E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Valve/Head Job Advantages ?

07-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Exclamation Valve/Head Job Advantages ?

About two weeks ago I took my car into the dealer to have an unexpected broken vent pipe replaced that broke on me just when it was time to take the car in for a brake fluid flush and a complete diagnosis. Currrently the car has almost 86k miles on it.

The technician found that I had an oil leak coming from my valve cover gasket, oil filter gasket, and oil pan gasket. (However there was no signs of oil leaking when i had the car)

After fixing everything he starts my car and the engine sounded like it wanted to puke.

He removes the cylindar head and found that one of my valve heads broke and it was crushed/spattered around the walls.

BMWNW approved to have a head job done instead of replacing the engine.

What is are benefits to this other than having my car up and running again, and what should I look at for after this is done ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

There's no way he removed the engine just like that...really doubt it, it's an 18 hour job
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
There's no way he removed the engine just like that...really doubt it, it's an 18 hour job
3 days later I personally saw my cylindar head with my Dinan CAI disassembled on a table while they waited for BMWNA inspector to come.

How I got to see this? There is not one human being there that could of stopped me from seeing my car. I didnt even ask, I told them I was going to see my car and I am going to see the technician. I will leave the rest for the readers to imagine and they had no other choice but to follow me and point me to my car and the other half of my engine to see it myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Not the engine...just the head. Just a few hours to do that...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
BMWNW approved to have a head job done instead of replacing the engine.

What is are benefits to this other than having my car up and running again, and what should I look at for after this is done ?
It depends on the damage that was caused. But, if a valve *broke* and was being munched around in the cylinder that is a lot of damage sir. I'd expect an entire rebuild on the shortblock would be in order. If their story was true then that valve damaged your piston and your cylinder walls. You'd need to have the block bored and new oversized pistons installed.

Then the head itself, there's probably significant damage to the combustion chamber. The only way to fix damage like that is to weld up the chamber and rework it by hand, then heat treat it in an oven to straighten the head back out after welding, and align hone the cam journals.

There is more money and work involved in fixing a dropped valve than just putting in a new engine (in most cases). I'd be leary of them just doing a head job.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

There are numerous advantages to a head job

(sorry, but I just had to )
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

So you take it in for minor service when nothing is wrong and suddenly there is a valve broken in your engine? Sounds like they tried to screw you into service you didn't need then f'd up and broke stuff.
      07-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Not necessarily though I know how this looks. Coincidences (shit) happens. When I went to get my Quaife LSD installed, it was done the we went out to test drive. Car rotated like a charm. We went oh 3 miles? Suddenly it was like a struggling 328i. Turbos wouldn't boost at all, just like that. Glad I was in the car. No warning nothing, just poof, and that was that. Now imagine if I was not there how this would have looked! Drove in a perfectly driving car for diff install. 5hrs later, I have a spanking new diff in the car, but the Turbos are MIA. Hmmm???????

The point is, to be fair none of us were there, and the speculation is not proof of any complacency. Just because they are fixing it doesn't mean its their fault either. I got new Turbos from BMW too and honestly I would have had no legs to stand on if they had pressed the issue. Just be happy they are fixing it. It could have turned out worse is all.