Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help! E90 Sport Plus Edition owners are you getting bad tramlining?!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
EdwardNR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport Plus '10 E90

Help! E90 Sport Plus Edition owners are you getting bad tramlining?!

Hi there

I have a 2010 '60 plate E90 UK 3 SeriesSport Plus Edition which I bought used last October. I love the spec and the overall car, but find that it's the worst car I have ever driven for stability over bumps, tramlining (following camber and uneven surfaces) and squirming all over the place under heavy braking.

It's running the lightweight 18's that come with that spec (same as the ones on six cylinder engines I believe) with Bridgestone Potenza run flat rubber. I have had two 1 series with run flats before so I knew what to expect but this is ridiculous! I have taken it in to my local dealer (Wollaston) twice complaining of the bad experience and they have said the suspension geometry is fine and once put it down to tyre pressures!

I do have slightly more wear in one rear wheel than the other owing to a mishap needing a replacement early which I understand can affect it.

I just can't believe that I should just accept what is frankly dangerous, the wife wants me to swap the wheels (or the car!) over. I have a set of grubby 17's which I use with conventional winter tyres which just embarrass the standard spec wheel/tyre combo but I really don't want to give in and not run the correct ones for the car.

Anyone had similar issues? Apart from swapping to non run flats or smaller wheels is there much I can do?

I have ridden in a 1M and BMs with 19's that don't suffer so what's up!?

Maybe the 3 series saloon just doesn't like 18's!!

Ay help wold be appreciated!

Thanks for reading
(Rant over)

Cheers

Edd
Appreciate 0