E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Guess who's back, back again ….. E91 335i

08-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Guess who's back, back again ….. E91 335i

So after 18months at the wheel of an Alfa Romeo 159 Ti drastic measures were required to get back into a BMW! My E92 came to an untimely end and as a stop gap I purchased the Alfa as a tick in the box, I did like the car a lot but preferred to look at it rather than drive it!

I began keeping an eye out for E91 335i’s in manual but as time passed I realised that the chances of finding one was going to be small. There was another hiccup when the wife decided we would benefit more from knocking a wall down and creating a new kitchen at home rather than a new car so my budget was depleted considerably!

As time went on I noticed good 91’s were going for close to F30 money and was I prepared to spend that much on one, I therefore started to manage expectations in my own mind and thought I would have to compromise in certain areas if I was ever going to make it happen.

So about a month ago an auto came up not far from me and I decided to go just kick the tyres on it. When I first pulled up I knew black was the colour I had to have and along with a contrasting interior which this one had, I thought its irrelevant as its an auto! I took it out and I didn’t dislike it so I thought that’s progress, I then came away and asked a few questions on here and thought with an M3 wheel and Alpina flash it could be good fun….

There were other compromises and it had done more miles than I liked but after going away for a week and thinking about it properly and then coming home to the Alfa I decided I need to get over it!! I put the Alfa up for sale and it sold pretty quickly and I decided to take the plunge based on the assumption that it went to a local Independent for a full health check. The health check was positive with just a couple of little bits raised that I expected with age and mileage, essentially engine wise it was in very good shape which I thought whatever happened it was a good base to build on.

That done and price agreed I went and picked up on Friday night, it was a 30 mile drive home on some great roads and I must say it was great to be driving something with a little more go again! An overtaking manoeuvre completed without having to plan it for 5 mins and have to listen to the pain of the GM diesel straining away just to get by!
I took a couple of phone pictures yesterday….

Initial thoughts are that things I’ve compromised on, xenons, panoramic roof, upgraded hifi and of course manual are not the end of the world and the colour combo more than make up for it. The auto is also good for daily driving although I do need to change the wheel or atleast rewire the paddles as the standard set up really isn’t very intuitive at all! I’ve already a couple of times gone to drop down a gear or two and have a play and just ended up changing up!!

Initial plans are to tidy it up as there are some little niggles I can get sorted pretty quick like the tint on the rear screen which is cracked and a leaking headlight washer pump. Its then time to say goodbye to the wood trim with some gloss back or maybe just a wrap to keep cost down. I’ll then look to get the valves cleaned and do some servicing bits ahead of time just for my own peace of mind.

Following that its down to mod city to release the potential and all the plans I’ve had in my mind for the last 18 months!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Welcome back Greg! Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Good work that man! Welcome back. Even though you never left!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

At last the car you wanted.....I couldn't of held out for the time you did Greg for a tourer, I remember when I got mine I was after a tourer or a saloon with Xenons and ideally nav, nothing else would do needless to say in the 3 or so months that I held out not a single car appeared, I gave up and I settled on the car I've got now, I don't regret it but I always hankered after the E91 or E90 nod to a degree still do.

On the tourer front one question still puzzles me with BMW and their logic is they never offered xenons as standard on these cars and for the saloons either and the same method applies it would seem to the later F series model..... seems a strange decision when let's face it halogen light technology doesn't quite hit the mark re performance that xenon lights offer and for the ultimate driving machine seems a little odd. Yet on the coupes, cabs you get it as standard though you pay more to purchase. Surely something here isn't quite right... But that's another story.

But congrats Greg, looks really nice, exterior interior contrast look forward to seeing the updates which I'm sure will gradually make their way on to these pages
      08-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Great choice, was this the one listed on eBay?

As you say sometimes compromises have to be made, the problem is these cars are so rare that when one comes up, its probably always going to have something you wish it had!

I love E91 335i's - I looked for one, but had to compromise myself when a mega spec 325d came up, and I really had no time left to wait for a 335i as I needed a car for work!

Look forward to seeing where you go with this!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Huge congrats buddy and welcome back to the fold.

The auto box for me is where it's at. I do still like manuals but let's be honest these autos are superb at what they do. You still have the opportunity to take over too with the paddles so win-win.

I've got an M3 steering wheel all retrimmed by Jack if interested but you would need the paddles still.

Look forward to the mods though for sure.
      08-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
UltimateDream
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Another E91 to look forward to! It's gonna be hard to top R99's build but I have high hopes for you
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:13 AM   #8
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Welcome back. Let the modding begin!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
fastmonkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M

Love that black with red, although not sure the wood ties it together. I've just bought a 335i e91 as well so have subscribed with interest !
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 04:51 AM   #10
Greg330
Major
Rep

Thanks guys its great to be back!! Best thing is i've got the turning around everytime i walk away from it back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
On the tourer front one question still puzzles me with BMW and their logic is they never offered xenons as standard on these cars and for the saloons either and the same method applies it would seem to the later F series model..... seems a strange decision when let's face it halogen light technology doesn't quite hit the mark re performance that xenon lights offer and for the ultimate driving machine seems a little odd. Yet on the coupes, cabs you get it as standard though you pay more to purchase. Surely something here isn't quite right... But that's another story.
I thought it was really strange too, especially on a so called top of the range model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
Great choice, was this the one listed on eBay?

As you say sometimes compromises have to be made, the problem is these cars are so rare that when one comes up, its probably always going to have something you wish it had!

I love E91 335i's - I looked for one, but had to compromise myself when a mega spec 325d came up, and I really had no time left to wait for a 335i as I needed a car for work!

Look forward to seeing where you go with this!
It was indeed the one from eBay, had quite a lot of interest and a couple of viewings but nobody was brave enough to pull the trigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Huge congrats buddy and welcome back to the fold.

The auto box for me is where it's at. I do still like manuals but let's be honest these autos are superb at what they do. You still have the opportunity to take over too with the paddles so win-win.

I've got an M3 steering wheel all retrimmed by Jack if interested but you would need the paddles still.

Look forward to the mods though for sure.
The auto is cool and the M3 wheel will make it even better, will let you know about your wheel but would ideally want one with paddles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmlee View Post
Another E91 to look forward to! It's gonna be hard to top R99's build but I have high hopes for you
I'll no way top him, his car is stunning, it was actually the reason i had to go black!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
It was indeed the one from eBay, had quite a lot of interest and a couple of viewings but nobody was brave enough to pull the trigger!
Looks like a great car - there is a LCI E91 335i Touring on the AUC site... must.not.enquire.

Quote:
I'll no way top him, his car is stunning, it was actually the reason i had to go black!!
Nice to know it helped make your colour choice!

You wont thank my car for inspiring you every time you come to clean it though!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
Curzon
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 D3

Nice, like the ferric grey wheels. Was this from the Salisbury area? I am sure I have seen it around on a couple of occasions.

Personally I love the wood trim, let me know if you do ever sell, I have been keeping an eye out for a CIC set!
      08-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
Greg330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curzon
Nice, like the ferric grey wheels. Was this from the Salisbury area? I am sure I have seen it around on a couple of occasions.

Personally I love the wood trim, let me know if you do ever sell, I have been keeping an eye out for a CIC set!
Yes it was from the Salisbury area! If I do I will be sure to give you a shout!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
Greg330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99
Quote:
Looks like a great car - there is a LCI E91 335i Touring on the AUC site... must.not.enquire.

Quote:
Nice to know it helped make your colour choice!

You wont thank my car for inspiring you every time you come to clean it though!
You made me look no pictures though, I'm turning off all my searches I couldn't cope with something coming up now!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:24 AM   #15
ellz
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW - yet

Hi guys, been a reader for a while only just registered. I'm on the hunt for the elusive manual touring 335i. Pretty much given up now and settling for an auto.

I was also looking at this car for some time, mileage was the thing that put me off, but sure it'll be fine, I'm just being picky.
I've enquired about the one on the AUC site, although I'm not sure if this will have the N54 or N55 engine and I've read somewhere that only the very early LCI's have the N54 engine. Also not sure how I feel about the colour and price, seems a little spendy.

Anyone loving the motor on here and you'll no doubt see a little more of me once I've got one of my own.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #16
KJMotorsport
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellz View Post
Hi guys, been a reader for a while only just registered. I'm on the hunt for the elusive manual touring 335i. Pretty much given up now and settling for an auto.

I was also looking at this car for some time, mileage was the thing that put me off, but sure it'll be fine, I'm just being picky.
I've enquired about the one on the AUC site, although I'm not sure if this will have the N54 or N55 engine and I've read somewhere that only the very early LCI's have the N54 engine. Also not sure how I feel about the colour and price, seems a little spendy.

Anyone loving the motor on here and you'll no doubt see a little more of me once I've got one of my own.
Get the reg and type it in on the bmw warranty uk website, that will give you the VIN and from there find a VIN decoder online and it will tell you the spec!

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/BMW/Login/Index

&

http://bimmer.work/
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #17
ellz
Private
Rep

Ahh brilliant, thanks for that.

As thought, its a bloody N55. Not ideal - more waiting required it seems
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #18
Greg330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellz View Post
Ahh brilliant, thanks for that.

As thought, its a bloody N55. Not ideal - more waiting required it seems
The waiting is torture!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
ellz
Private
Rep

It is indeed. Especially when a guy at works house mate sold a manual touring which was in mint condition about 3 months ago. Just missed out .
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
ellz
Private
Rep

And just like that, a manual pops up. Viewing already arrange for tomorrow morning. Slightly high miles and not an LCI, so not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #21
Greg330
Major
Rep

A couple of weeks in and its great to have the N54 back in my life, even though it does 200 miles less on a tank. Cost to fill up is pretty much the same with V Power and a slightly smaller tank. I'm not complaining just need to get my head around it again as you get used to not going to the petrol station as much!!

The first job completed was to change the leaking headlight washer nozzle, not too bad a job but should have really haggled to get it factored into my purchase price but was too excited to drive it home...

I've also adjusted to life with an auto, would still prefer a manual but can live with it. I know once i have the M3 wheel it will get a whole lot more enjoyable. I have used the paddles but just can't really get on with them, it just doesn't feel right. I will rewire as an interim measure, hopefully have time this weekend.

Got plenty of other things to be doing aswell, but will leave them for further updates.

The final thing i will say is lucky next door are moving as if i see that cat sat on my roof one more time i will not be held responsible for my actions. Got paw prints up the bonnet and all over the roof. Why cant he just sit on his owners car roof?!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #22
Greg330
Major
Rep

A small update, finding time to spend on the car with work and a young family is proving challenging!

Anyway oil change and new wiper blades were fitted at the weekend, I do enjoy new wiper blades!

The rear screen tint had a hole in it and was very annoying, I was not sure what to do as most places said they could remove the old film but couldn’t guarantee the heater elements wouldn’t be damaged. I was looking at new glass and then thought I’ll just give it a go, I managed to pick away at a corner and to my delight it just started to peel off leaving very little residue behind. Took just 20mins and that included cleaning it all. Fresh tint has now been applied and looks much better.

I’ve tried to give it a bit of a detail but think its too far gone and will be booking it in for paint correction in the new year. That will give me a better base to work with and maintain.

Next up will be an upgrade to interior and exterior lights along with some black grilles.

Finally the wheel short list is down to four options, its proving harder than I thought to decide!!
Appreciate 0