E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335i Rear Caliper Rebuild

05-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
McLeanSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe Sport

335i Rear Caliper Rebuild

After finally getting my rocker cover gasket fixed the cars been used a whole twice and I gots a real bad sticky piston. 90,000 miles on it, what can you expect.

Has anyone done, or are there any DIY's of how to, rebuild the rear calipers? I've never rebuilt a caliper before but I am relatively handy and have a good selection of tools.

Cheers guys! I did try searching but couldn't find anything on YouTube or here.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeanSC View Post
After finally getting my rocker cover gasket fixed the cars been used a whole twice and I gots a real bad sticky piston. 90,000 miles on it, what can you expect.

Has anyone done, or are there any DIY's of how to, rebuild the rear calipers? I've never rebuilt a caliper before but I am relatively handy and have a good selection of tools.

Cheers guys! I did try searching but couldn't find anything on YouTube or here.
I don't have any specific information to your application, however having rebuilt several different types of calipers on older Benz and BMWs I can say that it's not necessarily difficult. You can find caliper rebuild videos all over youtube that highlight the basics. Most single piston caliper designs follow a similar logic. There will obviously be slight differences between manufacturers but the gist of the rebuild will be basically the same. I will say that fixed calipers are much easier to rebuild since the body comes apart, but none of them are beyond the scope of a handy person with good tools. Just make sure to do it in a clean environment. Compressed air is extremely helpful for getting the pistons out, just make sure not to launch the piston across the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
labrador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Yes I do not think your model year has electronic parking brake, so the traditional c-clamp should work.

Plug the hose and do not let it run dry, or you might have problem bleeding the ABS unit. Keep thing clean and use NO petroleum solvents on rubber parts.

Walmart has DOT 4 brake fluid, $6 a quart. Use it as lube.

Helps to have a mechanically inclined friend to help out if you are not familiar,

Torque things to spec.
Appreciate 0