E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY 2011 Cargo Net for E90

12-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

DIY 2011 Cargo Net for E90

I just performed my first mod . Of course this mod would not apply to those that are fortunate enough to have the front cargo hooks but alot of people like me don't, I think they stopped somewhere in model year 2010.

As everyone is aware for 2011 cars they did away with the front cargo hooks on the E90 therefore I am unable to use the BMW cargo net. My car was built in Oct 2010, my CA ordered the parts (hooks, plates etc) to install the BMW cargo net for me at delivery so he had his service rep pulled out the rear cargo liner only to find that for my build date the factory did not put in the threaded holes under the liner all was there was bare metal therefore there was no way to install the hooks.

When I sold my Lexus IS350 it came with the cargo net and archor hooks so I took them out and have now used them in my new BMW, they work perfectly. All I really wanted was something to hold stuff that might spill like a gallon of milk, washer fluid jugs, etc..anything like that.

The cargo net is easy to obtain for anyone but the anchor points might be harder, maybe a parts dept or if you know someone who works at a lexus or toyota dealer you can probably get them to order you the 2 archor points, there probably not very expensive. The archor points works like this when you turn the screw in on the other side of the anchor it has a plastic expandable part that when the screw goes inside it then expands the plastic part so it anchors hard inside, then the bottom part of the anchor has a plastic long peg that goes in just to support the whole anchor itself. So I marked little holes with a sharpie on the liner where I wanted to mount the anchor so I knew where to drill, I used a small bit to make a hole, smaller hole at the bottom for the peg and a little larger bit for the top for the screw to go. I just took the bits and held them up to the anchor pegs to know just how large of a bit I needed. Better to make it little smaller than too big. I judged it perfectly. The liner is really tuff stuff.

Here are the pics, it turned out perfect for me and holds very tight and secure. I'm not using it for a tire or anything so for small items like this it's perfect. The anchor on the side where the battery cover is I put an additional screw at the top just to give it some additional support since that area is more movable than the other side, you can see the screw from the pic, you really can't see the additional screw unless you put your head way inside so no biggie for me, just I will have to take it out if I need to get to the battery but don't plan on that for awhile. The hole is so small anyway it's not a big deal, just trying to explain as much as I can here. Also the first set of photos I realized I had the loop on the wrong place for the anchor so the next set of photos I changed it so it's around the round part of the anchor. I literally took the photos right after I did it. I can also removed the net when I don't need it or for loading in luggage, etc..Yes I am going to remove the plastic Lexus name clip. lol.

Pics.

Appreciate 1
iatacs19458.50
      12-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
nosmash
Private
Rep
Drives: an oil burner

good idea. does the screw actually go into the metal part of the boot or just through the liner?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmash View Post
good idea. does the screw actually go into the metal part of the boot or just through the liner?
The screw just goes through the liner, it's the same process as the Lexus it goes through the liner only. The BMW liner is really strong stuff so you need a drill bit to make the hole correctly and there small holes. The way it's designed, the anchor is all plastic so when you turn the screw in the anchor it expands the plastic piece on the other side of the anchor and the expanded part is inside the liner so once it's expanded it is not coming out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

good job
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Peanutbutter_N_Jelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi 6MT

Nice mod. Seems like it could be pretty useful. Great photos too by the way

06 Mystic Blue Metallic 325xi 6MT
92 Black/Grey GMC Typhoon
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

i have a 2011 and my mounting points were there, of course i had to buy new trunk trim but the metal has the appropriate holes
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Great write-up, OP. FYI, I went to buy the parts from a Lexus dealership nearby. The hooks are $24.50 EACH, and $1.50 for the bolts/screws that goes in it EACH. Cargo net is $39.99. Bought it anyway since it's still cheaper than getting a new liner from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
i have a 2011 and my mounting points were there, of course i had to buy new trunk trim but the metal has the appropriate holes
Yeah one day when I have time I will pull out the liner to see for myself but I trusted my ca and he already had all the parts so don't see why he would lie about it. But in any case I liked how this net turned out anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Great write-up, OP. FYI, I went to buy the parts from a Lexus dealership nearby. The hooks are $24.50 EACH, and $1.50 for the bolts/screws that goes in it EACH. Cargo net is $39.99. Bought it anyway since it's still cheaper than getting a new liner from BMW.
Awesome, glad to see this DIY helped. The Lexus cargo net is not a perfect fit at the bottom anchors area since the bmw anchors are a little to close together but it works and the net holds a few bags. It's definitely secure and keeps stuff from tipping over. I like it alot.

WWONG, I was thinking if you had the part # of the hooks and the screws that you got at Lexus parts dept can you post them on this thread, it might help someone else that might do the same thing as you did. I already had them from my prev car I sold so I didn't have to buy them and I wouldn't know what the part# was. Thanks.

Last edited by Bimmerforlife; 04-26-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Never-Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi E90

Can't another car's hooks work with this? F paying $24 for a damn hook.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Yeah one day when I have time I will pull out the liner to see for myself but I trusted my ca and he already had all the parts so don't see why he would lie about it. But in any case I liked how this net turned out anyway.
Did you have the trunk trim with holes....maybe not, maybe that was the only missing piece. I bought the trunk trim first, due to an audio retrofit, then the Euro Luggage Package Pieces (most of which were shipped as part of the trunk trim)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why not just use some I bolts/nuts/washers and S hooks? Total cost $2 instead of $24/hook. Won't look as pretty but you won't be able to tell unless you're inside the trunk...

Or you could do something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...Q5fAccessories

I'm guessing a bolt threads into them. Even if not you could tap it easily.