E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

08-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #463
Davindawn
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhllen View Post
Do you know if Apple Carplay can be supported with the NaviFly unit?
I think it does, but you have to purchase the usb adapter separately from them or someone else. I'm pretty sure the Avin products are just these Navifly or other aliexpress units packaged with other items from the Chinese manufacturers, so they should work just the same. Not 100% sure though, they could differ in some way.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #464
Davindawn
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Exactly my thoughts. The ID7 interface looks a bit bland.

I emailed Navifly they said:
Qualcomm's model is only ID7 interface
PX6 model can have other user interfaces
Hey I have some possibly good news on this! Now take this with a grain of salt as I know the sellers main priority is to sell units... but I contacted Navifly last week as well just after to see if I could get an answer directly from them.

At first the contact person told me same as you. That the Qualcomm units only come with ID7 interface. But then he messaged back saying he tested a unit (albeit the Fseries 10" screen) and it is able to change between ID7, ID6 and NBT EVO interfaces. As far as I can tell the original NBT interface (updated CIC look/2nd image below) is no longer available which doesn't really bother me as the ID6 and EVO are the two I really wanted and intend to use anyway.

The unit he tested was actually the F series 10" iDrive screen that they offer. Idk, maybe you can contact them and see if they will test the actual unit for you and send pics or a video of it working? But he says that this unit and the 8.8" bubble dash version for our e9x series both run the same software on them and that it will be able to change between the same 3 interfaces. If not, there should be no problem sending it back and getting a refund.

I intended to get one this week but my service alert just came up on my car so I'm gonna have to spend the money on that instead and the android unit maybe next week or so. I want to do a bit more research in to what other parts I will need as well, since I want to add a rear/backup cam, android auto integration, gps splitter, aux splitter and maybe dash cam.

Image 01: Message from Navifly contact on aliexpress. Please forgive the resolution. Tried to just stitch the screens together in PS to make it a little easier for you to follow
Image 02: NBT Interface that is supposedly no longer on new units
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TiAgAu148.50
      08-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #465
preppyr6
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davindawn View Post
Hey I have some possibly good news on this! Now take this with a grain of salt as I know the sellers main priority is to sell units... but I contacted Navifly last week as well just after to see if I could get an answer directly from them.

At first the contact person told me same as you. That the Qualcomm units only come with ID7 interface. But then he messaged back saying he tested a unit (albeit the Fseries 10" screen) and it is able to change between ID7, ID6 and NBT EVO interfaces. As far as I can tell the original NBT interface (updated CIC look/2nd image below) is no longer available which doesn't really bother me as the ID6 and EVO are the two I really wanted and intend to use anyway.

The unit he tested was actually the F series 10" iDrive screen that they offer. Idk, maybe you can contact them and see if they will test the actual unit for you and send pics or a video of it working? But he says that this unit and the 8.8" bubble dash version for our e9x series both run the same software on them and that it will be able to change between the same 3 interfaces. If not, there should be no problem sending it back and getting a refund.

I intended to get one this week but my service alert just came up on my car so I'm gonna have to spend the money on that instead and the android unit maybe next week or so. I want to do a bit more research in to what other parts I will need as well, since I want to add a rear/backup cam, android auto integration, gps splitter, aux splitter and maybe dash cam.

Image 01: Message from Navifly contact on aliexpress. Please forgive the resolution. Tried to just stitch the screens together in PS to make it a little easier for you to follow
Image 02: NBT Interface that is supposedly no longer on new units
This is good news. I'm in the same boat in terms of looking for more UI flexibility. Ended up frying my amp in the rain so thats this weeks paycheck...next week maybe the new headunit
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #466
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I got a cold email from someone looking for me to buy their Android 9.0 units for $355 shipped. They told me they used dac db 3072. I googled the part number and nothing came up.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #467
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i montego blue - 2011

Garage List
does anyone know how the "can" wires should be connected with the navifly 10.25 for e90? there's plugs labeled "can1, can2, can a, can b, can c"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #468
drumm8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 zhp

Does audio quality in this really suck that bad? I currently use Bluetooth with my logic7 setup... Is it worse than that?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #469
Jm328i
Rep
Drives: 08 328i 6spd Manual

Anyone have any advice to make the screen more secure. It feels like I can move it up and down even when screwed in with the single screw? Also has anyone had an issue with like a poping sound that occurs every couple of seconds almost like a loop with the head unit on/off once you plug in the main harness from the Avin unit to piggyback off the headunit. When I have the head unit out and plug in the Avin harness it powers up and then the head unit had a flashing red light that is on the left and sound mirrors the flashing light on the head unit. If I take out the harness and put it back to factory harness the light and sounds go alway.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #470
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumm8 View Post
Does audio quality in this really suck that bad? I currently use Bluetooth with my logic7 setup... Is it worse than that?
I really think all the audio issues are related to the android OS at max volume. The signal is then clipped and then connected to the stereo system via aux which of course causes problems. Can anyone plug headphones and listen to the android headunit and set the volume or it to a clear reasonable volume and then plug it into the aux?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #471
Jm328i
Rep
Drives: 08 328i 6spd Manual

I have it setup in my car and so far the audio is great with CarPlay and apps on the android side. Honestly that’s all I use. I actually was somehow able to unplug the AUX and still get sound from the unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #472
drumm8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 zhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm328i View Post
I have it setup in my car and so far the audio is great with CarPlay and apps on the android side. Honestly that’s all I use. I actually was somehow able to unplug the AUX and still get sound from the unit?
do you have Logic7?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:55 AM   #473
beaverHausen
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuthy335 View Post
does anyone know how the "can" wires should be connected with the navifly 10.25 for e90? there's plugs labeled "can1, can2, can a, can b, can c"
There is a thread on xda developers for Avin, might be worth a post on there?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/avin-usa-bmw-e-x-series-t3678889/page3
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #474
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hi.

So what is the current best android unit to go for?

I saw on the Vehicular DIY youtube channel the he is recommending the Secaine units.

Ive also seen the Navifly ones on Aliexpress.

Im guessing an Octacore unit is the way to go?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #475
Bimasylum
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328xi wagon E91

I just bought my 2012 E91 with Navi CIC and the first thing I did was install the Dasatai 8.8 Android 7.1 touchscreen screen with CarPlay. I am posting here because I believe there is only one manufacturer over there in Hong Kong of the Android upgrades anyway. I purchased mine thru EBay hoping to use buyer protection in case things went bad being the first time I bought anything overseas. Received box from Hong Kong in a timely fashion. Screen, main wiring harness, reverse light camera, white CarPlay dongle, microphone with cable, USB adapter cable. Right away I noticed the main wiring connector they sent me to the screen had three broken wires and with no wiring diagram could not fix myself and had to wait three weeks for a new cable to arrive from Hong Kong. Decent customer service on that. I also noticed the reverse camera they sent me(free)was substandard and ended up rebuying the hatch release camera from AvinUSA for $70 which was better. Wiring diagrams the same for both cameras. Went ahead and wired reverse camera from back to front and that was time consuming with no video anywhere on my wagon for help. Impossible for me for the wiring to remain factory but fairly close and only I know itÂ’s there. Main cable arrived from Hong Kong and preassembly watched as many u tube videos as possible, mostly bad a couple helpful. Tear down of front dash and glove box area I can now do in 5 minutes now I have done it so many times lol. BMW stuff is tough and nothing breaks. So Install went well. Let me say I have no interest in the Android system itself I just use it to interface Apple CarPlay. So all I use is original BMW and Apple CarPlay 99% of the time. I can either use Bluetooth or front aux to play music. I my car has 6FL iPod USB adapter option. I give the system a 4 out of 5 stars and the only reason itÂ’s not 5 is about once a week now the screen wonÂ’t boot after sitting for prolonged periods. Am working with Dasatai to get that resolved thru upgrade software. Anybody also have that problem let me know.
Also when I ordered off of eBay it was the Android 7.1 system and what I ended up getting was the Android 9.0 with 4gig system. So I think they are updating so quickly it’s hard for the sellers to keep up.

Last edited by Bimasylum; 08-28-2019 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Add content
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #476
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimasylum View Post
Let me say I have no interest in the Android system itself I just use it to interface Apple CarPlay. So all I use is original BMW and Apple CarPlay 99% of the time.
There are now a few manufacturers of a Carplay addon for the factory CCC/CIC, even wireless as of a couple months ago.. If you're just using this Android unit for the carplay functionality, this may be a better way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:33 AM   #477
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimasylum View Post
Let me say I have no interest in the Android system itself I just use it to interface Apple CarPlay. So all I use is original BMW and Apple CarPlay 99% of the time.
There are now a few manufacturers of a Carplay addon for the factory CCC/CIC, even wireless as of a couple months ago.. If you're just using this Android unit for the carplay functionality, this may be a better way to go.
Any links??
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #478
Kevink15
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

So after reading through all of this I'm hoping this solves some areas I need in my new 06 E90. Seeing as Canadians with the Premium add-on did not get bluetooth.

Things I need that this checks off:
- Bluetooth
- Carplay
- Nav
- A bunch of useless tech that I probably dont need but cool to have lol

Concern around the aux is audio, but I have Logic 7 and currently use my stock aux as a temp BT adaptor plugin and music is decent to me. Would this Android HU be an actual upgrade to my current setup?

I'll be looking at the new Android 9 version. Anyone with the older models have any issues with slowing down after awhile like the cheap android, chinese TV boxes? Will apps eventually go obsolete?

Also seems like I should just get the unit from Avin as the accessories are cheaper elsewhere such as USB, Carplay dongle and back camera/trunk release combo.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #479
Pezthebrave
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D Msport

So i ordered the latest 8.8 inch from Avin and fitted it in my E90 CCC a couple of days ago. Pro's and con's as follows.

Pro's
Screen is much better, so just using it in BMW mode looks sharper and clearer.
Hands free phone calls great.
Sound seems about the same, with my Logic7.
Hard to say anything else good about it.

Con's
Idrive controller is pretty much useless outside the BMW mode.
Apart from streaming and calls, the bluetooth is useless. Cant connect to any bluetooth devices other than phone (which im gutted about).
Most of the apps are glitchy in one way or another.
The touch screen isn't easy to use sunk into the dash, think the none idrive would be easier to use.

Is it worth the cost? Maybe if your fitting it yourself to keep the cost down. £350 - £400 i can just about live with. But if i had paid the £750 - £800 quoted for supply and fitting, id be well disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:36 AM   #480
preppyr6
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Quick question for folks in the US (or anyone), I just bought this (CCC version) and am wondering if I need the GPS splitter or not. I dont use GPS in CCC, so could I just re-route the GPS to the android side? Or will that cause some kind of error in CCC.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:49 AM   #481
N5ifty4our
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyr6 View Post
Quick question for folks in the US (or anyone), I just bought this (CCC version) and am wondering if I need the GPS splitter or not. I dont use GPS in CCC, so could I just re-route the GPS to the android side? Or will that cause some kind of error in CCC.
The GPS splitter is best. The car's GPS is already in the best place. Just buy the $15 adapter. Way worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #482
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Has anyone tried out the latest PX6 10" unit that mimics the F30 iDrive screen but is installed into a non-iDrive e90?

I've been looking for options to add Android Auto capability to my non-iDrive car and this one seems to be the most flexible in terms of functionality, as well as have the newest hardware of any of the add-ons or head unit replacement devices.

I have no issues with the quality of audio coming from the aux port (I currently just use a Tunai Firefly just with Bluetooth volume set to 50% to reduce clipping), I just want to make sure that the output of the device itself is up to snuff with at least the Tunai Firefly. I'm not an audiophile, I just want to make sure it wouldn't be a downgrade in audio quality from what I'm used to currently.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #483
davbay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I just purchased a Navifly Snapdragon unit from Aliexpress. Once it comes in and I get it installed, I'll get back with how it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #484
Col Mustard
Pushing Rope in the Cellar
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former - 335d Montego

Garage List
2010 335D  [9.00]
Is this the one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048302457.html
Appreciate 0