E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Sunglass holder (replaces ashtray)

03-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #265
darkmcs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
I have a couple questions:

1. So if I purchase a 2011 335 sedan will this sunglass part fit? Tischer says its for 06-10. I'm assuming it will be the same?

2. I will have aluminum trim, will I need to order the aluminum cover when I order this part since the 2011 don't come with the aluminum cover. Do I need a separate part # for the cover? Or does the cover come with the sunglass holder part # above.

thanks
I'm in the same boat... 2010 335xi which didn't have any cover.

I just bought the ashtray assembly & tray, and the cover for "Glacier silver" finish. It cost me roughly $140 for the cover at the dealer...
2010 335i X-Drive: Black Sapphire, M-Tech package, Navigation, Steptronic, JB+, BMS DCI, H&R Sport springs, Bilstein shocks,TMS brake kit, TMS boost gauge, matte black kidney grille, Bimmian painted reflectors, Bimmian smoked LED side markers, shadow black "335xi" badge, iPod interface, OEM roof rack & bicycle mounts, 19" LC818 (f 8.5, r 10)-- 12.768 @ 108.88
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #266
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

If anyone wants to buy a sunglass holder, I have one from my old 2008 e90 that I am looking to sell. Please PM if interested.
      04-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #267
ikran
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

I am definitely interested in this MOD for my 2010 E90 LCI. Unfortunately, my car did not come with the smoker's package and has a small cubbyhole instead of the ash tray. I would like to replace it with the spectacle tray and the proper trim cover. The spectacle tray would keep my sunglasses away from view and keep dirt for accumulating in the cubbyhole.

Please let me know if anybody knows the part number for the Dark Burl Walnut trim cover. Do these instructions relate to a 2010 LCI with the cubbyhole?

Spectacles tray
part #51-16-7-132-376
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #268
darkmcs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikran View Post
I am definitely interested in this MOD for my 2010 E90 LCI. Unfortunately, my car did not come with the smoker's package and has a small cubbyhole instead of the ash tray. I would like to replace it with the spectacle tray and the proper trim cover. The spectacle tray would keep my sunglasses away from view and keep dirt for accumulating in the cubbyhole.

Please let me know if anybody knows the part number for the Dark Burl Walnut trim cover. Do these instructions relate to a 2010 LCI with the cubbyhole?

Spectacles tray
part #51-16-7-132-376
I just got the tray replaced with an ashtray...

Ask your dealer to find the lid part # based on your VIN. My dealer found mine easily and it costs $140 for the Glacier Silver aluminum finish (M-Tech package)
2010 335i X-Drive: Black Sapphire, M-Tech package, Navigation, Steptronic, JB+, BMS DCI, H&R Sport springs, Bilstein shocks,TMS brake kit, TMS boost gauge, matte black kidney grille, Bimmian painted reflectors, Bimmian smoked LED side markers, shadow black "335xi" badge, iPod interface, OEM roof rack & bicycle mounts, 19" LC818 (f 8.5, r 10)-- 12.768 @ 108.88
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #269
Krisbiker2
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93

Another answer to the sunglass holder- the Kia Picanto has one that fits in place of the drivers grab handle (on E60), probably will on other Beemers as well. With a little bit of reworking it will fit on the BMW mounting points- it costs a bit more, but I've had one that I have now moved from 3 cars so the cost is low over the years and also you keep the ashtray and lighter
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #270
Hazard83190
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI

Garage List
Yeah they should
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #271
Jack Olsen
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

The first time I sat down in the car, it seemed pretty obvious where they could go. I've never had them come loose.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #272
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
Awesome.

I want to know if these will fit in it:
It would be a tight fit if they would. The replacement isn't any deeper than the ashtray. It's just the same depth, but as wide as the ashtray and the lighter combined. I just completed this swap and it's as easy as can be!

Thanks to the OP for this DIY!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #273
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
I just did this on my 2011 E92 (non iDrive) Automatic, it took me about 20 minutes, nothing got broken, nothing had to be disconnected...

for me it was...
Start Car, shift into N, turn car off
1) open center console door
2) pull gently on the leather boot it, is held in with little clips around the edges it will pop right off with a tiny amount of tugging to one corner (any)
3) gently get your fingers under the larger black trim piece that holds the shift indicator that surrounds the boot, and it will easily pop up. just pull from under gently. its got two wires attached to it, just leave them.
4) Now get your fingers under the main trim, use a little more force here, from under, and i started from the back and worked forward, pull up on the wood center console trim
5) once the whole piece if off, orient geometrically the shifter trim piece (that has Drive indicator on it) through the hole as you move the main center console trim up and out.

now you'll be holding the trim piece in your hands and you didnt need to disconnect any wires.

turn it over remove the 4 torx screws, pop in the new sunglass holder with the door, tighten up, and go back to your car.

angle the front down under the AC controls, with the back end up, orient the shifter trim and boot back through the hole, push the center trim down, push the shifter trim down and finally push the leather boot trim back into place.

DONE!

the hardest part was listening to the car "gong" at me the entire time.

I do have one question... I found the center ashtray trim, and its "in the mail"... im hoping, since i already installed the tray, that i will be able to just snap the new trim piece on once it gets here without having to remove everything??

Last edited by B-737; 10-07-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #274
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

u guys should do the illuminated version. very easy and cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #275
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
i will answer my own question... do not rush and install the tray before you get the trim cause you cant install the trim with the tray installed

i got the trim piece today in the mail from CrazyDrummer and removed everything again, installed the tray door trim and replaced everything... i did it in about 10 minutes this time.

The car looks so much more finished, the way it should be. My 12 year old explorer has uncovered cubby holes in the center console, i would expect more from BMW...

I love the way it looks now!
thanks for the guide and thanks to crazydrummer for the trim!

Sunglasses tray part number i used was: "Sunglass Tray Replaces front ashtray" Part#: 51167132376

Last edited by B-737; 10-25-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #276
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

I just completed this DIY on my 07 e92. I Love it, perfect place for my phone, gum or glasses.

Super easy, installed the tray in 20 mins. The only holdup for me was the removal of the trim piece and getting it to reinstall. I have been very timid about pressure and fitment since breaking some clips that werent seated right in my old e46.

Added my own personal twist by recycling the old 12v outlet + led's from the original ashtray, moved the original harness adapter to the passenger side of the console and am in the process of relocating the 12v outlet to the oem location on 2010 model e92's.

I will post pics of the final product.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #277
billywu04
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535 GT, '14 X5 35d

Removing console on an automatic

I read through all 11 pages of posts in this thread and I really appreciate everyone's input over the past few years. Thank you! It was awesome and I was totally prepared to tackle this...except for one thing. I had a decent idea about how to remove the automatic's boot/trim, but I don't recall seeing any good pics about exactly how to do it. So, I figured I'd make a contribution...

First of all, if you do this with the car running, you DO NOT need to remove the shifter knob. The car needs to be running at any point when you need to switch between Park and Neutral. However, you should probably remove the shifter knob if you don't want to turn your car on during the procedure.

1. The car can be in Park or Neutral at this point - doesn't matter. With two fingers (or one, if you have big hands like I do), fish around in the bottom right corner of the boot leather until you feel the edge of the plastic trim. Hook your finger(s) beneath that and pull up with even pressure. You'll hear/feel a light click/pop. When you do, work your way around, and the same way you released the first corner, release the others.

2. Now, follow the steps you've read in this thread about removing the primary trim piece (opening the center console lid, then grabbing the trim from underneath of where the bottom of the shifter trim was and pulling firm and with steady pressure). You'll hear/feel a light click/pop, more than likely closest to the center console. Etc., etc.

3. Now, put the car in Neutral. You'll need the shifter knob straight so that you can maneuver the console trim around the shifter trim. Start at the angle I show in the pic and then let common sense guide you the rest of the way.

4. Booyah! Now get to work.

Oh yeah, here's a pic of the 5 tabs in the lid that everyone has mentioned. Be careful not to insert the screwdriver in too far or you risk breaking off the tab closest to the screwdriver.

P.S. It took me about 1.5 hours to do this, but that's because I decided to reuse the LEDs to make an illuminated sunglass holder. It probably added an hour to the whole project because I took my sweet time so I didn't mess anything up (for example, I decided to rip apart the cigarette lighter plug rather than cut any wires and rejoin them - see pic). I went with the front-lit, rather than the back-lit, approach. I think it looks good, but could look better. Oh well, I'm happy and it felt good to knock this one out.

Good luck!

2016 550i M Alpine White / Brown | M-Sport | Dinan Stage 1 | Errrthing
2014 X5 Alpine White / Black | Errrthing
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #278
troye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black E93

Sorry if this is redundant question...but will ask anyway
I have the open cubby tray instead of ashtray, I would really like a lid for the sunglasses cubby
1) Is there a part # for the lid? or do I need to order the sunglass tray and lid?

Last edited by troye; 03-27-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #279
gecko213
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 Space Gray 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by troye View Post
Sorry if this is redundant question...but will ask anyway
I have the open cubby tray instead of ashtray, I would really like a lid for the sunglasses cubby
1) Is there a part # for the lid? or do I need to order the sunglass tray and lid?
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #280
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
You can't just buy the lid. You need to order the entire assembly w closing lid and swap it out. About $25 and it's really easy. Then, the really tricky part, is finding the trim piece that snaps onto the lid. Its sold only as an entire set, but dig around. I found the trim cover by scouring this forum. another member here had a spare.

The mod is well worth it. I feel like it finishes the interior the way it should have been. The part number you need is listed in my write up a few posts above this one. Then ull need the trim cover.

Last edited by B-737; 04-17-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #281
AngryBirds07-328xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

broke the lid...

so i'm installing this sunglass tray now in my 07 e90...aaaand i snapped off the "wood" lid, separating it from the black piece to which it is supposed to attach. anyone happen to have a spare??? or does anyone know where i can find one??
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #282
Boltords
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Does the console just snap back into place... mines in there really tight.. feels like im going to break it when i pull up
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #283
khfactor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Does anyone want to sell their Smoker's ashtray and cigarette Lighter Assembly? I need 2nd power source for my Garmin....

My trim is "Dark Burl Walnut." Please PM me if you want to get rid of one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #284
bmwfanatic12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just did it, great write up and input! Went for the non-illuminated version.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #285
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

So, I did this today...

I had experience taking apart the center console, since I already hard wired my radar detector. I installed a new alcantara shift boot meanwhile, which had a stiff bracket, so uncliping it was a bit of a problem... but I got there... removed the center console, unscrewed the ashtray...

And then, I couldn't get the glacier silver finisher panel off! I tried using my screwdriver, both sides at once, then only one side, then sliding a credit card underneath... nothing was helping... until I heard a crack, and a tiny plastic piece came off. At that point, I decided to do things properly.

I advise everyone who can't get the trim panel off within 2 minutes to do what I did, and that is disassemble the whole ashtray, as posted in the lighted sunglass tray DIY. Once you disassemble the ashtray, remove the door, and then from underneath, use 1 screwdriver to push a clip out, and another screwdriver to push the trim panel away... once you'll be doing it, you'll understand, it's difficult to explain.

I broke off 1 clip in the process. To supplement, I decided to use some double sided tape to hold down the trim panel. This should help and be removable, should there be a need in the future.

I will install the sunglass tray tomorrow, I'm not expecting any major problems - should anything arise, I'll let you know.

Lastly, why does BMW use these clip-on things for panels? They could have used small screws just as well for the aluminum panel door. I will accept the fact clips will be used for the shifter boot, since it provides access to other parts of the vehicle, but on something like this... oh well. [/rant]
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #286
hksupreme2003
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 320i E90 JetBlack

Nice JOB!!!
Appreciate 0