E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Still misfiring after I've tried everything Help! What are my options?

07-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
xlr231
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 - 2009 335i

Still misfiring after I've tried everything Help! What are my options?

I've been having misfire issues on cylinder 2 for a while now. I've swapped plugs and coils. Then realized the oil cap was leaking. Replaced that and it seemed to fix the leak. Swapped the plugs on that cylinder again. Had the hpfp and lp fuel sensor replaced. Then Walnut blasted all the intake valves.

Finally took it to another shop they a diagnosed bad injector, i guess the seals were leaking and it was causing blow back. It was covered in black soot. They swapped in 3 new injectors, still had a little bit of misfiring, then one of the fuel rails broke and flooded the engine in fuel.

I took it back they fixed the issue and swapped all the coils that were soaked with gas. Still misfiring. Took it back again they reseated the injector again, i think they said it wasn't in there right. The misfires are less severe but i can still get it to misfire.

For example in 4th gear doing about 35-40 mph engine at around 1800rpm. If i gently accelerate so it doesn't kick down a gear I'll start hearing and feeling misses somewhere between 2200-3200rpm. If i keep on it after a few seconds the check engine light comes on and i can confirm it's always cylinder 2. The last time i tried it i also got a 30ff code with it.

Any ideas? I'm running out of ideas. I don't want to keep throwing money at it but it's hard to justify walking away and taking a huge loss. Carmax offered me $5,000, which puts me at a $12,000 loss between the depreciation, maintenance, and repairs after only 1 year and 10k miles of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Compression and leak down test
      07-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
xlr231
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 - 2009 335i

Sorry for the long post, but this took a turn for the weird...

I took the car back to the shop that did my injectors and they are saying they think it may be a DME issue. So they said they were running some more tests to determine if that is the cause.

One thing forgot to mention above is when the fuel line broke, I had it towed to a BMW dealer. They had replaced my HPFP and some other items in the fuel system a few months earlier and the shop that did my injectors was closed over the weekend and I wasn't sure if they had an after hours drop off. So BMW looked at it said it would be $2200 to replace 2 injectors and some coils. So I told them I'd have it towed back to the indy shop since they should cover it since i just had those injectors replaced.

Anyway, yesterday the indy shop calls me and says the diagnostic failed - they are claiming the BMW dealer took out all 6 of my injectors, and replaced them with a bunch of random used injectors (none of which are index 12, what they installed in bank 1) that don't match the coding in the DME.

So I called the BMW dealer, they deny it, said they didn't take out any injectors except #2 where the broken fuel rail was. Also said the injectors were aftermarket and they wouldn't have any aftermarket injectors.

So I have a few questions

The indy sent me this stating all injectors detected as faulty
Name:  2New_Doc_2018-07-27_1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  235.8 KB
Could this be because they were not programmed with the right numbers?

Are the VDO injectors any different than OEM BMW injectors? The dealer claimed they don't fit right, but from the photos I've seen they look the same with just the part number and BMW logo scratched off. Although I am pissed if they did install non-OEM injectors since they charged me $320 ea for the part.

Another thing, are the injector numbers always 5xx2xx? They sent me this, with what they claim are the numbers on some of the "swapped" injectors.
Name:  3New_Doc_2018-07-27_2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  233.5 KB

I took this photo before I dropped the car off and can barely make out the number on the injector looks like 585211 - they are reporting it's 585112
Name:  2Capture.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  98.8 KB

Maybe they are dyslexic and or can't read the numbers and screwed up the programming? One thing that's odd is if you reverse the numbers in sets of 3 it's always only 1 digit of the 3 that is off. 584 210 vs 585 112

Also, did the MSD81 DME have the issue wit MOSFETs failing?

Last edited by xlr231; 07-28-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0