E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2019 Petit LeMans @ Road Atlanta - travel tips

07-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

2019 Petit LeMans @ Road Atlanta - travel tips

After many years of wanting to go, I'm finally headed to Petit this year, then to BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Greenville

Corral tickets go on sale Aug 1st, but where does everyone stay? Checking AirBnB, there's some cool places in Lake Lanier and Lawrenceville, are those decent places? Any other suggestions?

I've been to my fair share of IMSA/F1 races, so I know what to bring. Just looking for some local area tips amongst motorsport fans.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Those aren't bad areas at all. If you want to be fancy, check to see if there's room at Chateau Elan. Its only a couple of miles from the track.

What's your plan? Just the race on Saturday, or are you coming in early for all the practice days?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post
Those aren't bad areas at all. If you want to be fancy, check to see if there's room at Chateau Elan. Its only a couple of miles from the track.

What's your plan? Just the race on Saturday, or are you coming in early for all the practice days?
I won't get there until Friday so I'll check out practice/qualifying, then race on Saturday.

Seems like Chateau Elan is booked.

Any great places in the area to eat?

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Anyone else going? Bought my corral tickets and 4 day superticket already, so I'm counting down the days! Plus, I heard that BMW is bringing in the hospitality chalet that they had at Sebring

Anything good to do at Lake Lanier?

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not sure I'm going to make it this year.

As a chapter president, I'm sure you're aware that BMW NA and BMWCCA don't always play nicely together. Your corral tickets don't get you into the hospitality chalet. Its been a point of contention for several years at this event that BMW NA doesn't seem to recognize that the CCA exists.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm going to make it this year.

As a chapter president, I'm sure you're aware that BMW NA and BMWCCA don't always play nicely together. Your corral tickets don't get you into the hospitality chalet. Its been a point of contention for several years at this event that BMW NA doesn't seem to recognize that the CCA exists.
I think we have a good relationship with BMWNA, especially with the Performance Center. They've historically supported our VIR corral in more ways than I could have asked; this is my first time at Petit, so I'm excited to be there.

I know corral tickets won't get me into hospitality, so I made other arrangements

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

So as an Atlanta native, can I trade area tips for event tips? This will be my first Petit Le Mans but I just got invited and signed up for the BMW hospitality chalet thing. Saturday only, hoping to get up there in the morning to poke around at everything before the race.

Most of my race event experience has been Indy and NASCAR so far - this looks like a much more free-flowing vibe throughout the day? Any parts to be sure we are around for?

Area tips:
- Chateau Elan is great but not surprised it's already booked up. If you're into wine, lots of other (better) wineries toward Dahlonega if you want to wander over there before/after your days at Road Atlanta. Fair warning - Georgia wine on the whole tries hard, but has its limits.
- Lake Lanier is great. A bit of a drive to Lake Lanier Islands which is where the more formal park setup is with manufactured beaches, etc. But lots of the bigger marinas along the east side of the lake and around Gainesville will rent little daysailers and stuff. Generally you will want to call ahead but can be a good distraction.
- Lawrenceville isn't a bad area but it's really just a residential suburb. If choosing between that and Gainesville or a Lake Lanier lake house, take one of the latter two. Or really in thay area, find a cool cabin on a lake or in the woods or something. Don't expect to be sightseeing in this part of the state.

Happy to answer more local questions, and welcome any tips on getting the most out of the event!
Appreciate 1
pseto799.00
      09-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
So as an Atlanta native, can I trade area tips for event tips? This will be my first Petit Le Mans but I just got invited and signed up for the BMW hospitality chalet thing. Saturday only, hoping to get up there in the morning to poke around at everything before the race.

Most of my race event experience has been Indy and NASCAR so far - this looks like a much more free-flowing vibe throughout the day? Any parts to be sure we are around for?

Area tips:
- Chateau Elan is great but not surprised it's already booked up. If you're into wine, lots of other (better) wineries toward Dahlonega if you want to wander over there before/after your days at Road Atlanta. Fair warning - Georgia wine on the whole tries hard, but has its limits.
- Lake Lanier is great. A bit of a drive to Lake Lanier Islands which is where the more formal park setup is with manufactured beaches, etc. But lots of the bigger marinas along the east side of the lake and around Gainesville will rent little daysailers and stuff. Generally you will want to call ahead but can be a good distraction.
- Lawrenceville isn't a bad area but it's really just a residential suburb. If choosing between that and Gainesville or a Lake Lanier lake house, take one of the latter two. Or really in thay area, find a cool cabin on a lake or in the woods or something. Don't expect to be sightseeing in this part of the state.

Happy to answer more local questions, and welcome any tips on getting the most out of the event!
Thanks! I'll be back and forth between the BMWCCA corral and the hospitality chalet. This is my first PLM, but I've been to many other IMSA/F1 races in the past. I'm not sure what's a good area to watch the race (certain turns or grandstands), but depending on the weather, will probably watch from the corral/chalet. I'm staying at the Lake Lanier resort, since BMWCCA reserved some rooms there at a decent rate.

Just curious, where did you sign up for the chalet? I already have my credentials for it, but have a friend that I'd like to get in

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post

Area tips:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Thanks! I'll be back and forth between the BMWCCA corral and the hospitality chalet. This is my first PLM, but I've been to many other IMSA/F1 races in the past. I'm not sure what's a good area to watch the race (certain turns or grandstands), but depending on the weather, will probably watch from the corral/chalet. I'm staying at the Lake Lanier resort, since BMWCCA reserved some rooms there at a decent rate.

Just curious, where did you sign up for the chalet? I already have my credentials for it, but have a friend that I'd like to get in
Petit is very free flowing. Be prepared to walk around a lot. Be sure to be there early on race-day so you can walk down to the front straight and check out the cars.

There's no real racetrack view from the corral, though the chapter usually has a TV set up. As a local chapter member, I'll say you're probably better off at the Chalet since you have access.

The two most popular places to watch the race are:
1. Spectator Hill - You sit at the top of turn 5 looking back at the esses and turn 4 and can watch the cars through to 6.
2. Turn 10 a/b. Cars coming down the back straight at full tilt braking into left and right 90 degree turns to go up the hill under the bridge.

I went over to turn 3 last year and enjoyed it. Its where cars will get up on two wheels jumping the curb, then go full-boogie down the esses and up 5.
Appreciate 1
pseto799.00
      09-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:

Sweet! Lake Lanier Resort has always seemed nice - I've never had the need to actually stay there, but looked nice from the outside and I think only a 30-40 min drive from Road Atlanta.

I actually got an email from BMW NA offering me tickets, parking, and chalet access, so I signed up that way. I'm very thankful that I was targeted, though I have no idea why I was. I did order and take delivery of an M550i this year...

Unfortunately the link in the email appears to be unique.

Quote:
Petit is very free flowing. Be prepared to walk around a lot. Be sure to be there early on race-day so you can walk down to the front straight and check out the cars.

There's no real racetrack view from the corral, though the chapter usually has a TV set up. As a local chapter member, I'll say you're probably better off at the Chalet since you have access.

The two most popular places to watch the race are:
1. Spectator Hill - You sit at the top of turn 5 looking back at the esses and turn 4 and can watch the cars through to 6.
2. Turn 10 a/b. Cars coming down the back straight at full tilt braking into left and right 90 degree turns to go up the hill under the bridge.

I went over to turn 3 last year and enjoyed it. Its where cars will get up on two wheels jumping the curb, then go full-boogie down the esses and up 5.
Great tips - thank you! Looked up a couple YT videos and it looks like a bunch of walking for sure. We are indeed planning to get there as early as we can to wander through the paddock and do the grid walk beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Pretty excited, only a week away!

Appreciate 1
ToddinTN504.00
      10-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
ToddinTN
Both Feet In
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG DINAN E93 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Pretty excited, only a week away!
Same here! This will be my 10th in a row, can’t wait for next weekend.
Appreciate 1
pseto799.00