E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Not your typical 4x4! DTC issue, or is it?

10-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
89Rustang
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Exclamation Not your typical 4x4! DTC issue, or is it?

Hi All,

2011 e90 335 xDrive 56k miles

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been battling this issue for quite some time. To start, I had the trifecta on and off since winter and especially after I hit a pothole very hard in the spring. It did eventually go away but would come back every so often. I had 4 new tires and an alignment done while it was on and off as well. I finally read the code and it read low voltage so i thought, it's the battery! I replaced the battery, and YES, the lights went away for a few months. But now I have them back, but this time, ONLY the 4x4! and DTC lights remain, the ABS light went away. The battery was reading 11.7 volts so I thought I got a bad battery or fried it by not registering it. Replaced battery again, registered it, but lights remain and still shows low voltage after a couple hours.

I always use alarm because I have read about the sleep mode etc.

So now I am thinking it really is a bad module or actuator this time, but why the low voltage? Can they drain when in sleep mode? Maybe it's the dampness? Was a very dry summer and now we get rain it comes back.

Here are the codes from iCarly:

ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault: :Clutch is in the open position - rear wheel drive - Transfer Ec / distributor
gear fault / Transmission ECU Failure / Transfer case
Code: 5F3A

Transmission Control:
Transmission / Getriebe GS 19
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Transmission / Getriebesteuerung
Fault: Supply voltage
Code: 53FC

While running I show 14.7 volts, 12.4 immediately after engine off.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by 89Rustang; 10-28-2015 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Rustang View Post
Hi All,

2011 e90 335 xDrive 56k miles

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been battling this issue for quite some time. To start, I had the trifecta on and off since winter and especially after I hit a pothole very hard in the spring. It did eventually go away but would come back every so often. I had 4 new tires and an alignment done while it was on and off as well. I finally read the code and it read low voltage so i thought, it's the battery! I replaced the battery, and YES, the lights went away for a few months. But now I have them back, but this time, ONLY the 4x4! and DTC lights remain, the ABS light went away. The battery was reading 11.7 volts so I thought I got a bad battery or fried it by not registering it. Replaced battery again, registered it, but lights remain and still shows low voltage after a couple hours.

I always use alarm because I have read about the sleep mode etc.

So now I am thinking it really is a bad module or actuator this time, but why the low voltage? Can they drain when in sleep mode? Maybe it's the dampness? Was a very dry summer and now we get rain it comes back.

Here are the codes from iCarly:

ABS / DSC / Brake:
Fault: :Clutch is in the open position - rear wheel drive - Transfer Ec / distributor
gear fault / Transmission ECU Failure / Transfer case

Transmission Control:
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Fault: Supply voltage
Code: 53FC

While running I show 14.7 volts, 12.4 immediately after engine off.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you're getting battery drain, you'll get a code for that alone. I shorted my battery on the starter once and it threw the code.

I also had the servo actuator worm gear fail, which also throws codes.

As silly as it sounds, try turning your steering wheel lock to lock. Sometimes the steering wheel angle sensor needs to be calibrated. A failing sensor could also cause these symptoms.
      11-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
89Rustang
Rep

Thanks for your reply. When I unhooked the battery I needed to turn lock to lock but this code is different. I removed the servo over the weekend and the gears looked brand new; I'm stumped. I think some module is draining the battery. Hoping the weather is OK this weekend so I can try to track it down.
      12-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi

I liked your thread title so I'm going to just post my issue here...
I bought a 335xi in Feb. this year. A few weeks into ownership I notice a sort of surge bucking sometimes under heavy throttle. I didnt pay much attention to it. it slowly started happening more frequently and occasionally i would get the triad of 4x4, dsc...
then in a matter of one week it went from once a day to every time i would drive the car.

So here are the current symptoms:
As soon as I pull forward, the triad of lights come on.
no weird surging anymore and never heard any strange noises.
awd is disabled(obviously)

i have scanned for codes with autoenginuity and get
transmission 6hp tu - no response from module

DSC Premium - 5F3A Transfer Case - status: static fault, currently present, not currently present.

That is it for codes.

Background:
i checked the actuator worm gear and it was in good shape so i suspected an electrical failure within the actuator. I now replaced the actuator and problem is the same. I do have the alpina b3 flash. I have cleared codes and reset adaptations numerous times. I dont think the flash is responsible but im working on flashing back to stock to wipe the slate clean.

Any help, suggestions, leads are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
89Rustang
Rep

I just got mine fixed yesterday. It was the actuator. It was drawing so much power at start up the voltage was dipping to 5v until the actuator tapped out.
      12-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
89Rustang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msane3 View Post
I liked your thread title so I'm going to just post my issue here...
I bought a 335xi in Feb. this year. A few weeks into ownership I notice a sort of surge bucking sometimes under heavy throttle. I didnt pay much attention to it. it slowly started happening more frequently and occasionally i would get the triad of 4x4, dsc...
then in a matter of one week it went from once a day to every time i would drive the car.

So here are the current symptoms:
As soon as I pull forward, the triad of lights come on.
no weird surging anymore and never heard any strange noises.
awd is disabled(obviously)

i have scanned for codes with autoenginuity and get
transmission 6hp tu - no response from module

DSC Premium - 5F3A Transfer Case - status: static fault, currently present, not currently present.

That is it for codes.

Background:
i checked the actuator worm gear and it was in good shape so i suspected an electrical failure within the actuator. I now replaced the actuator and problem is the same. I do have the alpina b3 flash. I have cleared codes and reset adaptations numerous times. I dont think the flash is responsible but im working on flashing back to stock to wipe the slate clean.

Any help, suggestions, leads are appreciated.

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor or ABS issue. I ended up taking mine to a shop due to time constraints.
      01-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a wheel speed sensor or ABS issue. I ended up taking mine to a shop due to time constraints.
Hmm... that would be nice if it was that. would be cheaper and easier. Ive been doing research to see if that is the case.

so i checked codes with the carly bmw app and this is the report for it. It has way more codes than what autoenginuity was giving me:

Fault Report - Carly for BMW - Version: 19.00 FV

ID1: 9b366451-d5e6-448a-a76f-e63f1047fe81-87b
ID2: 64ec4c9e-974e-46ac-90fb-5b2a9fc7f4c6-da4-4658
INFO: USB-MODE
Base: E90
Build-Year: 2008
Faults: 16
ECUs: 21
Filter: just found
Model: 335 i alle/all (MotorID=86, Parameter=89)
Battery: no battery info
Normal communication
Normal connection
normal
C 2
Date: 2015-12-25 10:51:15
USB Device
Version: 18
Device: >samsung< >hltetmo< >SM-N900T<
Motor Control:
Engine / Motor
Catalytic conversion
Code: 29F4

Cat conversion 2
Code: 29F5

Accelerator pedal and brake pedal module
Code: 2F8F

ABS / DSC / Brake:
:Transfer case / Clutch is in the open position - rear wheel drive - Transfer Ec / distributor gear fault / Transmission ECU Failure

Airbag:
Airbag
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Transmission Control:
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 51B0

sorry, unknown fault
Code: 511B

Fracture Mechanics
Code: 5463

K-Can Bus off
Code: CF4B

sorry, unknown fault
Code: CF61

Instrument cluster:
Instrument cluster / Kombiinstrument
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Central info display / Zentrales Display
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Light/Rain Control:
Heating / AC:
Air conditioning / Klimaanlage
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Immobilizer System:
CAS
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Park distance control:
Cruise Control:
Sunroof / Roof:
Roof / Dach
unknown failure
Code: A670

Audio/Navi/Communication:
Phone / Telefon
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Tuner Antenna / Antenne
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Audio-System
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Seats:
Seats / Sitze
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Systems:
Junction Box Passenger / Beifahrer
PT-CAN communication
Code: C90B

Fuel pump / Kraftstoffpumpe
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Tire pressure control / Reifendruck Kontrolle
unknown fault
Code: 604E

Mistake wheel electronics FL
Code: 6054

FR mistake wheel electronics
Code: 6055

Mistake wheel electronics RL
Code: 6056

Mistake wheel electronics RR
Code: 6057

Car Communication Computer CCC
ECU OK, no Fault Code
MASK
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Car Communication
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Anti-theft alarm system:
Chassis:
Body:
Fussraummodul /FRM
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Other:
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
89Rustang
Rep

My codes came back last week so now I'm wondering if it was even the motor. The Indy said it may be the junction box or fusebox as he had to reach his hand up behind the glove box and press in the connections on the back. He said they may have been loose, but he didn't feel they were, so it could also be cracked or something. It had a DME power code this time as well.

Yours looks a lot like power issues so maybe its similar.
      01-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My codes came back last week so now I'm wondering if it was even the motor. The Indy said it may be the junction box or fusebox as he had to reach his hand up behind the glove box and press in the connections on the back. He said they may have been loose, but he didn't feel they were, so it could also be cracked or something. It had a DME power code this time as well.

Yours looks a lot like power issues so maybe its similar.
Well I'm going to start with replacing the battery. It seems to be the original and it "appears" to be ok. I haven't tested it but it's old so it's not idea to change anyways. Having a fully loaded 335xi sure does put a strain on the charging system.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm going to start with replacing the battery. It seems to be the original and it "appears" to be ok. I haven't tested it but it's old so it's not idea to change anyways. Having a fully loaded 335xi sure does put a strain on the charging system.
Battery was bad but still didn't fix my issue. I think I'm going to try to test the transfer case control unit...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

i swapped the transfer case control unit with the one in my mother's e90 xi. didn't seem to make a difference. new transfer case here i come....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
mikes4
Private
Rep
Drives: none

I've got an actuator for sale if you end up needing one and not a whole new t case.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #13
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes4 View Post
I've got an actuator for sale if you end up needing one and not a whole new t case.
thanks for the offer but i had already tried a brand new actuator.

i replaced the transfer case but now i only get the 4x4 malfunction but immediately at start up, where as before, i would get the trifecta only after i would start driving.

But everything seems to be working now, even 4x4, dsc, adaptive lights, cruise control, i just cant turn off dsc.

so im at a loss here. i either got a bad 2nd transfer case or i have deeper issues
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
mikes4
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Have you tried resetting adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes4 View Post
Have you tried resetting adaptations?
Yessir.

I have a 3rd actuator that came with the transfer case. I'm going to try that one out just in case the new one is a dud. Doubtful but you never know
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:02 AM   #16
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Quote:
thanks for the offer but i had already tried a brand new actuator.

i replaced the transfer case but now i only get the 4x4 malfunction but immediately at start up, where as before, i would get the trifecta only after i would start driving.

But everything seems to be working now, even 4x4, dsc, adaptive lights, cruise control, i just cant turn off dsc.

so im at a loss here. i either got a bad 2nd transfer case or i have deeper issues
My bet is on DSC Abs Hydro unit faulty,if you got inpa or rheingold try to diagnose dsc module.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #17
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
My bet is on DSC Abs Hydro unit faulty,if you got inpa or rheingold try to diagnose dsc module.
My inpa stopped working so I need to find a new download or if somebody is willing to share theirs??

But I still think it has something to do with the transfer case/actuator.

There was a cause/effect when i replaced the transfer case.

before: trifecta of errors ONLY when i started driving the car.

After: i only get the "4x4! malfunction" now but immediately at start up.

I am also still getting the 5f3a - transfer case code, but only that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #18
msane3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Huge update:
I got the latest rheingold software and ran test procedures. Apparently you need to reset the resistor values and run adaptations.

I did those procedures and now no more fault codes.

This software is something else
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #19
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
I just got mine fixed yesterday. It was the actuator. It was drawing so much power at start up the voltage was dipping to 5v until the actuator tapped out.
How did you test for this? I've removed my actuator, gear was perfect, even bench tested the motor to make sure it spun...I'm curious how you read the voltage drop/failure though.

https://youtu.be/dH8uUnaEmCU

I've got many more videos, feel free to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
Haggerty
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi, 2011 335d

Were you able to figure yours out?

Am I able to reset adaptations in ISTA? I've replaced so many things but my trifecta won't go away. Its been on 100% of the time ever since I did a brake job on the rear. Rear right wheel speed undetected. I've replaced the bearing, ABS sensor twice, axle, brake pad sensor, and transfer case actuator motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #21
Twinkie93
Twinkie_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328 xi e92

I've been dealing with this for about 3 months now and I'm out of options and test to try from the different forums I've read here are my codes what do you guys think? I'm willing to try anything now at this point. My next thing is going to be replacing the tranny fluid and gasket cover in just waiting for amazing to send my kit.

Fault Code: 002DED
Fault Explanation: Power management, closed-circuit protection

Fault Code: 005F3A
Fault Explanation: istribution transmission ECU: clutch is in the open position - rear-wheel drive! / Distribution transmission ECU: VG- Fault - clutch is in the open position - rear-wheel drive! / Distributor transmission ECU: VG Error - clutch is in the open position - rear drive
VG clutch defective - clutch is in the open position - rear-wheel drive! / Distribution transmission ECU: VG - clutch is in the open position - rear-wheel drive!
Fault Code: 005EBA
Fault Explanation: :Steering angle sensor: - Status Error / Steering angle sensor: steering angle signal only relativ.Rad-center position unbekannt.Lernquadrant active (to stop directing) .OR LW signal invalid, OR LW-state error / Steering angle sensor: steering angle signal only relativ.Rad-center position unbekannt.Lernquadrant active (to stop directing) .OR LW signal invalid, OR LW-state error --- (DSC: steering angle sensor plausibility) / Steering angle sensor: Status error. / Steering angle sensor: Status error. Steering angle signal invalid or steering angle signal only relative. Center position unknown. Learning Quadrant active. directing the stop.

Fault Code: 005461
Fault Explanation: :Error Servomotor Control

As always thanks again for ANY input guys (:
Appreciate 0