E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Considering buying a 335d

11-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Considering buying a 335d

I have owned many BMW's E46M3, 135i, Z435i and I basically tuned them all with FBO. My current dd is a 2006 Jetta TDI and it is a great car but I think that I am ready to switch back to BMW and buy a 335d. They are becoming very reasonably priced and it seems like a good time to make the switch.

In my state, NC, we don't test emissions on diesel automobiles so I will certainly replace the downpipe and tune the car.

What should I look out for in my search? Are their common failure items that I would want to consider when shopping.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Read the stickys
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
I have owned many BMW's E46M3, 135i, Z435i and I basically tuned them all with FBO. My current dd is a 2006 Jetta TDI and it is a great car but I think that I am ready to switch back to BMW and buy a 335d. They are becoming very reasonably priced and it seems like a good time to make the switch.

In my state, NC, we don't test emissions on diesel automobiles so I will certainly replace the downpipe and tune the car.

What should I look out for in my search? Are their common failure items that I would want to consider when shopping.

Thanks
The one thing that is definitely a common failure on the 335d / M57 motor is the crankshaft dampener pulley / harmonic balancer. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". You can DIY it for about $300-400. There's really no way to inspect the car to tell if failure is imminent. There are plenty of threads regarding the issue on this sub-forum.

Other items that commonly fail on the m57 are the boost pipe on the inlet side of the intercooler. Sub-$200 DIY. You know yours has failed if the front-lower-left side of your engine bay looks like the inside of a chimney. The crank case breather hose also likes to disintegrate and make a mess of things on the top side. A fairly cheap fix. Vacuum hoses tend break from time to time. Not an expensive fix, but can be a pain to diagnose/locate leak/access part.

I've also noticed a lot of folks have issues with the glow plug controller. I haven't had an issue with it and am not really well versed in the causes/symptoms to say much about it, but it's definitely something worth searching for on the forum. Apparently it can be replaced without removing the intake -- so that's good news.

Injector failure can happen as well. I need to do more reading on the causes and symptoms myself, but I bring it up because replacement is expensive. Regular replacement of the fuel filter would be a logical first line of defense here.

The other issue with this car is the EGR and exhaust aftertreatment system. Check out the alphabet soup sticky regarding your options. I would say this is the biggest issue with the car and the one you should familiarize yourself with the most before buying one. You seem like you've already done a fair amount of reading about the issue, but fully exploring the rabbit hole is well worth the time.

As with any used car buy, a well-documented service history is extremely valuable. Pass on anything with service history that is unknown or shows neglect.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

I am curious about the reliability of the turbos and the M57 longblock. I realize that most of the issues with the 335d are emission, boost pipe or balancer related. I live in a state (NC) that doesn't test emissions on diesel cars so I plan to just remove anything emission related. How have the OEM turbos held up and are there any know failures of the short block or long block?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Sans emissions taking care of the maintenance items they are usually rock solid. Transmission fluid IS NOT Lifetime. Change the thermostat if the temp does not go above 175f.
Appreciate 0