E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Self adjusting clutch, alignment tool, advice needed

07-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Self adjusting clutch, alignment tool, advice needed

I'm going to be fitting a new DMF and clutch soon but still haven't quite figured out how I should align the clutch disc.

First, the tool is too long, I can't put the pressure plate on without removing the retaining clip. I could cut the tool in half to make it shorter BUT the tool is not 100% tight in there - the tool lines up the clutch plate perfectly ONLY if I'm pushing it in by hand, if I let go the clutch plate sags a bit. You can see in the 4th pic the bottom gap is smaller than it is in the 3rd pic. I think it sags by about 1mm. I'm worried I wont be able to put the gearbox on.

I've never done a clutch replacement before so not feeling very confident.

Any of you have done it (maybe more than once) and know what to expect? I need your advice. What should I do?

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

I think that the problem here is that you have the wrong alignment tool. You need a tool that is much shorter and detachable and will center the clutch and then allow the pressure plate to be installed over top, with removal of the tool after release of the SAC retainer.

Here is the tool that you need:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-luk-part...ol/ct1011~luk/

Look at the DIY below and see how they use this alignment tool:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec..._Replacing.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:40 AM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
I think that the problem here is that you have the wrong alignment tool. You need a tool that is much shorter and detachable and will center the clutch and then allow the pressure plate to be installed over top, with removal of the tool after release of the SAC retainer.

Here is the tool that you need:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-luk-part...ol/ct1011~luk/

Look at the DIY below and see how they use this alignment tool:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec..._Replacing.htm
It does look like I bought the wrong tool. But now I'm worried if the shorter tool will have play when inserted and the clutch would sag too. Maybe I should remove the retainer clip from the pressure plate before fitting and use my longer tool I have now? This way I can make the clutch disc perfectly centered by pushing the tool with my hand. And then tighten the pressure plate slowly by turning each bold gradually.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Don't remove the retaining clip until the pressure plate is installed!!! The clutch won't work if you do!!! And, it will be very expensive to fix because you will require special tools to put the SAC back into the wear position (needed for installation). It will be far cheaper to just buy the proper clutch centering tool. The proper tool works and keeps the clutch centered. You have the wrong centering tool.
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      07-24-2018, 03:42 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I posted a DIY on installing an N52 clutch. I found the same problem that the tool was too long. I cut about 3/8ths of an inch off the alignment tool IIRC (check my DIY). It worked fine. All the tool does is center the clutch disk between the flywheel and pressure plate. All you are trying to do is make sure the clutch disk is close enough to allow the trans input shaft to find the splines in the clutch disk.

When I did the clutch in my wife's Z3, I bought a BMW clutch kit, which didn't come with an alignment tool, so I had to use a universal clutch alignment tool. Everything went fine with that install as well. Alignment of the clutch disk is not super critical, it just needs to be close enough.
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      07-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Alignment of the clutch disk is not super critical, it just needs to be close enough.
That's what was worrying me. I was afraid that 1mm sag might prevent the shaft from going in. I'll buy the short version of the tool with the bolt in the middle. That way I can use the bolt to push the tool to make sure the clutch is as centered as possible before I start tightening the pressure plate. If the bolt is thin enough to get through the hole on the retaining clip.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
That's what was worrying me. I was afraid that 1mm sag might prevent the shaft from going in. I'll buy the short version of the tool with the bolt in the middle. That way I can use the bolt to push the tool to make sure the clutch is as centered as possible before I start tightening the pressure plate. If the bolt is thin enough to get through the hole on the retaining clip.

The tool you speak of is designed to have the bolt unscrew, leave the splined centering part of the tool in place during pressure plate install, then you release the pressure plate retaining clip and pull out the centering spline. I am sure that you can find one locally, or by mail order within the UK.

I agree that 1 or 2 mm off center is not a big deal - it will just be harder to wiggle the 140 lb transmission back in place, especially if you are underneath the car on your back with the trans on a jack.
Appreciate 0