E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I cloned my MSV70 DME

06-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #771
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

dunno if this is the same thing, but:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/PerlQt/doc/starting.pod
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #772
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
that helps understand where those are at least. the EEPROM is the 4kb external flash that contains adaptations, CBS data, EWS rolling codes, etc. So it doesn't sound like LAR would read RAM anyway.

Are you most comfortable with JavaScript? I'm a perl programmer myself (well, as a hobby, not by trade). But I can understand supporting a simpler/common language.
When I use LAR on the MS45, it basically just spits out stuff with the internal memory map (though it won't let me input a large enough number to get to the external flash). So in my case 0x0 - 0x70000 gets me the internal flash, and 0x3F98000 - 0x400000 gets me the internal RAM. Serial eeprom might be readable, but I can't figure out where it's mapped.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 06-07-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #773
pheno
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: E61 520d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Quote:
dunno if this is the same thing, but:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/PerlQt/doc/starting.pod

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at both.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #774
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

So I played around with my dad's E60 -- I *think* the sport mode request is transmitted on ARBID 0x28d. When you press the button, EF FF is broadcast on that arbid (proportional to how long you're pressing the button), and when you release the button, 3 messages with "DF FF" are broadcast. A single "EF FF" followed by 3 "DF FF"s is enough to trigger sport mode.

On the E90 cluster, I think you should be able to see the sport indicator by setting FDC_ID_MONITOR and FDC_VERBAUT both to "aktiv"

Couple caveats:
My dad's E60 is an MSD80 car, and the sport auto shifter is what's processing the button request. However, I suspect the actual message for the button trigger is the same regardless of platform or source. That's the beauty of a CAN-based setup I guess.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 06-18-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #775
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I haven't set the cluster yet - but with Terra's assistance I now have the sport switch working on MSV70 - without requiring the CAN messages (which the E90 doesn't have the module for).

Now, what does it do exactly? Don't really know yet - I'm guessing it's not a big difference. However, one idea I have is to use it to set the exhaust flap pin to open an electric exhaust cutout. So in "sport" mode, it would open the cutout (maybe still have it closed at idle / low speed).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #776
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine
I haven't set the cluster yet - but with Terra's assistance I now have the sport switch working on MSV70 - without requiring the CAN messages (which the E90 doesn't have the module for).

Now, what does it do exactly? Don't really know yet - I'm guessing it's not a big difference. However, one idea I have is to use it to set the exhaust flap pin to open an electric exhaust cutout. So in "sport" mode, it would open the cutout (maybe still have it closed at idle / low speed).
Thats cool.

Using the exhaust flap and sport mode for an open exhaust would be really neat.

I might try jumping the pins just to see what the effect on the active steering is like. Not sure about the more aggressive throttle maps.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #777
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Thats cool.

Using the exhaust flap and sport mode for an open exhaust would be really neat.

I might try jumping the pins just to see what the effect on the active steering is like. Not sure about the more aggressive throttle maps.
Jumping the pins won't work. You need to use a resistor somewhere between 3.5kΩ and 18kΩ (real Z4 switch is at 10kΩ when closed IIRC)

Edit: And you would have to add the right option ($224?) to the VO and recode your EPS module for the tighter steering to work.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 06-27-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:26 AM   #778
eld
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 525xi

Hello, guys. Just got my cloned MSV70 yesterday and everything is working great. This thread saved me lots of money

btw, is there somewhere electric schema for MSV70, maybe i could get fixed my problem with BSD line for oil level sensor on the old unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #779
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

great! I don't think there's any schematics though. I'd love to see one if there was - it would probably be a couple hundred pages.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #780
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Probably have to be very good friends with someone at Siemens for a schematic. I don't think even BMW would have them.

Hell, I'd be happy with datasheets for some of those components. A lot of them seem to only be accessible if you're in the industry.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:50 PM   #781
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Got the sport button flashed and working in my car now. Haven't driven it yet, next step is to code the cluster so i have an indicator. Curious if the exhaust flap will open with the switch since the LED trigger uses the same pin.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #782
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got the sport button flashed and working in my car now. Haven't driven it yet, next step is to code the cluster so i have an indicator. Curious if the exhaust flap will open with the switch since the LED trigger uses the same pin.
Only on the mss70. Looked through the code a little and saw that they threw in a new function for the light (it's actually PWM controlled and a different brightness at day and night).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #783
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

So, no bueno. No errors on the bench, and it learns the sport switch just fine - but it won't start. I get 2D54 (rpm watchdog or something, will have to look it up later), pulsing fuel pump. Had to completely write over the DME with a backup file, even backing up the main flash didn't work.

I had been wondering before and am wondering now if there's a conflict with the exhaust flap somehow. on the Z4, the pin for the flap is the LED output. So what enables the flap? That is the question.

It could be something else, but I can't think of it at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #784
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So, no bueno. No errors on the bench, and it learns the sport switch just fine - but it won't start. I get 2D54 (rpm watchdog or something, will have to look it up later), pulsing fuel pump. Had to completely write over the DME with a backup file, even backing up the main flash didn't work.

I had been wondering before and am wondering now if there's a conflict with the exhaust flap somehow. on the Z4, the pin for the flap is the LED output. So what enables the flap? That is the question.

It could be something else, but I can't think of it at the moment.
You sure you got those high and low checksums correct? I got that watchdog error when I had it wrong IIRC.

Only the Z4M uses that pin for the LED. Non-M sends a signal on the can bus, and EPS module sends the led signal.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #785
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

yeah I checked them again. I wasn't getting a checksum error either. I'll have another look. Seems strange. Maybe I should patch that checksum delete for those switches.

Good to know, so no conflict on the output pin then.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #786
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

I wonder if there's another checksum we're missing then. We did change a decent bit more than I had to for the E46.

I never actually got a checksum error on my E46 when it was wrong. I got the exact symptoms you have.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #787
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hmm. Not sure. I corrected the program space checksum (that definitely throws an error). Also pretty sure I get a checksum error when the one for the switches didn't match. I only changed 3 places in the code.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #788
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Not sure. I corrected the program space checksum (that definitely throws an error). Also pretty sure I get a checksum error when the one for the switches didn't match. I only changed 3 places in the code.
Based on your symptoms, I'm pretty confident it has something to do with those internal checksums. Whether there's one we're missing, I don't know. Might be easiest to just bypass that checksum

On another note, I did have a torque management error earlier today. Expected was 100Nm and the car was making 130Nm in that instance. I don't know if that's because of sport mode or if it's because I accidentally knocked my clutch sensor off and the car got confused.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 06-27-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #789
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just double checked that i have the checksum correct. And it doesn't appear that zeroing an error code really deletes it.

There must be another cause or perhaps another checksum. I wonder if theres a config that turns off this particular monitor.

I don't think deleting the checksum will work either because its definitely correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #790
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just double checked that i have the checksum correct. And it doesn't appear that zeroing an error code really deletes it.

There must be another cause or perhaps another checksum. I wonder if theres a config that turns off this particular monitor.

I don't think deleting the checksum will work either because its definitely correct.
I wonder if those monitoring subroutines have a checksum of sorts themselves. IIRC, when I tried editing the sport button monitoring subroutines directly on my car (so the parameter space was untouched), my car still threw that watchdog error.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #791
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Deleting the DTC error doesn't work for sure and I think I know why. This is really more for my own thoughts (I'll forget it if I don't write it down, lol).

I have some ideas of what is going on. There's a whole check process for the sport switch monitoring LV's. I labeled them Sport_Switch_MC_MON_1 and Sport_Switch_MC_MON_2. They trigger an error with the MC (master controller) which shuts down the injection/ignition. There's also a whole long MC process I've labeled Master_Controller_State and another one I've called Monitoring_Unit. I did see a reference to "reset state" somewhere, which I believe is what actually triggers 2D54 (once again, I don't trust German translations of technical language - 2D54 has nothing to do at all with engine RPM or speed as some translatiosn suggest).

So the reason deleting the error code doesn't work is because the MC error has already triggered and shut down the ignition/injection, the error code isn't triggered until after this is complete.

I can't really force it from shutting down the MC (because there are many other legitimate reasons for doing so), but I can probably make it pass Sport_Switch_MC_MON_1 and Sport_Switch_MC_MON_2 without triggering the mc_state errors.

I think the most likely reason I'm seeing this of course is because the E90 never got the sport switch as an option. On a Z4 it would probably be as simple as hooking it up and turning on the lv's. What is probably doing it is the vehicle type being E90, and somewhere it's checking that and causing it to shut down.

I'm going to pull some ram dumps later and see what mc_state, err_cod_mu_and err_cod_mc are. I think that will tell me what the problem is and how to fix it..

Last edited by hassmaschine; 06-28-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #792
stewey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6MT

Dumb question: what is the point of the sport button?
Appreciate 0