E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2A82 (Vanos Intake) + grayish oil

10-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

2A82 (Vanos Intake) + grayish oil

Hi, I have got 2A82 (VANOS intake) error on my N52 engine.
I have checked the oil and it is grayish color (aluminum powder?).

Is it Vanos seal rings (cam ledge bearing) destroying itself?
How severe is this?
Is it ok to drive with such vehicle for a while (as its my daily car)?

Last edited by Hotter; 10-14-2022 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

How gray is your oil? Are you seeing aluminum specs or full gray? You could have a coolant leak. Good news is, the head gaskets on the n52 are pretty robust. Maybe the leak is in the oil filter housing gasket.

In terms of your 2A82, could be intake vanos solenoid unless you're seeing shiny specs. Maybe the solenoid/vanos isn't functioning well due to coolant in the oil. Take a photo of the oil quality. Don't drive the car.

1. Check and replace oil filter housing gasket. Change oil. A few changes would be needed to remove coolant. By the cheapest oil for the flush before putting in quality oil for a final drain and fill.
2. If the code is coming back, swap vanos solenoids.
3. If the code comes to the exhaust side, change the solenoids
4. If the code stays on the intake side, you need a new engine or an expensive cam ledge bearing replacement. The intake cam ledge is integrated into the head. A new engine might be cheaper.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 10-14-2022 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
Hotter72.00
      10-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
How gray is your oil?
Oil is quite gray, I did not take a photo though, but its similar to this (photo from internet):

Quote:
You could have a coolant leak.
I did not observe loosing much coolant, so I assume its not a coolant leak?

If its not a coolant leak, than it might be aluminum "powder" in the oil from "cam ledge bearing"?
(by saying "Vanos seal rings" i ment "cam ledge bearing" in the first post)

I have tried to change the oil and run the engine. After that I see grayish oil again instantly when I open oil filter.

Additional problem is that my mechanic is busy now and this car is my daily...

Last edited by Hotter; 10-14-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

That looks like a coolant leak issue. You'd have metal specs if it was from the ledge. Here's an example from someone posting.

View post on imgur.com

You said you didn't observe losing much coolant, so you might be losing some. Doesn't take much to change the color of oil.
Take your old oil and put it in a clear cup. Check if it separates somewhat.

Changing the oil once would not remove all the gray oil from the engine block. You'd have to flush several times. Cheapest would be to check your oil filter housing gasket and then vanos solenoids if necessary before jumping to conclusions. Although I'm not sure how long you've been running you car like this, the vanos system might be very unhappy and you might actually have bearing wear.

Also, what operating temperature is the 2a82 showing up? Is it continually present or triggered once. You can view intake/exhaust camshaft advancement in INPA after replacing OFHG and flushing the system. Again, could be the contaminated oil impacting the vanos system.
I had a 2a98 code on cold engine start up every 200 or so miles. Replaced solenoids.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 10-14-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You'd have metal specs if it was from the ledge. Here's an example from someone posting.
View post on imgur.com
I have checked oil filter, sadly, I do have aluminum specs as in the photo...
Which aluminum part can be wearing off? Only "cam ledge bearing" or there could be something else?
Is there any other threads about aluminum specs in the oil filter?
What could have caused this?

My car is 2010 and not with very huge millage (~166k km), I would expect engine to last longer...
N52 does not look that reliable to me anymore... I hope these aluminum specs did not damage entire engine...

Last edited by Hotter; 10-17-2022 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #6
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Some people in this thread recommended checking INPA for oil pressure at idle and driving. If you have bearing wear, oil pressure won't be at 1.5bar idle and 4-6bar driving.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1860258

Related to the photo I posted, some people said it's normal engine wear, while others had bearing wear with similar metal specs in the oil filter. Other than the cam ledges, I'm not sure what else could wear in the N52. The rod bearings are pretty robust. How often did you change the oil? If its every 10,000km, I doubt you have a cam ledge issue and just vanos solenoids. I believe 2010 came with updated teflon bearings.

There's a chance it could be a broken Vanos bolt, but usually it's accompanied but more/different Vanos related codes.

I still think your gray oil is coolant. Replace the oil filter housing gasket/oil cooler gasket if you have one integrated into the filter housing. It's a very easy DIY with a decent torque wrench. Start with that, flush the oil, check for oil pressure.
If codes return, swap the intake/exhaust vanos solenoids.
If codes appear for the exhaust, replace both vanos solenoids with Genuine BMW and you're good.
If codes continue to appear on the intake side, you might have bearing ledge wear, but from my understanding you should already have updated bearings. Or a Vanos bolt failure, but your code makes it highly likely that it's solenoid related.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 10-17-2022 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #7
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

So finally mechanic removed valve cover and everything seems to be ok there, but bad sound and shaving specs in the oil is still there.
Mechanic says that it is bad somewhere at a lower part of the engine - might be crankshaft or bearing shells?
Any advice what should I do now?

1) Engine rebuild (pros + and cons -)
+ will know existing engine failure cause?
+ I could hope for a small cause? (not likely though)
- metal shaving might remain as its hard to ensure cleanliness of an engine
predicted cost ~3000eur

2) Engine replace with new used one (pros + and cons -)
+ don't need to take apart existing engine
+ can drive with existing engine? (But how long? What could happen?)
- wont know existing engine failure cause?
- can't guarantee that new used engine will be good
predicted cost ~2000eur (new used engine replace only)
or
predicted cost ~3000eur (new used engine replace with bearing shells and what not)

3)

Should I let mechanic to remove head and investigate further? Or I should be searching for a new used engine instead?
If I will buy a new used engine, should I be driving with existing one? What could happen? How long will I be able to drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
That looks like a coolant leak issue. You'd have metal specs if it was from the ledge. Here's an example from someone posting.

View post on imgur.com

You said you didn't observe losing much coolant, so you might be losing some. Doesn't take much to change the color of oil.
Take your old oil and put it in a clear cup. Check if it separates somewhat.

Changing the oil once would not remove all the gray oil from the engine block. You'd have to flush several times. Cheapest would be to check your oil filter housing gasket and then vanos solenoids if necessary before jumping to conclusions. Although I'm not sure how long you've been running you car like this, the vanos system might be very unhappy and you might actually have bearing wear.

Also, what operating temperature is the 2a82 showing up? Is it continually present or triggered once. You can view intake/exhaust camshaft advancement in INPA after replacing OFHG and flushing the system. Again, could be the contaminated oil impacting the vanos system.
I had a 2a98 code on cold engine start up every 200 or so miles. Replaced solenoids.
Hey I recognize my picture But FYI in my case those metal flakes were after doing the cam bearing ledge rather than a symptom of indicating a bad cam bearing ledge before. I confirmed my symptom by swapping solenoids, making sure oil cage was OK and checking the VANOS check valves to make sure not clogged. After that I decided to open the top end and take out camshafts where I saw both my exhaust and intake were grooved but at that moment only the intake was giving me codes. That said I have a N54 engine.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 11-04-2022 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI xDrive

VANOS code can be caused by several possible issues, from a cheap and easy replacement of VANOS solenoids to expensive VANOS gear bolt failures. If coolant does mix with oil, it can alter the physical characters of the oil and cause oil pressure issues, and the VANOS system is very sensitive to that.

I'd recommend swapping the VANOS solenoids immediately to rule out faulty solenoids, which is common, and doing this is quick and free. Also check if the inner core of the oil filter is present on the oil filter cap, also quick and free. Then, if that does not solve the issue, try swapping the cam position sensors and cleaning the oil no-return valves (a.k.a check valves) on the side of the engine. If DIY'ed, those are free and can be done in a couple hours. If this still doesn't work, then get the car checked by a shop ASAP.

I went through the exact process on my car and my issue was broken VANOS bolts, which holds the VANOS gear and adjuster unit together. If they are loose, those bolts will scratch on the cylinder head, which happened in my case. If they are completely off, then basically the timing chain will no longer drive the camshaft, which can damage valves and require an engine rebuild or a new engine.

So if there is a chance this is a more serious issue, such as coolant leak or VANOS bolts, you'd want to get it checked as soon as possible.

My thread for reference:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959160
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #10
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein_135 View Post
So if there is a chance this is a more serious issue, such as coolant leak or VANOS bolts, you'd want to get it checked as soon as possible.
As I said in my previous post it does not seem to be VANOS related issue, mechanic said that the sound and metal shavings are coming from the bottom of the engine.

Can gearbox change somehow impact crankshaft or bearing shell failure?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
As I said in my previous post it does not seem to be VANOS related issue, mechanic said that the sound and metal shavings are coming from the bottom of the engine.

Can gearbox change somehow impact crankshaft or bearing shell failure?
How exactly did your mechanic confirmed this diagnostic? You mention he only removed the valve cover and that's it. I can understand confirming the VANOS bolts aren't backed off the VANOS gear but for example the bearing ledge grooving, even on the N52 intake side, I am fairly certain the camshaft must be removed to inspect it.

What sound are you talking about? You originally didn't mention any sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 07:37 PM   #12
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

I had metal showing up for 50k on an n53 and it never threw any vanos errors. Reckon the bearing ledge wear is more common than we might think but folks rarely check their oil filters and if it happens slowly the vanos errors don't occur.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 02:28 AM   #13
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
How exactly did your mechanic confirmed this diagnostic? You mention he only removed the valve cover and that's it. I can understand confirming the VANOS bolts aren't backed off the VANOS gear but for example the bearing ledge grooving, even on the N52 intake side, I am fairly certain the camshaft must be removed to inspect it.
Not sure how, but he cleaned/swapped VANOS solenoids and VANOS error went away. So it seems that only oil contamination threw VANOS error. Also he said that if it would be VANOS bolt's I would have bunch of errors...

Quote:
What sound are you talking about? You originally didn't mention any sound.
Well, I thought it was lifter sound. But It seems there is something else, mechanic said that its not lifter sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:37 AM   #14
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

I have never seen anyone have issues with rod bearing wear on the N52 regardless of year. Did the mechanic confirm that coolant was also contaminating the oil or just metal shavings?

Since you have metal shavings, just go with new engine, don't bother swapping out rod bearings. Look for an engine with low mileage, you won't have issues. If it's high mileage, just have the mechanic inspect the cam ledges and swap out with teflon rings if they haven't been done already from factory/recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
Not sure how, but he cleaned/swapped VANOS solenoids and VANOS error went away. So it seems that only oil contamination threw VANOS error. Also he said that if it would be VANOS bolt's I would have bunch of errors...

Well, I thought it was lifter sound. But It seems there is something else, mechanic said that its not lifter sound.
Have you driven your car yet or just taken your mechanic's word about the code not coming back? I ask because for example when my intake VANOS 2A82 code kept popping up, it took a long time for it to come up between one another. I swapped solenoids thinking my problem was resolved just for it to come up. It only came up when my oil was starting to get warm and if I left form a stop on WOT or accelerate the throttle very softly and then decide to accelerate faster. Sometimes I could drive my car for a full cycle and not have the code come up either.

Yes VANOS bolts but you can also have a bearing ledge issue that will also cause 2A82 VANOS code like I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:06 AM   #16
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have never seen anyone have issues with rod bearing wear on the N52 regardless of year. Did the mechanic confirm that coolant was also contaminating the oil or just metal shavings?
I hope its not rod bearing, mechanic will investigate the real issue during next weeks, might remove head and stuff. He said its not coolant issue.

Quote:
Since you have metal shavings, just go with new engine, don't bother swapping out rod bearings. Look for an engine with low mileage, you won't have issues. If it's high mileage, just have the mechanic inspect the cam ledges and swap out with teflon rings if they haven't been done already from factory/recall.
He said its aluminum shavings. Is it still better to go with a new engine? I still want to know the root cause, so will let mechanic disassemble engine and see is it worth fixing or not... he said it might be hard to clean those all aluminum shaving. Will those aluminum shavings hurt engine a lot?

Quote:
Have you driven your car yet or just taken your mechanic's word about the code not coming back? I ask because for example when my intake VANOS 2A82 code kept popping up, it took a long time for it to come up between one another. I swapped solenoids thinking my problem was resolved just for it to come up. It only came up when my oil was starting to get warm and if I left form a stop on WOT or accelerate the throttle very softly and then decide to accelerate faster. Sometimes I could drive my car for a full cycle and not have the code come up either.

Yes VANOS bolts but you can also have a bearing ledge issue that will also cause 2A82 VANOS code like I had.
I am taking mechanics word, he did a little drive, but yeah, it might be not enough. Would VANOS bolts or bearing ledge cause some kind of additional (grinding/lifter like) engine noise though?

Last edited by Hotter; 11-08-2022 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #17
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't bother wasting money on disassembling the engine. Just get a new one, the engine is probably beyond saving and the cost to clean the engine and replace worn components is more than getting a new engine. I'm sure they're around 600-1000Euros each and better for the mechanic to just remove the old engine and pop a new one back in. Again if you want, make sure you have the upgraded teflon cam bearings. N52s don't having rod bearing issues.

You might also want to do front and rear main seals, valve cover (for the new PCV) + valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter/cooler housing gasket on the new engine and you'll be golden for the next 200,000km
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

For sure a new engine would be the best option if your bottom end has an issue. I'm just surprised your mechanic is saying it's trash. Can we have a sound of that noise you are talking about?

If you check your filter after changing oil and all, do you still have shavings?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #19
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

So mechanic did not find anything what creates aluminum shavings... Just flushed engine oil few times and cleaned and it has less aluminum shavings. It seems that its "normal" for these BMW engines to have aluminum shavings...

I will record engine sound tomorrow. Maybe "hydraulic compensators" (Alignment element 11337605330 & 11337548690) are causing that sound? So might be good to replace them, I am waiting for MILVs so will do all at once.

I think I also need to replace "Teflon O-ring" (x4 11317587757) as they are metal in my 2009-09 car?

Do I need also to replace VANOS gear bolts (ISA screw M7x21 x8 11368602263) to updated ones?

Last edited by Hotter; 11-20-2022 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #20
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cold engine sound:

Warm engine sound:

Last edited by Hotter; 11-20-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #21
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Am I missing something ? There is a groove in that cap that shouldn't be there, the one on the right looks quite deep - isn't that the likely source of the alu shavings? Don't forget they'll have been squeezed through the oil pump.

My aluminium shavings were slivers, most were 2-3mm long and about the width of a hair and others were maybe 8mm long.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 07:01 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Am I missing something ? There is a groove in that cap that shouldn't be there, the one on the right looks quite deep - isn't that the likely source of the alu shavings? Don't forget they'll have been squeezed through the oil pump.

My aluminium shavings were slivers, most were 2-3mm long and about the width of a hair and others were maybe 8mm long.
Those gray-ish areas are indeed the area that grooves over time and causes the VANOS code.

OP, if you run your fingernail across them does it get stuck in it? Also do note there will be the same type of grooves underneath the camshaft that you must inspect, unforutnely on the 328i engine I believe that groove is in the head on the intake side rather than being a cam bearing ledge tray like the exhaust side meaning a new head/engine is needed to fix.

And yes OP you should update the seals they seem to be silver meaning metal that said on my engine I still had the plastic/teflon type seal which caused grooving in mine so it doesn't really prevent the issue 100%.

Also maybe it's just me but your video clips the engine sounds OK?
Appreciate 0