Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Your Advice is greatly appreciated

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
gaith
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi

Talking Your Advice is greatly appreciated

Dudes and Dudettes

Its time to change tires and I don't know what I should do.
Some people say I should get regular tires, because the ride will much nicer I currently have Run Flats on my 335Xi coupe from Continental. I am afraid that If i get non run flat i wont enjoy the handling of the car. Here are what I am looking at in terms of tires. Please let me know what you think. If you had problems with them or if they are loud. Also I went to Costco and they told me that my car need at least a 91 H is that true?

1- https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=Base%20Model

2- https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=Base%20Model

3-https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ A%2FS+3%2B+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=245VR7PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSear ch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=200 9&autoModel=335i%20xDrive%20Coupe&autoModClar=Base %20Model

Your help is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

run flats suck, you will immediately notice an improvement in ride quality without them
      10-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Ditch the run flats! I’m so thankful the original owner replaced them with Michelin Super Sports, they make driving the E92 a pleasure.
      10-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

most people ditch the run flats. they feel like wood.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
gaith
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi

What do you think about the MICHELINPILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)? Reviews are good
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings...ireDetail=true
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaith View Post
What do you think about the MICHELINPILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)? Reviews are good
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings...ireDetail=true
I'll weigh in here. So just to qualify, I've owned BMW 3-series since 1988. My first 3-series was an E30 325i. I currently have 3 three (3) BMWs: 1997 Z3 (basically a E30 suspension), a E90 325i, and a '08 Z4 Coupe. My total combined miles on these cars is north of 850,000 miles. I live out in a mountainous, rural area and drive my cars as BMW intended (well, old school BMW, not the SUV-maker it is now)

The E90 I bought new and it now has 357,000 on it; I change the tires about every 18 months or so. It's had 13 sets of tires since new (including the OE Bridgestone REA50 RFTs), so I've tried just about every popular high-performance all-season tire; Yokohama, Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli, and Dunlop. My car has a sport suspension (sport package) and is RWD, so I can't speak to a non-sport package tire regarding the ride quality of RFT vs. non-RFT, but with sport package tires (35MM and 40MM sidewalls) I do not think there is much ride quality difference between RFT and non-RFT. I think people get in their head there is, but unless you ride in two cars with the same suspension, on the same roads, with the same model tire (in RFT and non RFT) back to back, I doubt anyone could really tell. If there is any difference in harshness, it's minimal and hard to perceive. I bought the Z4 used. The other 3 cars I bought new. The Z4 had fresh tires on it (Pirelli PZero) and were RFT's. When they were spent I replaced them with Mitch Pilot Sports A/S3's non-RFTs. I barely noticed a difference in ride quality. Grip was less obviously, going from a summer performance tire to a high-performance All-season, but for street use, there's not much I was giving up. What few MPH I gave up between Summers vs. All-seasons is still far above the threshold of serious injury or death when trying to survive a crash - just saying.

The Pilot Sport A/S3+ are nice tires. I have them on the Z4 now (second set). On the E90 I run Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S. You'll not go wrong with either. If you want the flat protection of RFTs, I doubt you'll miss any great change in ride quality if you stick with them. BMWs have never been known for ride quality anyway.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1