E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > PE Mod

02-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
RobertRichy
First Lieutenant II I know enough to be dangerous
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI N54 335xi

PE Mod

I picked up a set of OEM mufflers for the PE Mod. Any recommendations on a shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRichy View Post
I picked up a set of OEM mufflers for the PE Mod. Any recommendations on a shop?
???????
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Nothing? C'mon local guys help a brother out.
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #4
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

I was looking of doing this sometime soon this spring/summer and I was wondering the same thing. I've heard good things at AA performance muffler, but I don't know if they would do a job like this or how much it would cost. Their website states that they make custom exhaust systems, so I would think that they could do the PE mod. Here is their website: http://www.aaperformancemuffler.com/...st_systems.php
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Dropped my mufflers of at Buds Muffler yesterday along with pdf of "how to mod your OEM mufflers to sound like PE"
Just like several other shops I talked to they were not sure how to go about it without detailed explanation. After reviewing the instructions and talking it through with me they said they'd do it. I made it very clear that I wanted it done in a very specific way. The way Whitefury outlines in his post.

Interesting side note: the Buds guys said they do something similar with Porsche mufflers quite a bit.

I also scored big time and was able to pick up a set of new OEM claps for $44 from another exhaust shop. I can't believe they had them and were selling for that cheap. I was expecting to pay $160 at Murray BMW. Anyway, I will post a review when I get them installed. Should be tomorrow. I told the guys at Buds that they would probably have a few more Bimmer guys headed their way if all turns out well. Not sure what the total bill for labor will be yet but will include in my follow up post.
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #6
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dropped my mufflers of at Buds Muffler yesterday along with pdf of "how to mod your OEM mufflers to sound like PE"
Just like several other shops I talked to they were not sure how to go about it without detailed explanation. After reviewing the instructions and talking it through with me they said they'd do it. I made it very clear that I wanted it done in a very specific way. The way Whitefury outlines in his post.

Interesting side note: the Buds guys said they do something similar with Porsche mufflers quite a bit.

I also scored big time and was able to pick up a set of new OEM claps for $44 from another exhaust shop. I can't believe they had them and were selling for that cheap. I was expecting to pay $160 at Murray BMW. Anyway, I will post a review when I get them installed. Should be tomorrow. I told the guys at Buds that they would probably have a few more Bimmer guys headed their way if all turns out well. Not sure what the total bill for labor will be yet but will include in my follow up post.
Keep us updated on how that goes. I would be very interested if it turns out right and if the price is right. Are you an e90 or e92 (if e90 are you getting the xpipe)? And are you getting new tips done?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #7
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

E90 xdrive I'm going to see how it sounds before deciding on the xpipe and will be keeping factory tips for the time being.

What is the benefit of the xpipe vs the h pipe? I've read through all most all the PE Mod posts/threads and don't recall why it should be done.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
E90 xdrive I'm going to see how it sounds before deciding on the xpipe and will be keeping factory tips for the time being.

What is the benefit of the xpipe vs the h pipe? I've read through all most all the PE Mod posts/threads and don't recall why it should be done.
E90 has the resonator and the e92 does not. The benefits of the xpipe are better flow and they equalize the pressures, and it increases sound over the stock e90 resonator
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Want to see how this sounds
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

I’ll start of by saying that my goal was to be at an all in cost of under $350 including the second set of mufflers. That being said, it is going to end up being around $500. Don’t get me wrong $500 is a great price for what I anticipate being a better sounding version of the PE.

I have been working with Mike at Buds Muffler on the PE mod. As I mentioned previously he was skeptical about doing it and what purpose it would serve but said he would do it and was interested in hearing the results. Based on the pics he provided it looks like it was done exactly as I asked. The one thing I stressed was that the packaging be evenly distributed. According to the “Whitefury PE Mod” the packing is essential to ensuring no drone and no rasp. I will be picking them up tomorrow and probably installing myself. As far as the shop goes…..they appear to have done a good job at a reasonable price of $295. However, they were a bit slow to get it done because they apparently kept having a few guys call in sick for several days. I’m definitely glad I picked up an extra set so I would not be without my car for a day or two. The shop does quite a bit of high end work so I trusted them to do the job right but I am not thrilled about their unwillingness to perform the install at a reasonable price. Mike told me it would be around $150 for the install and could not do better on the price. That’s a bummer because I’d like to have a one stop shop. Oh well, that gives me a chance to paint the mufflers black with high temp paint and shop around for an install price if I decide not to do it myself. My experience with shopping this job around has been somewhat frustrating for a few reasons.

1. I talked to 5 different shops and was quoted $250 - $360 at buds. (final price before tax $295) Other shops were quoting $400 -$600 and telling me that it was a complete muffler rebuild even after I provided detailed instructions. I understand that they are the “experts” but continually challenging me about what it takes to perform the mod after reading hundreds of posts and seeing dozens of pics got really annoying.
2. The cost of BMW exhaust clamps is a bit ridiculous. I was fortunate to score a set for basically half off.
3. Price of install. Honestly it should not take a qualified tech more than 45 min to do it. Again, several places have quoted $150 - $200 . I feel it is a $50 - $75 dollar job.

Here are pics from the work that has been done. I hope to get them painted and installed before the end of the week. Stay tuned for audio/video clips and final analysis.

Opened Up

Finishing up

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

Second to last picture looks like old people hair.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
rodent
Garage Pimp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

So you cut out the canisters and welded in straight pipes? What was in the right muffler before? Just the fiber?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #14
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent
So you cut out the canisters and welded in straight pipes? What was in the right muffler before? Just the fiber?
Perforated straight pipe just like you see in the middle section of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Well my impatience got the best of me and got them installed. I went to DIY Auto in Arvada and did the work myself. I saved myself $145 in labor charges and got the satisfaction of swapping the exhaust myself. If you ever need a lift and tools it is a great way to go. I got the install done in under an hour and the bay/lift only cost me $40.

Quick review...the sound in definitely pronounced. It sounds like the golf tee mod X2 along with a few pops and crackles on downshifts and deceleration. I do think the Xpipe is going to be the key to really unlock the sound I'm looking for. I've read complaints that the PE mod is too loud when you have down pipes.....I would have to disagree. I'm running AR DP's and no problem with the volume. Unless the xpipe somehow makes it 3x louder than it is now it will be fine. No drone whatsoever and no rasp. I'll try to get a vid or two before and after the xpipe install. I'll probably wait a few weeks on the xpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Sounds like you got a great deal all around. Those welds on the muffler are I hope they did a cleaner job on everything else inside and the rest of the way around. Welding that large of a panel is definitely time consuming. Enjoy your new found noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #17
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3
Sounds like you got a great deal all around. Those welds on the muffler are I hope they did a cleaner job on everything else inside and the rest of the way around. Welding that large of a panel is definitely time consuming. Enjoy your new found noise.
Yeah, the welds are pretty ugly but fortunately they are on top and out of sight. With that being said I would recommend Buds for the simple reason that they have now done the mod and can repeat it.

Last edited by RobertRichy; 12-23-2016 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #18
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Quick update for those who care. I like the sound but definitely looking to get a bit deeper tone. The xpipe is the next step. So now I am starting all over with exhaust shops in hope of finding one that will do the job at a reasonable price. So far I have checked with 3 shops and have been quoted $300 - $450 for xpipe install! : Each conversation has started just like when I was shopping for a shop to mod the muffler.

Shop: why do you want to do that?

Me: Because it a mod this I would like to have done in order to get my exhaust to sound a certain way.

Shop: I don't see how us welding in an Xpipe is going to help accomplish that.

Me: well let me give you the backstory. For several years now BMW owners have been performing this modification to replicate the sound of an $1800 BMW performance exhaust.

Shop: well it's going to take quite a bit of customs work to put an xpipe in. Why don't you just straight pipe it to the mufflers?

Me: I don't want to straight pipe it because that's not the sound I am looking for. The guy who came up with this particular method is a sound engineer and his directions are very specific and that is why I want it done this way.

Shop: again, we can do anything you want but I'm not sure what good an xpipe will do for you.

Me: what's it going to cost?

Shop: custom ypipe to an xpipe ( greasy fingers pounding away on a giant calculator) plus stainless and 2 1/2 hours of labor comes to $350

Me: I am having a hard time understanding the difficulty of installing an xpipe when I know of dozens of guys (on the forum) who have had the exact same work done for $75 - $150. Can you help me understand that?

Shop: it is quite a bit of custom work. If you want it done right that's what it will take.

Me: the idea of this "mod" is to replicate the $1800 exhaust for a fraction of the price...not to piecemeal my way to $1200 dollars worth of "custom" exhaust work. I'll keep shopping thanks for your time.

Why is this such a pain in the ass? I've never experienced such resistance from a company or companies that offer a service. Am I crazy for thinking that an exhaust shop should just be willing to do what I ask at a reasonable price? Especially when I provide instructions and data to back up the cost and results I am looking for? I am so annoyed right now.

Oh and don't even bother with asking a shop to remove the secondary cats. Apparently it's a huge fine to the shop if they are reported for doing so.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #19
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Getting an x pipe installed for 75-150 is honestly a bit of a long shot. That low of a price is the hookup for a friend. Is that price with the x pipe included or is that with the forum members bringing one to the shop for install? Most exhaust shops charge per cut and per weld. If you look at 4 cuts, 4 welds plus removal and installation of the exhaust, that waist adds up. Even though it's a simple exhaust to remove, it still takes time and time is what shops sell. IMO $350 to purchase an x pipe and have it properly installed is not unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
rodent
Garage Pimp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

What about buying something like this and have them weld the ends?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-643125/overview/

BTW you should also talk to Jon Vigil or Tommy G. Both use to weld for AR. If you need their contact info, PM me.

Here is Jon's FB site:
https://www.facebook.com/Vi-Engineer...866/?pnref=lhc
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #21
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the feedback and info. Rodent, I will be hitting you up for contact info soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I read on another thread that people we getting an xpipe for $45-90.. Where are those guys in the Denver area haha (provided that you bring your own xpipe for them to install)
Appreciate 0