E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2be9 Mhd Stage 1+ But Not With Stage 1

04-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

2be9 Mhd Stage 1+ But Not With Stage 1

I have a question/concern
2011 e90 AT, catless dp, vrsf chargepipe, new coils, spark plugs.

I tuned it to stage 1, car ran well, I had no obviously problems or issues at all.

I tuned then to stage 1+ and the car ran well the first day, but today it shut off upon cold start, gave me code: 2be9 cylinder injection cutout: pressure too low.
I cleared the code, restarted the car, it warmed up fine and drove normal, until i attempted to overtake another car, then I got the half engine light again, car started jerking, pulled over, same code. 2be9. Cleared it, flashed back to stage 1, car now drives fine again even at wot.

What could the issue be? and why would it be caused only while the car is tuned with stage 1+?? the car had the HPFP replaced like 2.5 - 3 years ago. I tried to do a lil research but I couldn't find any definite answers.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMAS View Post
I have a question/concern
2011 e90 AT, catless dp, vrsf chargepipe, new coils, spark plugs.

I tuned it to stage 1, car ran well, I had no obviously problems or issues at all.

I tuned then to stage 1+ and the car ran well the first day, but today it shut off upon cold start, gave me code: 2be9 cylinder injection cutout: pressure too low.
I cleared the code, restarted the car, it warmed up fine and drove normal, until i attempted to overtake another car, then I got the half engine light again, car started jerking, pulled over, same code. 2be9. Cleared it, flashed back to stage 1, car now drives fine again even at wot.

What could the issue be? and why would it be caused only while the car is tuned with stage 1+?? the car had the HPFP replaced like 2.5 - 3 years ago. I tried to do a lil research but I couldn't find any definite answers.
I dont want to say this...but since this MHD update, 20(11) N(55) 335i's having been failing in the Misfire / fueling issue department. Somethings not quite right a bug or something..

But having you thrown any other codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
I dont want to say this...but since this MHD update, 20(11) N(55) 335i's having been failing in the Misfire / fueling issue department. Somethings not quite right a bug or something..

But having you thrown any other codes?
After reading quite a few post about issues after the new update, I feared the same. Now I am not sure how the updates work, my tablet generally is in the vehicle and in airplane mode, in order to update my maps i would have to update the actual MHD app itself?? If so, I don't think I've updated it since I first downloaded and flashed the car with stage 1, probably close to a month ago. How long has this possible problematic update been out for, do you know?

And no, I haven't throw any codes at all, been running stage 1 since I had the problem, I'm not really sure what to monitor, but I have been monitoring my fuel rail mean psi along with boost/target, afr, iat, etc.
My fuel rail mean PSI seems to be within what is considered normal at idle from what I read online, and its also steady and within spec while at WOT.

I read the other fueling thread that you posted, so I'm following tabs to see how it develops.

I'm gonna try stage 1+ again on the weekend after i do a fresh tank of gas from a different place and go from there I guess. Kind of in the dark now
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Quote:
After reading quite a few post about issues after the new update, I feared the same. Now I am not sure how the updates work, my tablet generally is in the vehicle and in airplane mode, in order to update my maps i would have to update the actual MHD app itself?? If so, I don't think I've updated it since I first downloaded and flashed the car with stage 1, probably close to a month ago. How long has this possible problematic update been out for, do you know?

And no, I haven't throw any codes at all, been running stage 1 since I had the problem, I'm not really sure what to monitor, but I have been monitoring my fuel rail mean psi along with boost/target, afr, iat, etc.
My fuel rail mean PSI seems to be within what is considered normal at idle from what I read online, and its also steady and within spec while at WOT.

I read the other fueling thread that you posted, so I'm following tabs to see how it develops.

I'm gonna try stage 1+ again on the weekend after i do a fresh tank of gas from a different place and go from there I guess. Kind of in the dark now
I want to say its been about 1-2 months since the new update i believe. And same here ive been monitoring my Rail Pressure and things have been normal... Thats very weird!! I would definitely monitor your Cyl timing on all six cylinders
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
I want to say its been about 1-2 months since the new update i believe. And same here ive been monitoring my Rail Pressure and things have been normal... Thats very weird!! I would definitely monitor your Cyl timing on all six cylinders
I had some timing corrections but all -3.0~ or so I believe, then again, I don't really push this car, so this whole time it's been tuned, I've done a handful of pulls, so I cant say if its a constant thing or just during that pull i logged. I read some of it may have to do with the gas type, i always get gas at the same place and prob not a high tier gas station. and continue to monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:
I had some timing corrections but all -3.0~ or so I believe, then again, I don't really push this car, so this whole time it's been tuned, I've done a handful of pulls, so I cant say if its a constant thing or just during that pull i logged. I read some of it may have to do with the gas type, i always get gas at the same place and prob not a high tier gas station. and continue to monitor.
It's probably not related to the issues you're having but with your mods you should be running stage 2, not 1+. How many miles have you driven in the past 2.5-3 years? I know when my fuel pump was going the car would drive normally on the stock tune but not stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
It's probably not related to the issues you're having but with your mods you should be running stage 2, not 1+. How many miles have you driven in the past 2.5-3 years? I know when my fuel pump was going the car would drive normally on the stock tune but not stage 1.
I haven't upgraded my FMIC, so i am reluctant to do stage 2. What other symptoms did you experience and any codes? Stage 1 runs fine imo, it's the 1+ that gave me the issue.

But it's been like 20k miles since the pump was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:
I haven't upgraded my FMIC, so i am reluctant to do stage 2. What other symptoms did you experience and any codes? Stage 1 runs fine imo, it's the 1+ that gave me the issue.

But it's been like 20k miles since the pump was replaced.
Okay probably not your pump... a log would help diagnose.

Stage 1+ is for upgraded FMIC, 2 is for catless dp, 2+ is for FMIC and dp.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Okay probably not your pump... a log would help diagnose.

Stage 1+ is for upgraded FMIC, 2 is for catless dp, 2+ is for FMIC and dp.
I'll try to get a log after I reflash it again this weekend, I know that 1+ calls for the fmic. My daily routine calls for me to drive in early mornings/nights and due to my conservative driving styles I figured I could monitor AIT when / if I do any pulls, but I also wanted to see the difference in power between 1 and 1+. I don't think the lack of fmic is the reason for the way it ran and the code it gave though. Something else has to be going on.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #10
XDesiren
Registered
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

Has this problem been solved?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Anyone Know if this problem would also happen with a bef?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
Pelong69
GreyS13
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335IX

Isn't stage 1+ for vehicles with a downpipe? I have the same mods minus the downpipeand I intake. Went down to stage 1 since the temperature went up and I don't have an upgraded intercooler. The car has been ran hard the last few days and no issues at all. Try running stage 1 only and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry if I never came back to update everyone.

1+ is for vehicles with a FMIC upgrade. I did my mods backwards and got DP, CP first instead of the FMIC.

Anyhow, after I had the issue that same day I had flashed back to stage 1 where the car was previously and I had no problems. I decided to start getting fuel a better place and started monitoring my fuel pressure to make sure I didn't have an issue there. It all seemed pretty consistent so I went up to 1+ again. I haven't had any issues since, idk maybe it was the gas. I monitor my AIT every drive and I only really see it getting higher in bumper to bumper traffic in the evenings, but other than that, I drive at pretty early/late times so it stays cool enough.

and Idk if it his would happen with a BEF.
Appreciate 0