E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Odometer Rollback

07-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Odometer Rollback

I posted in general forum too but I am hoping to find an expert here

I bought a car a month ago at 72k miles from some used car dealer.

I replaced the battery few days after. (disconnected it twice) but nothing happened on the odometer.

I disconnected battery 3rd time couple days ago. (this time, I made a spark when a wrench touched somewhere while turning a bolt. big deal??)

This time I noticed mileage went up to 92k miles and there is a Dot next to the miles. (I honestly don't remember if there was a dot when I bought the car at 72k)

A person at BMW said it can't happen just by disconnecting the battery.

He said he can let the module talk with the odometer and fix the dot. He doesn't know what number will show up. (some true miles stored somewhere)

I read some people experienced odometer error after replacing the battery.
I also heard this guy talking about Shorting Out (not exactly sure what that meant) the system to fix the error? also heard about taking out the fuse to reset the odometer??

Do you think it's possible I freaked out the system by making a spark while disconnecting the battery?

I am going to talk with a dealer who sold me the car about rollback issue but I think I have to figure out what the true mileage is.

I am planning to keep the car since it's a rear drive Wagon which is hard to find. I just need to find out real miles so I can figure out car's real value and maintenance cost I have to take care of. (at around 90k, I have to do it right now smh)

If you have any knowledge, please share
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I talked to bmw indie shop and they said there is a Protocol when you disconnect the battery. I guess I might messed up something while doing that.

He talked about doing Hard Reset. Is it possible to do it own my own??
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

These are questions for the coding subforum or the general subforum not the stereo and bluetooth subforum.
Instrument Cluster replacement and recoding is discussed there.
Its not and easy process.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

Disconnecting the battery shouldn't cause any problems in relation to this
many of us have done it with no problems when upgrading the stereo.

You might start off by seeing if the Vin numbers match in the Kombi
Cas and Frm modules. My guess is somebody replaced one of those
modules and did not fully program the car correctly.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...rument+Cluster

Last edited by ctuna; 07-10-2018 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

First things first, run a carfax. If it's been regularly serviced that should give you an idea of the ballpark mileage it has. It's possible it was rolled back but it's not common on e90s and I'd sure think you'd notice the temper dot if it was on before. This is an interesting one, Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I ran it before I purchase. It was 60k on March 2015. So they put about 12k in 3 years. I mean it's possible if you use this as 'Wagon' (car is 328i wagon) here and there. I saw some rust underneath the car so I figured it sat for a while too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
First things first, run a carfax. If it's been regularly serviced that should give you an idea of the ballpark mileage it has. It's possible it was rolled back but it's not common on e90s and I'd sure think you'd notice the temper dot if it was on before. This is an interesting one, Keep us posted
Appreciate 0