E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > A little help ...

08-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
335xiMTL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Competition

A little help ...

This was posted in the wrong section to begin with, so in advance, id like to appologize for the repost ... just lookin' to get a little bit of help

Hello to all members ...
Haven't formally introduced myself as I was going to do so once I took delivery of my e92 335xi

Originally, I was going to go ahead and customize my coupe, however, the wait was wayyy too long given that I would have had to wait for the '09 model. So, as an alternative, my dealer suggested me to take what was already sent to production or whatever was on the lot. To make a long story short, I found the one I wanted and my dealer told me i'd be taking delivery early august ( i understood that this was an estimation and in my mind gave myself at least a 2 week cushion ) ...

I called BMW today and decided to see where they stood in the process. Anticipating good news like "Sir, your car is on a boat and on its way..." I get "Its on order, hasnt been sent to production yet ..." So now im waiting for this puppy and I was hoping you guys could answer some of my questions ...

Do you guys know when the deadline is to finish building all '08's given that they have to close for vacation and re-tooling for sept. builds ?

Approx. how long does it take for it to be shipped from the factory to the canadian border ( yes, im a canadian, from Montreal and hopefully im not in the wrong for posting here and not on the canadian boards... dont flame me i come in peace ! )

Thanks for the help boys ( and girls, for the couple that I did notice on the boards hehe ) ...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
I think you've been sold a bill of goods. First, the BMW factory(ies) are all closed for the whole month of August as they retool. Secondly, I've been told that all 08 order allocations were exhausted as of the middle of July.

Now, your dealer could have allocated you an 08 that was already in production, but did he give you a production number? A VIN number? If you don't have that information and you've been told your car hasn't begun production yet, it's going to be an 09...

I don't have any inside info or anything, I'm just saying all this based on what I've been told and what I've read. I'd be really interested to see if there are any 08's still bound for the production line come September.
      08-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
LionRampant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E90

Garage List
2009 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiMTL View Post
Do you guys know when the deadline is to finish building all '08's given that they have to close for vacation and re-tooling for sept. builds ?
When I visited the local dealership here on July 29th to place my order for a 2009 model, I was told that ordering of MY 2008 custom builds had been closed for two weeks. On August 8th, the only production listed on their order tracking sheet was for MY 2009s. As you seem to have found the car you were seeking already queued for production, I would expect that it would have been built in the last two weeks of July as 2008 model production finished up.

I would advise you to contact your CA and find out what is going on--whether your 2008 order was bumped to a 2009 (though I cannot imagine they would do that without your assent), or whether you did manage to get a member of the last production runs of 2008 models and it is merely in transit to you. Get the production number and VIN to allow you to track it through the process. It may be that the person you spoke to this time confused your order with another, or was simply misinformed.

--LR
      08-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
335xiMTL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Competition

Thanks for the replies guys ! I appreciate it !

As far as it being one of the last '08's in production, it is. I have a production number -- 8694616.

I know it definately isn't an '09 because my CA and I had arrangements had that been the situation... ( different color choices + options )

My car isn't in transit, nor do I believe it has been made. However, I called in this morning and they tell me its "planned for production -- its on order "

What does that mean ? I thought the factory was closed for vacation and retooling ... ?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiMTL View Post
Thanks for the replies guys ! I appreciate it !

As far as it being one of the last '08's in production, it is. I have a production number -- 8694616.

I know it definately isn't an '09 because my CA and I had arrangements had that been the situation... ( different color choices + options )

My car isn't in transit, nor do I believe it has been made. However, I called in this morning and they tell me its "planned for production -- its on order "

What does that mean ? I thought the factory was closed for vacation and retooling ... ?!?
Too bad you're in Canada, otherwise you could use the BMW Owner's Circle to check on the status of your car. I have no idea what "planned for production" means other than the obvious - that it hasn't hit the production line yet. The only other thing it could mean is that the factory hasn't updated its status since they're closed and the next status you get is "awaiting transport."

Since you have a production number, you should also have a production week. Again, it doesn't make sense that it's still marked as planned. I would call your dealer back and get to the bottom of this. All of it just doesn't make any sense at all. They should be able to dig up more information from BMWNA.

You're right, the factory is currently closed and will no re-open until September. All in all, a very confusing situation for you. Please let me know how it turns out, I'm very curious to see if you're actually getting an 08.
      08-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
hkwallace328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X5 4.8I

I got a production number for an 09, but no production week yet. In canada, you don't get production week until your car is given a VIN.

Try phone bmw canada and ask about it.
Appreciate 0