E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Can I Remove the alignment pins permanently?

04-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Can I Remove the alignment pins permanently?

I have seen several threads indicating that removal of the alignment pins from the front of the car (see image) is a straightforward way to add camber.
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218440)
(http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=dinan+hole)

As I am having my BMW Performance Suspension (old kit from Tischer) and M3 lower control arms installed this weekend, I was considering removing these pins to get maximum camber up front after the install.

Can anyone confirm that this is an acceptable practice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

yes, that is perfectly acceptable. Make sure to get an alignment after your suspension work, to get everything set properly.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
I co sign ^
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thanks for the replies.

I sure thought I could do it. And the car is scheduled for an alignment as soon as the parts are installed. I even have a trailer lined up if necessary.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
BimmersMania
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport

Thank you so much. I've been searching for the pic of this "alignment pin"

My car has been lowered with KW Street Comfort. Can I adjust the camber with this alignment pin?

Currently my left front is -1 and my right front is -0.7. The specs allow the max of -0.7. I just want to bring the left back in spec.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 320i 2010 European

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968tomr View Post
I have seen several threads indicating that removal of the alignment pins from the front of the car (see image) is a straightforward way to add camber.
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218440)
(http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=dinan+hole)

As I am having my BMW Performance Suspension (old kit from Tischer) and M3 lower control arms installed this weekend, I was considering removing these pins to get maximum camber up front after the install.

Can anyone confirm that this is an acceptable practice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tom
yes it is acceptable my shop removed the pin to correct the camber.
but the left side has still positive camber does anyone know what is causing it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
David9962000
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

I'm getting mine removed soon for more + camber.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #8
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

I removed them myself for the added camber. You can drill right through them if necessary. Even with the pins removed and strut pushed all the way in you will still be within factory limits.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
but the left side has still positive camber does anyone know what is causing it ?
something is bent and needs to be replaced. Did you hit a curb or anything? if you bent the lower control arm and pushed it inward, it would result in positive camber.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 320i 2010 European

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
something is bent and needs to be replaced. Did you hit a curb or anything? if you bent the lower control arm and pushed it inward, it would result in positive camber.
i inspected it nothing interesting could it be a bent that is not visible to the eye ? one time i've hitted a pothole that bent the rim but had it repaired. last july i had an accident at 50km/h could that be the reason ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Please help a noobie question...

Okay so I have a couple problems with trying to get my local Firestone to do my front camber adjustment (I purchased the special BMW camber adjustment tool also).

1) What size/kind and where can I get the socket for removing the strut tower bar?
2) How do you remove the other strut tower bar bolt on the firewall (probably need to remove a bunch of stuff to get to it)?
3) How do you remove the alignment pin? Does it unscrew (Is it an Allen wrench)? Do you push it up from underneath? Do you get a hammer and pound it from the top?
4) What kind of camber kits would you recommend for an e90?

Currently without the 500lbs of weight in the vehicle, I'm seeing a camber of -2.0 degrees (yes two whole degrees) on my drivers side and -0.2 degrees on my passenger side.

Regards,
Faz

Last edited by fazman; 08-09-2011 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Okay I'm going to answer my own question... I went out at midnight into the street with my tool kit in hand and found out the following. A basic Allen wrench will fit into the Alignment Pin head so i should be able to unscrew it with that. I'm suspecting that I should loosen the suspension before messing with the pin.

Next I tried to fit the 11mm socket over the torx looking like bolt on the strut tower bar and it fit perfectly. So I have all I need to get my local Firestone to do the job. I personally feel the alignment pin is more harm then good (since i have a life time alignment deal with them) so it's safer to run around without that pin (I know someone will end up stripping the pin and it will be a PITA to fix).

I would still like to get an idea from others about front camber kits. I have an e90 with sport

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #13
335togo
Daily Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 Sold, 11 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
I removed them myself for the added camber. You can drill right through them if necessary. Even with the pins removed and strut pushed all the way in you will still be within factory limits.
how did you get pin out thx

Last edited by 335togo; 03-03-2017 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: answered
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335togo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
how did you get pin out thx
Step by step:

-Loosen three strut tower bolts
-Use an Allen wrench on the pin and unscrew pin, lefty loosey. I think it's a 3mm, but try a couple and use the one that fits tightly.
-push strut all the way over towards the motor
-tighten those three bolts on the strut tower again.
-go get an alignment.

It's pretty simple, and I've done it on two different cars now without stripping the pin. With that said, it is an aluminum hex head, so stripping it is totally possible. If that happens, just use progressively larger drill bits to drill straight through the pin. You'll probably need an E10 socket to take the strut tower brace off and swing it out of the way so you can get your drill in there. I've also head of people using vice grips, you can try that also if your pin gets stripped.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #15
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Sorry to bump this ancient thread, but after reading all of these alignment pin threads, I just want to be sure on the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Step by step:

-Loosen three strut tower bolts
-Use an Allen wrench on the pin and unscrew pin, lefty loosey. I think it's a 3mm, but try a couple and use the one that fits tightly.
-push strut all the way over towards the motor
-tighten those three bolts on the strut tower again.
-go get an alignment.

It's pretty simple, and I've done it on two different cars now without stripping the pin. With that said, it is an aluminum hex head, so stripping it is totally possible. If that happens, just use progressively larger drill bits to drill straight through the pin. You'll probably need an E10 socket to take the strut tower brace off and swing it out of the way so you can get your drill in there. I've also head of people using vice grips, you can try that also if your pin gets stripped.
Does the suspension have to be unloaded when unscrewing the alignment pin? What about if I have to drill it out?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 04:29 AM   #16
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
Bad bushings can lead to this as well as bend suspension components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5498 View Post
Does the suspension have to be unloaded when unscrewing the alignment pin? What about if I have to drill it out?
no but it might help depending if the pin is pressed against the side wall.
Appreciate 0