E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP, trick EAC Sensor in n51 radiator

02-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

HELP, trick EAC Sensor in n51 radiator

Hello, so i needed to replace my radiator due to damage and the n51 was about 8 times more expensive than the regular one so i go that, i took the sensor out of the old radiator and attached it to the new one but now i'm getting a SES light.
Based on my research this is because the new radiator is not coated with the magnesium oxide stuff and sensor is throwing a code. Is there anyway to "code" this sensor out of the system or to create a "bypass" or something like that to get rid of the light? the car drives fine and tailpipe emissions are good but that stupid radiator.... i dont want to spend $500 on another one considering the cars are worth so little.
What are my choices and can this communication between sensor and ecu be removed or tricked?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

It probably could be tricked, but I am not even aware of what that sensor is for. If somebody knew it's purpose and desired values, then it would be possible to emulate some values and keep everything happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It can likely be done, it just won't be easy, your going to have to purchase the special radiator to make the SES light go away.

The radiator sensor is designed to prevent people like you from replacing it with a standard radiator, next time do some research and don't buy a N51 equipped car if you don't want the headaches.

BMW equipped it onto the car to meet its ultra low emissions goals on the N51, the radiator has a coating that cleans ozone as the car is driven and air is passed through it, the sensor does nothing but enforce its installed on the car.

In California having the sensor removed will tripped the SES light and will prevent you from passing SMOG check and being able to register your vehicle to drive on public roads.

Good luck, you can drive your car as is with the standard N52 radiator installed, there is nothing wrong with it, its just not emissions legal.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
coriolis14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

How many miles do you have on your car?

My EAC sensor blew out at around 70k miles and I had a dealer replace the entire radiator under warranty. If you have the N51 and bought it in CA, BMW must guarantee your car will pass a state smog test for 15 years or 150k miles (whichever comes first). I'm not sure if the EAC sensor failure would cause a smog fail though.

You might want to review the files I've uploaded (copies of the warranty + manual for 2007 models).

EDIT: Forums are blocking me from uploading the files. Look here for more info about your warranty:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx

You should be covered if you fall within the warranty specs.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Won't be covered, he replaced his because of damage, it didn't fail, not to mention it's already been replaced and the dealer won't touch it now.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Im not planning to go to the dealer and i can get my car to pass smog anyway it is.
i understand the reason why it is there and what it does. I just wanted to keep my new radiator and get rid of check engine light, although i did buy the correct radiator today i don't want to go through the hassle of taking half my car apart just to change it. Thats why i asked if it can be coded out or tricked someway.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis14 View Post
How many miles do you have on your car?

My EAC sensor blew out at around 70k miles and I had a dealer replace the entire radiator under warranty. If you have the N51 and bought it in CA, BMW must guarantee your car will pass a state smog test for 15 years or 150k miles (whichever comes first). I'm not sure if the EAC sensor failure would cause a smog fail though.

You might want to review the files I've uploaded (copies of the warranty + manual for 2007 models).

EDIT: Forums are blocking me from uploading the files. Look here for more info about your warranty:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx

You should be covered if you fall within the warranty specs.
i have 35k but i changed it because of damage.
Appreciate 0