E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335 vs CLK63 AMG

07-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by supLOL View Post
Or if by that time it comes here, the RS6 Avant!
RS7. Coming soon so no need to import!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Some very good advice here. Looks like the trends are tune, intake, downpipes and FMIC. I hadn't really ever heard/thought about the differential, but I'll definitely do some research. I'm also going to have to take a look at RS4/6 Avant's...for the family and all.

William - thanks for the advice and for saving me a hundred bucks. I won't have to see my therapist this week.

Tony - I didn't finish reading your story. It looked boring. Also, I don't think all questions are interpreted as being aggressive in the states, only aggressive questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

My car with mods below and I was able to pull a stock 2005 E55 from roll 60-110 by a car. From a stop I got a much better launch and pulled 3-4 cars and he could not make up any distance.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

What's an LMB?
      07-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
What's an LMB?
The color of the car. LeMans Blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
OP - I'd start with the tune. Most bang/buck.

Much obliged. I have more pics in the garage - http://www.e90post.com/forums/bpgara...o=view&id=6686

269's close up: http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...80751_1280.jpg
Great pics thanks for sharing I have the same color LMB and really like it...Notice depending upon the time of day/night how it varies?? I always drove Silvers.Grays & Whites but now hooked on the blue. Great job on the car really tasteful
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 and x1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Couldn't care any less about this topic so off topic i go.....Those 269's look amazing
I am selling my 269s if your interested
      07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
The color of the car. LeMans Blue.
Oh. Guess that wouldn't affect the performance.
      07-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie222 View Post
I am selling my 269s if your interested
Oh yes, this reminds me (for OP): lightweight forged wheels! Shaving weight there will definitely help in acceleration -AND- cornering.
      07-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #32
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Openflash tablet
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #33
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Really? You have a wife and children and this concerns you? Or by family did you mean parents and siblings?
I took your tone the same way that the OP did. You did come across as very condescending and judgemental. A few words go a long way depending on how the sentences are structured. It's great that the other member defended you by what HE has experienced from your posts but to the OP as well as myself reading your response... you kind of came off like a dick. Just being honest. From reading your posts after that I'm sure you are a great guy.

To the members asking the OP why he wants a more powerful car with a family or suggesting he should not mod his car because he has a family, I don't get that at all. The quintessential upscale family sedan like say an S Class Merc, 550i or A6/S6 come with plenty of horsepower and torque. I'm sure most of the people driving those have families too so how is him modifying his car to have similar levels of performance such a terrible thing as your posts elude to? The performance of his vehicle only becomes reckless like most vehicles will if he himself starts driving like an idiot and endangering himself and other drivers. A guy in a Prius almost killed a biker today when I was going to work because he was driving like an idiot.

To the OP, the guys that recommended mods, they were right on. I would suggest doing it in reverse though. FMIC, Down Pipes, DCI then your TUNE. That's after having a walnut blasting done, spark plugs changed and all other basic maintenance to ensure your car is in tip top shape before putting extra wear and tear on it by increasing boost levels. All mods I suggested prior to Tune will help with cooling and keeping engine temperatures low. But that's just my insight. Best of wishes with your modding bug and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #34
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMerrisK View Post
A guy in a Prius almost killed a biker today when I was going to work because he was driving like an idiot.
Oh Prius drivers. You make me so sad.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #35
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMerrisK
I took your tone the same way that the OP did. You did come across as very condescending and judgemental. A few words go a long way depending on how the sentences are structured. It's great that the other member defended you by what HE has experienced from your posts but to the OP as well as myself reading your response... you kind of came off like a dick. Just being honest. From reading your posts after that I'm sure you are a great guy.

To the members asking the OP why he wants a more powerful car with a family or suggesting he should not mod his car because he has a family, I don't get that at all. The quintessential upscale family sedan like say an S Class Merc, 550i or A6/S6 come with plenty of horsepower and torque. I'm sure most of the people driving those have families too so how is him modifying his car to have similar levels of performance such a terrible thing as your posts elude to? The performance of his vehicle only becomes reckless like most vehicles will if he himself starts driving like an idiot and endangering himself and other drivers. A guy in a Prius almost killed a biker today when I was going to work because he was driving like an idiot.

To the OP, the guys that recommended mods, they were right on. I would suggest doing it in reverse though. FMIC, Down Pipes, DCI then your TUNE. That's after having a walnut blasting done, spark plugs changed and all other basic maintenance to ensure your car is in tip top shape before putting extra wear and tear on it by increasing boost levels. All mods I suggested prior to Tune will help with cooling and keeping engine temperatures low. But that's just my insight. Best of wishes with your modding bug and good luck.
Thanks for that advice. I had some issues a few months ago with rough idle and misfiring so, long story short, the spark plugs, 3 coils, and all the injectors were replaced. When all that didn't completely solve the problem the dealership did a walnut shell carbon blast. The car now runs better than ever and I'm almost ready to start making performance upgrades.

I also appreciate your perspective on those comments. I may have overreacted a bit, but I really didn't come here to have my head shrunk by strangers who should probably focus on their own lives instead of offering unsolicited advice to others.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #36
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Seems like you guys find any reason to bitch at people.

A guy races on a public street and he's an idiot. Understood.

Now we're trashing people for NOT taking the bait? I see absolutely nothing wrong with what OP did or has said. If anything we should commend him for not endangering his family.
      07-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post

Now we're trashing people for NOT taking the bait? I see absolutely nothing wrong with what OP did or has said. If anything we should commend him for not endangering his family.
+1 Give the guy some slack. We're not all English majors here. Learn to give people the benefit of the doubt and dial down your sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
moorlander
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 x5, 2024 x3 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3er
So last night I was stopped at a red light on my way home from dinner. I didn't realize it at the time, but there was a CLK63 AMG lined up to my left. My guess is that it was an 07 or 08. When the light changed the guy punched it; tires screeching and all. I didn't bite because my family was in the car, but even if I was alone, why would I subject myself to this unfair fight? It's a bit like Sugar Ray Leonard fighting Muhammed Ali...They don't belong in the same ring.

In any case, my point in sharing this with you all is that it got me thinking about the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get into AMG territory, at least 0-60 wise. I'm not going to pull the trigger because of this one incident, but the mod bug has been slowly taking hold of thoughts and I'd like to be prepared when the thoughts turn into actions.

If you could put your response in the form of the manufacturer, name, and price of the part that'd be great. I'm think you could do it for a couple grand?
0-60 times are similar on the amg vs the 335 aren't they? (Roughly 5.0s) Maybe u thought u were at such a disadvantage because of the added weight of your wife and kids?

EDIT - now I see the AMG at 4.1s. That's quick!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #39
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
EDIT - now I see the AMG at 4.1s. That's quick!
The 335 needs a tune or just ignore the whole thing. Not much to add.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMerrisK View Post

I said wait and just get an AMG (or some other car faster than a stock 335i) when the time comes to replace the E90 because the OP's E90 is already headed toward its twilight and because I'm assuming the OP has a family of his own rather than only being a member of the one his parents started. There's likely nothing wrong the car; I'm sure it serves quite well as a functional, nice family car or daily driver. That's what it's pretty much good for as it ages, and there's nothing wrong about that. Our cars aren't exactly collectibles or something that special, so I wouldn't recommend putting money into one that's 5 or more years old just to make it be a bit faster. Also, as we all know, the 335i is a car that's prone to needing some costly repairs -- albeit one time repairs -- so spending good money to makei it faster, and then using that added power/speed, is more likely (though not guaranteed) to just hasten not delay the need for those repairs. Because a dollar now is worth more than a dollar later, staving off the need to fix the car makes sense.

I had a young family once too, and I recall that even having a very fine career/job at that point, as I'm sure the OP does, I had no trouble having plenty of things to spend that money on. (Only to provide perspective, 20 years ago when my first child came along, I was earning nearly $90K/year and I had a wife who also worked) I simply had so many uses for the money -- we were planning to have another child, they both were going to need college funds, paying off the mortgage sooner, along with just the regular stuff one needs to deal with as a part of life -- that making my already fast car a bit faster (in order to be more competitive in red light runs, as the OP, not I, offered) isn't something I'd have thought to be a good use of the money in the long run. Sure, I imagine we are talking about disposable income, and that's what that's for -- using it to buy stuff that makes one "happy" as it were. I personally would have, at that stage in my life, chosen to spend the money on, I don't know, something for the house, a vacation, jewelry for my then wife, a gardener to spruce up the yard, any number of things...So, knowing I want a faster car, I'd have just waited a while until it was time to buy a new car and just bought a faster car at that time.

I think it's safe to say the OP will likely buy another car at some point in the future, and he'll have even more disposable income at that time, and he'll have used the money to provide some of the niceties that will make family happier now. It's true too that there will invariably be a faster car sooner or later, regardless of what he does to his 335i. What will he do then, put more money into making his, by then, even older 335i?

On the other hand, were I a young, single guy, throwing money at the car is as good a way to spend one's disposable income as any other and so, why not? I'd say go for it in that case. Before I had a family, I was once a single, young man and I won and lost more than a few red light runs at that stage in my life. I don't think, now, that red light runs are a wise thing to do, but I know that doing it is a normal thing that young adults will do. It (or stuff like it) is part of living that stage of life.

Regardless of whether the OP wants to do red light runs while having a family, it's not my place to laud or castigate him for his choice. In the case of improving a one's competitive edge in red light runs, I honestly believe that the best approach varies depending one's life situation.

FWIW, I don't do red light runs now, not because I don't still feel a little competitive thing from time to time, but because I don't want to put my family at risk by risking unnecessarily my own safety. But that's my choice; everyone else has to decide for themselves what risks are acceptable. I can certainly live with whatever risk others choose to impose on their families so long as it has no affect on mine. And yes, I know the risk isn't all that high, but fatality or permanent bodily impairment are potential outcomes from a situation that, unlike for example, walking down a street whereupon one could be hit by a bus or a driver who accidentally lost control during his red light run , it is fully within one's own ability to avoid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 07-21-2013 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: completed an unfinish thought in paragraph one and corrected some grammar throughout
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #41
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3er View Post
Some very good advice here. Looks like the trends are tune, intake, downpipes and FMIC. I hadn't really ever heard/thought about the differential, but I'll definitely do some research. I'm also going to have to take a look at RS4/6 Avant's...for the family and all.

William - thanks for the advice and for saving me a hundred bucks. I won't have to see my therapist this week.

Tony - I didn't finish reading your story. It looked boring. Also, I don't think all questions are interpreted as being aggressive in the states, only aggressive questions.
My bill is much more than $100. Check your mailbox!

Its all good though. IMO this forum can serve several purposes. Only one of those is to help the OP. If my motivation to post here was affect by the immature attitudes of many members, then I would not post.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #42
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post

What thread are you reading? None of the adults have trashed anyone. A post was made that was blown WAY out of proportion and the discussion went from nice and friendly to all out war, at least on one side. That is not nice and not helpful.

As to the purpose of this thread, lets not forget the simple fact that the OP opened the door for someone to make a comment about who was in the car. The OP could have easily left that part out and simply said "I was at a stop light with an AMG and decided not to race because I was outgunned", or something like that. He did not do that. HE made mention of who was in the car and this fact made it totally on topic and appropriate to comment on the situation described.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #43
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Kinda off topic, but that's one of my favorite cars. The black series, at least.

Super rare. I saw one once in Philly. Only something like 300 produced. Jeremy Clarkson has one, too.

Badass car, indeed.
      07-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #44
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I said wait and just get an AMG (or some other car faster than a stock 335i) when the time comes to replace the E90 because the OP's E90 is already headed toward its twilight and because I'm assuming the OP has a family of his own rather than only being a member of the one his parents started. There's likely nothing wrong the car; I'm sure it serves quite well as a functional, nice family car or daily driver. That's what it's pretty much good for as it ages, and there's nothing wrong about that. Our cars aren't exactly collectibles or something that special, so I wouldn't recommend putting money into one that's 5 or more years old just to make it be a bit faster. Also, as we all know, the 335i is a car that's prone to needing some costly repairs -- albeit one time repairs -- so spending good money to makei it faster, and then using that added power/speed, is more likely (though not guaranteed) to just hasten not delay the need for those repairs. Because a dollar now is worth more than a dollar later, staving off the need to fix the car makes sense.

I had a young family once too, and I recall that even having a very fine career/job at that point, as I'm sure the OP does, I had no trouble having plenty of things to spend that money on. (Only to provide perspective, 20 years ago when my first child came along, I was earning nearly $90K/year and I had a wife who also worked) I simply had so many uses for the money -- we were planning to have another child, they both were going to need college funds, paying off the mortgage sooner, along with just the regular stuff one needs to deal with as a part of life -- that making my already fast car a bit faster (in order to be more competitive in red light runs, as the OP, not I, offered) isn't something I'd have thought to be a good use of the money in the long run. Sure, I imagine we are talking about disposable income, and that's what that's for -- using it to buy stuff that makes one "happy" as it were. I personally would have, at that stage in my life, chosen to spend the money on, I don't know, something for the house, a vacation, jewelry for my then wife, a gardener to spruce up the yard, any number of things...So, knowing I want a faster car, I'd have just waited a while until it was time to buy a new car and just bought a faster car at that time.

I think it's safe to say the OP will likely buy another car at some point in the future, and he'll have even more disposable income at that time, and he'll have used the money to provide some of the niceties that will make family happier now. It's true too that there will invariably be a faster car sooner or later, regardless of what he does to his 335i. What will he do then, put more money into making his, by then, even older 335i?

On the other hand, were I a young, single guy, throwing money at the car is as good a way to spend one's disposable income as any other and so, why not? I'd say go for it in that case. Before I had a family, I was once a single, young man and I won and lost more than a few red light runs at that stage in my life. I don't think, now, that red light runs are a wise thing to do, but I know that doing it is a normal thing that young adults will do. It (or stuff like it) is part of living that stage of life.

Regardless of whether the OP wants to do red light runs while having a family, it's not my place to laud or castigate him for his choice. In the case of improving a one's competitive edge in red light runs, I honestly believe that the best approach varies depending one's life situation.

FWIW, I don't do red light runs now, not because I don't still feel a little competitive thing from time to time, but because I don't want to put my family at risk by risking unnecessarily my own safety. But that's my choice; everyone else has to decide for themselves what risks are acceptable. I can certainly live with whatever risk others choose to impose on their families so long as it has no affect on mine. And yes, I know the risk isn't all that high, but fatality or permanent bodily impairment are potential outcomes from a situation that, unlike for example, walking down a street whereupon one could be hit by a bus or a driver who accidentally lost control during his red light run , it is fully within one's own ability to avoid.
Appreciate 0