E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > E90 HPDE prep?

12-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #23
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Yeah, nothing beats the days of playing the original grand turismo many many moons ago. Those were the days.

Okay quick run down so I can make a list and start punching items out to safely get me out on the track and have a fun day:
  • Brake pads?? Been hearing a lot of good from the Performance Friction Z rated.
  • My front tires are almost on the wear bar, might as well throw some r-s3's on there. The rear I'll keep evo2's for now, they're like new.
  • Replace upper control arm bushings that are clicking (new m3 bushings).
  • E90 M3 alignment okay?

What am I missing?
- Do not run RS3 in the front an Evo2s in the back, the car will want to swap ends on you. The grip differential is enormous.

- If you're just getting started, a "street/track" hybrid pad (lol) will be okay, but once you start to pick up pace, you'll want a bit more pad. I've recommended EBC Yellowstuff to my friends who were beginning HPDE and they're all loved them. Civil on the street, and pretty capable on track for beginner to intermediate drivers.

- Everything else seems fine.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #24
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a Snell M2005 helmet which meets the requirements, hence why i haven't mentioned it. I'm in my 30's now but grew up racing WKA gokarts professionally all over the south east. Have at least 100 laps around daytona international speedway doing 150mph when I was a teenager lol

Last edited by Riick; 12-15-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #25
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
- Do not run RS3 in the front an Evo2s in the back, the car will want to swap ends on you. The grip differential is enormous.

- If you're just getting started, a "street/track" hybrid pad (lol) will be okay, but once you start to pick up pace, you'll want a bit more pad. I've recommended EBC Yellowstuff to my friends who were beginning HPDE and they're all loved them. Civil on the street, and pretty capable on track for beginner to intermediate drivers.

I had EBC green stuff in the past on another car, no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #26
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
As much as Hack needs to get off his high chair sometimes, his post got some points. Just drive the damn thing for now. Once you get enough experience, you will know what mods to get anyway
High horse. High chair is where little babies sit to eat, because they're too short to reach the table. At least get your metaphors right. SMH.

But you know I am right far more often than I am wrong. See below.

Quote:
What am I missing?
Helmet.

I'm sorry, if you still can't see the most BASIC needs before you go on track, I can't help you. No helmet, no HPDE, period.

You're obsessed about the wrong things.
Congrats on picking out autocorrect typos I made from my phone.

Anyway, I don't know what you have against newbies and always assume the worst of everyone. And seriously Hack,I would reexamine your knowledge base from time to time if you don't even know type of rear suspension that is on your own track car.

OP, your Snell M2005 is too old and has the wrong certificate,all clubs and events these days require SA2010 or newer. But you should be able to rent a helmet at some of the events, although I wouldn't recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #27
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP, your Snell M2005 is too old and has the wrong certificate,all clubs and events these days require SA2010 or newer. But you should be able to rent a helmet at some of the events, although I wouldn't recommend it.
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=1551
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #28
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick
Quote:
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=1551
I found it really surprising that Chin, which organize some of the best events out there, would allow motorcycle helmets. All the clubs I have driven with don't.

I would email them and double check on that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #29
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In our non-competition format, we will allow an exemption for 2005 dated helmets to be used through 2016.
I'll eventually upgrade to an SA2010 or 2015 open face so I can look like an old nascar driver since I don't race karts anymore, but what I have will get me on the track for the time being.

Last edited by Riick; 12-15-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #30
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Quote:

-I second not running RS3 front Evo2 rear x97986723489

-I disagree a little with the EBC Yellowstuff choice... My suggestion is to go with the Stoptech street performance pad since its the cheapest street/track pad I know of. Both will be plenty as you're (OP) learning, neither will be enough once you're up to pace... so might as well go with the cheapest option. and you can put the money you save towards more track days
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #31
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post

-I disagree a little with the EBC Yellowstuff choice... My suggestion is to go with the Stoptech street performance pad since its the cheapest street/track pad I know of. Both will be plenty as you're (OP) learning, neither will be enough once you're up to pace... so might as well go with the cheapest option. and you can put the money you save towards more track days
You are 1000% correct. I ordered a set of stoptech SP pads.

Edit, looks like the Jan. 30th event might be full for novice, so I have time to prep

Last edited by Riick; 12-15-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #32
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
And seriously Hack,I would reexamine your knowledge base from time to time if you don't even know type of rear suspension that is on your own track car.
Never said I was knowledgeable. Where did you get THAT idea?

In fact, I probably stated multiple times that I don't know jack from squat.

However, I DO know exactly what is on the back end of my track car. Again, where did you assume that I don't know what sort of suspension is on the back of my MZ4 Coupe?

Don't be butt-hurt that a cluebie like myself can spot your autocorrect. Oh, and don't blame it on autocorrect...That's just an excuse for not knowing your metaphor, IMO.

OP, I'm going to save myself from typing this all out again, and just copy and paste. So ignore the references to 3.0Si and M4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
I'm going to offer my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth (2 cents).

I am in the mood for story telling. Long, LONG time ago, I have a bunch of friends that take their BMWs to various local tracks. I've always been fascinated, and every time they broach the topic, I've always told them "next time you guys go, you let me know." But then, next time they asked, I've always had some stupid excuse. "Oh the car needs brakes." "I'm working on a new suspension this weekend." "UCLA is playing [insert bottom feeder team] on Saturday." "Oh is it my anniversary AGAIN? No way."

This went on for about 1.5 years. Until one weekend, out of nowhere, they invited me to go to Vegas. What? Free transportation and room for Vegas? Are you freakin' kidding me? That's my FAVORITE kind of Vegas trip. So after some boozing, some "light" gambling (I did manage to win $500), the next morning they said "hey we're heading over to Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Wanna come?"

This being back in the day when my tolerance for alcohol is as strong as my taste for spicy food (and before you ask, I like spicy food), I gladly said yes despite the light hang-over. While gawking over some of the nice hardware parked at the track, an instructor approached me and asked if I wanted to get a ride. Unbeknownst to me, my buddies were in the back laughing their @sses off, I borrowed one of their helmets and walked up to the pit expecting a new M3 or an M5 to pull up.

Nope. It was an '84 E30. With an Eta engine. Being taught to be polite, I quietly hopped into the car, and as I closed the door, the door handle fell off in my hand. I awkwardly handed the handle to the instructor with a sheepish grin, and he just tosses it out the window. So as we're getting gridded up, it started to rain despite the sun being out. And rain it did...For the first time in ages. In Vegas.

So imagine my chagrin when the instructor still chose to go out on track. In the rain. DRIVING HIS FREAKIN BALLS OFF. First two turns I was holding on for dear life, for those of you that don't know the outer road course at Las Vegas, it is a tight, technical, and very challenging course. By turn 3 my eyes were as big as saucers. By turn 5 he was sliding and counter steering like crazy.

By lap 2 I was freakin' hooked. This is about as much fun as I ever had with my clothes on. The entire time the instructor, while driving his car to the limit, was yammering in my ear, talking like he's just going on a Sunday drive to church. In about 5 laps he pulled in, I got out of the car, and my entire system was flooded with adrenaline and my hands were shaking, not from fear, but from sheer excitement. I did not know that you can actually drive like that. I did not know that a 15 year old chassis with 300,000 miles on the chassis can move like that. I did not know that an E30 can run circles around an E46 M3 like that.

I was hooked. As I shake the hand of the instructor that just gave me the ride, He looked me straight in the eye, smiled, and said "the first hit is free." At first I didn't quite get what he was referencing, but now I know.

They're like drug dealers. They give you your first taste of speed for free. Now you're hooked, and you can't get the need for speed out of your system.

So I went from that first free hit long, LONG time ago, to spending almost $10,000 a year tracking my E46 323Ci, then upgrading to a 350Z, ultimately to my MZ4 Coupe (with a slew of other daily drive thrown in there). Now it's the MZ4 Coupe with GC coils and 275 slicks all around riding on fixed calipers and track pads, constantly searching for that perfect lap and the flood of both adrenaline and ephedrine that comes with knowing you had driven the mother f**k out of the car and hit just about every mark perfectly.

So what's the moral of this story? Just like all my stories, there is none. However, I'd like to point out, that if I had never taken that step and went with those guys to LVMS, I would probably still be telling them "oh UCLA is playing Oregon State this weekend. I can't go."

That and riding with and watching some dude chase down E46 M3s and E39 M5s in a bone stock E30 325e (in the rain) says to me...It doesn't matter if you're driving the 3.0Si or the new M4. You can have fun just the same, and frankly, it's a lot more rewarding to drive a car like the 3.0Si fast, than it is to drive the new M4 fast, on a track.

*To be honest...It's not hard to drive the new M4 fast on the track. You can slap any average joe in that car and it'll make him look like the next Michael Schumaker. And I'm not saying the comatose Michael, the 9 time World Champion Michael.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #33
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I have a Snell M2005 helmet which meets the requirements, hence why i haven't mentioned it. I'm in my 30's now but grew up racing WKA gokarts professionally all over the south east. Have at least 100 laps around daytona international speedway doing 150mph when I was a teenager lol

SA 2005 expires soon. You still need a new helmet.

I dunno why you feel the need to fabricate a "back story," but whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #34
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Never said I was knowledgeable. Where did you get THAT idea?

In fact, I probably stated multiple times that I don't know jack from squat.

However, I DO know exactly what is on the back end of my track car. Again, where did you assume that I don't know what sort of suspension is on the back of my MZ4 Coupe?

Don't be butt-hurt that a cluebie like myself can spot your autocorrect. Oh, and don't blame it on autocorrect...That's just an excuse for not knowing your metaphor, IMO.

OP, I'm going to save myself from typing this all out again, and just copy and paste. So ignore the references to 3.0Si and M4s.
Just because you have years of "experience", doesn't mean you should take a shit every newbie's thread when they are obviously excited about this new found hobby and asking some legit question. You used to post some well appreciated info, but recently you just come off as condescending jerk. Mid-life crisis perhaps?

Anyway, reexamine your own knowledge base instead of offering useless opinion on the Internet. The fact that you think BMW has not changed its rear suspension design for years and e46 has multi link is absolutely comical coming from an "experienced" individual on these platforms. Here is a quote from a post you made just a few threads down...

As for OP, just drive the thing. Aware of your own ability and the car's, don't cheap out on safety, just get some seat time. Then you will have a much better idea what you really want for yourself. Take a look at m3post track section as well, there are more good info there without the drama here, for most parts

Quote:
Unfortunately from what I've seen, you HAVE to always assume the lowest common denominator when it comes to the intarweb.

And if the OP is truly familiar with the E46 chassis...He should know BMW has not had significant changes in their suspension design in almost 20 years. The fronts are still MacStrut and the rears are still multi-link, the only major change being the addition of another link on the back end of the E9X as far as suspension geometry is concerned.

But...I get it. You guys all know way more than you let on. I'll keep quiet and crawl back to my E85/E86 safe haven now.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #35
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I completely disagree with StopTech Street Perf pads. They are a downgrade from OEM. I bought a fresh set, did 500 street miles worth of break-in, took them to the track and SNAPPED THEM IN HALF. I was livid.

Never, ever, ever cheap out on vital safety items like tires and brake pads.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #36
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I completely disagree with StopTech Street Perf pads. They are a downgrade from OEM. I bought a fresh set, did 500 street miles worth of break-in, took them to the track and SNAPPED THEM IN HALF. I was livid.

really? the actual backing plate? or the pad friction material?

in that case I take it back, but this is the first time I hear of a negative review of this pad... lots of people had good experience with this as a light track pad...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #37
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

Quote:
really? the actual backing plate? or the pad friction material?

in that case I take it back, but this is the first time I hear of a negative review of this pad... lots of people had good experience with this as a light track pad...
Friction material snapped off into two big chunks. Ruined the rotor as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #38
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Friction material snapped off into two big chunks. Ruined the rotor as well.
oh ok, not quite as bad as I was picturing but still a horrible failure...

thanks for the heads up, I won't be recommending these anymore...

Sorry Riick
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #39
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SA 2005 expires soon. You still need a new helmet.

I dunno why you feel the need to fabricate a "back story," but whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.

Fabricate?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #40
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:

Yeah, Stoptech Street Perf pads are _not_ track pads in any sense. You're definitely better off on OEM.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 12:23 AM   #41
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Yeah, Stoptech Street Perf pads are _not_ track pads in any sense. You're definitely better off on OEM.
I was suggesting them as a first couple events kinda pad, not full on track pad... But now since ginger_extract had his break in half on him I'm not really sure about even that application... Then again, he's the first person I heard that had this kinda problem with them. I mean I had EBC yellows crumble on me too once they were low, I can post a pic if you guys wanna see
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #42
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
I was suggesting them as a first couple events kinda pad, not full on track pad... But now since ginger_extract had his break in half on him I'm not really sure about even that application... Then again, he's the first person I heard that had this kinda problem with them. I mean I had EBC yellows crumble on me too once they were low, I can post a pic if you guys wanna see
No worries, understood. My experience is that they're just not up to a track day compared to OEM as they wear very quickly and heat up past their usable range if abused. OK for the street I guess but I threw mine away and went to XP10 year round on Zimmerman rotors. With solid rear guide pins, Torque RT700 fluid, and R1R tires it stops nearly as well as a BBK according to instructors and from my experience riding in their cars, fwiw.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #43
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ebc yellow falls apart when it is overheated from my experience when started tracking this car. Not a good failure mode. At least the stock pads stays in one piece and just get wear down very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #44
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Congrats on picking out autocorrect typos I made from my phone. Anyway, I don't know what you have against newbies and always assume the worst of everyone. And seriously Hack,I would reexamine your knowledge base from time to time
I make a lot of typos myself. Not to justify myself but English is not even my second language, is probably my third or fourth. It depends on the other person and whether they want to understand you or not.
No one is immune to mistakes. Some newbies deserve to be picked on, but also some seniors too, sorry HACK for what I'm going to write.
My neighbor has Fiat500 Abarth. I like these little cars. I have driven the original growing up, many, many times.
Everytime when I see it, I think of HACK and I laugh silently because of this:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150122
Same with the above post regarding the suspension on BMW.
Cloud9blue is my junior, both younger and spent less time building and tracking cars, and I have learned tremendously from him, here on e90post, the mechanic shop and the track.
This is coming from someone who started hillclimbing cars in mid 1990's and started tracking cars in mid 2000's and the only thing that I have not done a car by myself is complete engine overhaul and automatic transmission rebuild.

Now, let's go back to the subject (not in any particular order) :
-fresh oil
-good brake fluid
-new brakes
-performance tires
-helmet
-seat time
-electronic gadgets to help you learn since instructors are not always the best to learn from
Appreciate 0