E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > PCV Or VVT?

08-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i 6MT

PCV Or VVT?

Hey guys. 2011 FBO BMW 335i N55. Was ripping on it a little and as soon as I got off the throttle I hear this loud squeaking noise coming from the engine bay I’d say in intervals of like just a few seconds of the car revving itself and squealing loud. Car went into limp mode too. Pulled over and the car would rev itself up while doing that loud squealing/squeaky noise. After like 2 minutes of idle it stopped making the noise. Turned off the car and back on, drove it normal back home since I was worried about getting on the throttle again lol. I posted on a few facebook groups and a few people saying it's the servo motor. I had replaced my vvt motor, relay and harness 5k miles ago. One person also mentioned it could be the PVC Cover on the VC because of the squealing noise. Could be possible it was that too, but after driving my car after turning it off and back on I haven't had the noise. If the PVC was bad would it be throwing any codes or anything? Because the codes I got were valvetronic related. Really weird with what was going on... Pulled the codes and these are it. I cleared them and they still popped back up. Any ideas?

IG: @Verifyez
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

VVT ? lol VVT usually stands for variable valve timing (VANOS) which, valvetronic is not. Lets avoid making up acronyms because its confusing for everyone.

I had these codes. I only get them with newer MHD maps that have had valvetronic adjustments done which twisted tuning never explained in any type of detail.

So i dont run these maps anymore because i personally believe there is an issue with them. Eventually you get these codes enough and your car one day will not start because the motor is out of limits. That happened to me.

I now run older rev maps that dont have any valvetronic adjustments messed with. And i never ever seen these codes again.

I was told i might have to change my motor. But i havent changed a thing but the map and everything has returned to normal for thousands of miles.

So just FYI. Not saying thats what is happening with your car could be different.

Also no this has nothing to do with PCV.. PCV noise is idle only.

PVC is a pipe plastic for plumbing LOL
Appreciate 3
DiFFv189.50
JUMAS39.00
      08-13-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

+1
      08-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
VVT ? lol VVT usually stands for variable valve timing (VANOS) which, valvetronic is not. Lets avoid making up acronyms because its confusing for everyone.

I had these codes. I only get them with newer MHD maps that have had valvetronic adjustments done which twisted tuning never explained in any type of detail.

So i dont run these maps anymore because i personally believe there is an issue with them. Eventually you get these codes enough and your car one day will not start because the motor is out of limits. That happened to me.

I now run older rev maps that dont have any valvetronic adjustments messed with. And i never ever seen these codes again.

I was told i might have to change my motor. But i havent changed a thing but the map and everything has returned to normal for thousands of miles.

So just FYI. Not saying thats what is happening with your car could be different.

GREAT INFO!
How do i go about getting an older version of an mhd map? I run the up to date ones and would like to avoid any issues.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMAS View Post
GREAT INFO!
How do i go about getting an older version of an mhd map? I run the up to date ones and would like to avoid any issues.
https://apkpure.com/mhd-n55-e-series...r.n55/versions
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:

Haha I cleared the codes, did the whole "relearning process" for the vvt motor again and haven't had the codes pop back up! Also during this time my PCV Crankcase vent was making a noise so I did the DIY cap from amazon for like $20 and haven't had the noise again since. Figured to try that bc I literally did the VCG like 5k miles ago, but if I get that squealing noise again I know what to look for. Thanks for the tips tho dude!!

IG: @Verifyez
Appreciate 1
Pladi717.00
      01-18-2022, 03:51 AM   #7
Dianna D. Sweet
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic X Sedan 2.0 (158 H

Quote:
Learn and apply all the latest language code with us here codeprozone
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #8
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:

In the context of BMW, VVT = Valvetronic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0