E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Android head unit + mhd?

08-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Ballistacold
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Android head unit + mhd?

Howdy!

So, my stock radio needs replacing, and I have seen a few of these Android head units, like eonon for example.

Has anyone used that Android head unit to run mhd and view that gauge pack setup right in dash?

Figured if the radio needs replacing and they make Android units why both getting a tablet I might want to mount later?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I saw a video of someone running MHD on their Android head unit:

It sounds like they just plugged the cable directly from the OBDII port into the USB port on the head unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
Patrickwatt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW & E90

I heard the OBDII tool is inserted in the car, then connected with the unit by bluetooth. I like XTORNS more than eonon, heard from a friend said the system of XTRONS is more stable. This video for reference.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickwatt View Post
I like XTORNS more than eonon, heard from a friend said the system of XTRONS is more stable.
Not sure what your friend means by stable. I have the eonon 9165B and it's been great. 2 months now and no issues.

I chose eonon over xtrons because it had many more user reviews online, and more 3rd party developer support for custom ROM and MCU updates.

Xtrons does have a full screen unit without buttons which can be nice as you get a larger screen, but I preferred the OEM look of having buttons and knobs.

Good luck!
      09-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #5
Patrickwatt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW & E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Not sure what your friend means by stable. I have the eonon 9165B and it's been great. 2 months now and no issues.

I chose eonon over xtrons because it had many more user reviews online, and more 3rd party developer support for custom ROM and MCU updates.

Xtrons does have a full screen unit without buttons which can be nice as you get a larger screen, but I preferred the OEM look of having buttons and knobs.

Good luck!
Maybe it's more accuracy to say smoother than eonon. Xtrons also have units with buttons. Actually Chinese products are similar. My friend's Xtrons unit has been used for almost 2 years, everything is still fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickwatt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post

Good luck!
Maybe it's more accuracy to say smoother than eonon. Xtrons also have units with buttons. Actually Chinese products are similar. My friend's Xtrons unit has been used for almost 2 years, everything is still fine.
You're right, most of these units are all very similar. Just Chinese px5 Android units.
The 9165B from eonon does improve older models, and is octacore, maybe your friend was comparing against a different model.

Either way, I would recommend using a custom rom anyway if available. I used Hal9k rom on my unit, faster than stock (less bloat, unseeded google services), and includes a few nice features too
      10-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
nitesite
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I used an OBD Splitter Cable on my unit:
- Unscrewed the OBD port connecter in footwell
- Plugged a Y-Splitter into it
- 1 of the splitter cables sits where the original OBD port is
- The other one runs inside the dash, where a D-can cable is plugged into it and then into the Android unit via USB

MHD, Pro Tool and Carly all work fine!

Appreciate 0