E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N53 - Misfire / Stutter / Rough idle / Rough start

08-11-2023, 04:54 AM   #1
REDOX785
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 N53

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Hi guys, I have a 2008 E92 N53B30A 197 000km Manual.

I’m confident since it was brand new, mostly 98/100/102 octane fuel was used, oil changes every 10 000km. (Almost no carbon buildup, and engine internals looks pristine)

And it has developed a pretty funky problem..

History: around 2014/15 Injectors and HPFP replaced by BMW under warranty, lambdas replaced as around 150 000km it has developed problems with it, but they couldnt solve it and it still shows an error in diag. But the car ran fine. 17 000 km ago catalyzator checked by BMW.

Recently I have repaired the CCV membrane, and replaced the valve cover gasket.

The problem:

When you cold start it (it looks something like this https://youtube.com/shorts/tyRpatWAhKw?feature=share) it was worse before, got better somehow on its own and looks like this now.

When it was cold, driving was quasi ok, acceleration was ok (sometimes it hesitated but, still better than nothing), once the oil got to 115 degrees, you could suddenly feel that you lost power and when you tried to accelerate, the whole car was shaking, engine felt like its going to jump out of the car or stall - couldnt accelerate. Engine had to be turned off and on, if the temperature was too high, it wouldnt help and youd need to wait for it to cool down.

(Before MAF unplug. "temp fix") ISTA+ showed me this:

P0301 Misfire C1 / 99 Celsius (2000 RPM)
P0302 Misfire C2 / 22 Celsius (idle)
P0305 Misfire C5 / 22 Celsius (idle)
P0175 Mixture control 2 - too rich - large deviation
P2189 Mixture control 2 - too lean when idle
P0131
P0031
P3027
P0155

Idle is unstable. When driving and engaging the clutch, the RPM goes under 500, then the engine jumps to around 850 RPM and fall to 660.

I was like ok. I have changed the coil on cyl 5, and it misfired, so the problem is not the coil. Spark plugs are new NGKs all 6 of them.

I concluded that the MAF could be the culprit, so I disconnected it, car ran relatively fine (idle still uneven, and sometimes it stuttered during acceleration, but eventually worked fine), temp of oil sits around 100 degrees celsius and the car was quite "happy".

So I have bought new MAF from HELLA, removed all errors and voila, rough idle gone, car worked relatively fine (I could feel that it didnt have its full power potential, but not bad bad), trashed it for a couple of kms (tried to get it how again). And once it got hot boom, check engine light, sudden loss of power, couldnt accelerate, had to stop and disconnect the MAF to let it cool down.

And here I am, car works better without the MAF...

Did anyone of you guys have similar experience? Thank you for any comment!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Looks like you've done over 50,000 km since the injectors were changed and in 2014 they would not have been the latest index. They would be my first suspects for your problem...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0