E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > For those that have hunted down P20EE / 4D16 SCR issues: what was the ultimate fix?

07-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #23
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I just wanted to add a postscript to this, because:
Since February, BMWNA has extended the DEF tank warranty on 335d vehicles to 10 years/120K miles (it had been on X5d vehicles only since April 2016.)

BMW also added an extended warranty (also 10Y/120K miles) on the NOx sensors. (There are other posts on these two changes, if you search.)

So, I got back my $3200 DEF tank replacement cost, and should shortly get back my $1300+ NOx sensor replacement cost. Too bad I'm now over 120K miles if something else breaks and they add a warranty...
True. But all Bmw parts and service carries a 2yr warranty.
      07-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #24
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
True. But all Bmw parts and service carries a 2yr warranty.
but the "something else" could be the $1200 SCR catalyst, or the $500 injector/mixer, or even (heaven forbid) the DDE. Nothing "new" will be covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #25
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Just thought I would do a quick update of what has progressed. Continued to get additional SES lights, began throwing the typical fuel injector codes as well.

So went ahead and had a shop here in Portland do the CBU cleaning. They didn't ultrasonic clean the intake but did their best with parts cleaner. They also swapped the cylinder injector that was faulting to see if there might have really been a faulty injector. Seemed to briefly help them threw the injector code again and started to get a stumble at idle.

Took it back in and they were able to get my aftermarket warranty to cover replacement of 3 fuel injectors.

Thought that did the trick, car ran better. SES came back after a few hundred miles. Did some
Searching here and found the TSB from BMW that recommends software update after CBU instead of injector replacement. Took it back and the shop updated the software in about an hour. I should have gathered more details on this.

250 miles later another SES. I only have a generic reader and it's the dummy 00000 code, so not sure what it really is at this point.

I guess I either need to buy a reasonably priced code reader that works on these cars, or maybe someone in the PDX area has one?

So frustrating. I have about 6 more months until I have to get the state inspection. Will never pass with these damn codes. Maybe I should sell to someone wanting to do an ABC delete car...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #26
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Get an nt510 or a schwaben to read the codes or a bimmergeeks cable and rheingold/ista.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
Get an nt510 or a schwaben to read the codes or a bimmergeeks cable and rheingold/ista.
Thanks, looks like the Foxwell is still on sale for Xmas through them direct. I presume it allows you to clear codes as well? I would prefer the simpler solution of the bunch, to be honest.

Thought about Carly too, but then you are paying for an app which really has no resale, so if I got rid of the car in a year it's not exactly useful to me any more.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #28
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by octalon7 View Post
Thanks, looks like the Foxwell is still on sale for Xmas through them direct. I presume it allows you to clear codes as well? I would prefer the simpler solution of the bunch, to be honest.

Thought about Carly too, but then you are paying for an app which really has no resale, so if I got rid of the car in a year it's not exactly useful to me any more.
The NT510 would be your best bet then since it can have other manufacturers added to it to custom read their codes.

The NT510 can clear all codes, perform CBS resets, read temps, control the fuel pumps to prime after fuel filter change, register batteries, etc. It is a good scanner to just leave in the vehicle in case you have issues while on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The NT510 would be your best bet then since it can have other manufacturers added to it to custom read their codes.

The NT510 can clear all codes, perform CBS resets, read temps, control the fuel pumps to prime after fuel filter change, register batteries, etc. It is a good scanner to just leave in the vehicle in case you have issues while on the road.
I found one post where ECS indicated the Foxwell version doesn't have as much capability as the Schwaben version? Any ideas what the differences are?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #30
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I found one post where ECS indicated the Foxwell version doesn't have as much capability as the Schwaben version? Any ideas what the differences are?
They are identical as long as they are both using the BMW software.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are identical as long as they are both using the BMW software.
Thanks, found the long thread where this was discussed. At first ECS was claiming theirs was better because it came with the BMW software and their tech support, where Foxwell charged $60 more for a download of the vehicle software. However, it appears in due time that Foxwell started offering one manufacturer free with purchase and were providing the tech support direct any ways. ECS seemed to stop posting after that.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #32
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, found the long thread where this was discussed. At first ECS was claiming theirs was better because it came with the BMW software and their tech support, where Foxwell charged $60 more for a download of the vehicle software. However, it appears in due time that Foxwell started offering one manufacturer free with purchase and were providing the tech support direct any ways. ECS seemed to stop posting after that.
Yep. Same unit same software.

NT510 without the BMW software as a comparison to the schwaben with the BMW software is apples to oranges.
Appreciate 0