Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run Flat issues. Two punctures in a row...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Ulf78
Rep
Drives: '08 325dT

Run Flat issues. Two punctures in a row...

I just wanted to post my recent experience with run flat tires.

Two months ago I got a puncture on my left rear tire on the motorway going about 150 km/h. Aside from the "impact" the whole ordeal was uneventful. No problems driving ~70 km at 100 km/h with the damaged tire either, it was already damaged beyond repair so no point going slower.

Fine, I buy two new run flat tires and mount them on the rear wheels, figuring that's that.

A couple of days ago the car tells me I have a flat, which I confirm at the nearest gas station. It is on the (new) left rear tire, same place as last time. With no spare there is not much to do, so I continue driving but keep my speed down. I notice right away that there is a lot more vibration than last time, and it is quickly getting worse. Finally I have to stop, not wanting to damage something else on the car, including the rim.

After inspecting the tire it turns out that the original puncture was a small hole right in the middle of the tread, easily pluggable. But of course, with the entire tire ruined that isn't an option anymore. Needless to say, from now on I will get non-run flat tires and keep a spare in the trunk. No more run flats for me...

First puncture:

2nd:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf78 View Post
I just wanted to post my recent experience with run flat tires.

Two months ago I got a puncture on my left rear tire on the motorway going about 150 km/h. Aside from the "impact" the whole ordeal was uneventful. No problems driving ~70 km at 100 km/h with the damaged tire either, it was already damaged beyond repair so no point going slower.

Fine, I buy two new run flat tires and mount them on the rear wheels, figuring that's that.

A couple of days ago the car tells me I have a flat, which I confirm at the nearest gas station. It is on the (new) left rear tire, same place as last time. With no spare there is not much to do, so I continue driving but keep my speed down. I notice right away that there is a lot more vibration than last time, and it is quickly getting worse. Finally I have to stop, not wanting to damage something else on the car, including the rim.

After inspecting the tire it turns out that the original puncture was a small hole right in the middle of the tread, easily pluggable. But of course, with the entire tire ruined that isn't an option anymore. Needless to say, from now on I will get non-run flat tires and keep a spare in the trunk. No more run flats for me...

First puncture:

2nd:

Holy johobo god almighty!! Yeah, I hate Run-Flats. I'm currently in the process of switching out. I feel like their a magnet for screws and other things that might puncture it. I have to put air in the tire every 5 or so days for the last couple months while I saved up some $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

You will be much happier with REAL tires...
Appreciate 0