E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Questions (lowering and tires)

09-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Suspension Questions (lowering and tires)

I just wanted to know if its normal the front end of my 335i sits equal or higher than the rear? If I lower the car it seems I may need more in the front than rear to level out.

My second question is what kind of drop does the bmw sport springs drop?

Can anyone tell me if I have sport suspension? I have included a pic of my car to see if it looks like I might as I am unsure.

I also want to calibrate my speedometer for 18's as I currently have 17's and I do NOT want to compensate by getting shorter tires. I want meaty tires.

Thanks guys for all the help. I love the boards and my new bimmer!
Attached Images

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Google BMW vin and there is a site you can plug your vin into and it will tell you your options. Hard to say with your pic.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '18 X1, '21 M2C

Garage List
If you have an X-drive then "no" you do not have sports suspension. All xDrive vehicles have standard, non-sport suspension regardless if you have the Sport Package or M Sport Package.

Also, you do not need to recalibrate your speedo as long as you stay within OEM spec. You can go to tirerack.com and use their online tool, or the tool in this forum to figure out the size to remain within OEM spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinchboy
If you have an X-drive then "no" you do not have sports suspension. All xDrive vehicles have standard, non-sport suspension regardless if you have the Sport Package or M Sport Package.
What's the lowering amount if I get sport or m?

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Also, you do not need to recalibrate your speedo as long as you stay within OEM spec. You can go to tirerack.com and use their online tool, or the tool in this forum to figure out the size to remain within OEM spec.
I understand the part about the tire spec but what if I want fatter tires? I have 225/45/17 right now. In order to stay in spec I would need 235/40/18. I want to keep the 45 tire height unless I decide for 255/40/18.

Is there no way to Calibrate?

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '18 X1, '21 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
Again, depending on your drivetrain and how your car is equipped. For xDrive it will be more significant than non-xDrive. Also depending on what ZSP springs you get, e.g. D#. If you have more questions on BMW sport spring, do a search and you will find lots of threads on this topic. Also, actual M springs do not fit standard 3 series. M Sport is an option package for non-M vehicles. Lastly, you can also use HR, Eibach, Dinan, or BWM Performance as lowering springs. All this information can be found in the forum. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Again, depending on your drivetrain and how your car is equipped. For xDrive it will be more significant than non-xDrive. Also depending on what ZSP springs you get, e.g. D#. If you have more questions on BMW sport spring, do a search and you will find lots of threads on this topic. Also, actual M springs do not fit standard 3 series. M Sport is an option package for non-M vehicles. Lastly, you can also use HR, Eibach, Dinan, or BWM Performance as lowering springs. All this information can be found in the forum. Good luck.
I wonder why Xdrive has higher stance and secondary cats it makes no sense lol

Thanks for all your help. I want a smooth soft ride like the car is right now. Just a bit lower. I don't like h&r as I have it them on my mustang and they are very stiff and harsh.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
I wonder why Xdrive has higher stance and secondary cats it makes no sense lol
All 335i have secondary cats from the factory. This is not specific to X-drive. How did you come up with this conclusion?
      09-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

A couple things I would like to throw into the discussion:

1) You have an AWD car so your front end will be slightly higher than the rear of your car, that is just how the AWDs are built.

2) Going from 17s to 18s is not that big of a difference (moving from 45 to 40 series). There is a pretty noticeable jump between 18 and 19s so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

3) You can't 'calibrate' your speedo to a certain size tire. You can go in the 'tire section' of this forum and calculate what the difference would read on your speedo according to your different size tires.

4) 255/40-18 will most likely not fit on the front unless you roll your fenders. 255 is the max you can go with stock fenders up front.

5) This might be a no brainer but keep all the tire sizes the same on all four corners because you have AWD.

Welcome to the forum and hope this helped somewhat!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
A couple things I would like to throw into the discussion:

1) You have an AWD car so your front end will be slightly higher than the rear of your car, that is just how the AWDs are built.

2) Going from 17s to 18s is not that big of a difference (moving from 45 to 40 series). There is a pretty noticeable jump between 18 and 19s so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

3) You can't 'calibrate' your speedo to a certain size tire. You can go in the 'tire section' of this forum and calculate what the difference would read on your speedo according to your different size tires.

4) 255/40-18 will most likely not fit on the front unless you roll your fenders. 255 is the max you can go with stock fenders up front.

5) This might be a no brainer but keep all the tire sizes the same on all four corners because you have AWD.

Welcome to the forum and hope this helped somewhat!

-Mike
On every car that I have I'm able to calibrate the speedometer the dealership does this as well because cars, different size wheels.

I just wish this was an option.

Also is there a lowering spring the will do say 1.25 lower in front and .75 in rear?

Appreciate 0