E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > csb - Ignition Coil Failure at 32k

07-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
csb - Ignition Coil Failure at 32k

Sup guys,

Been out of the loop for a minute, but wanted to share a 'cool story bro' with the forum, mostly as a data point. Surprisingly, I've had an ignition coil fail. I suppose the car is about 5 years old but I'm still surprised with such low miles. Ignition coils seem to die pretty frequently, eh? I thought it was more of a problem on turbo cars but apparently not.

Annoyingly, there is apparently a $50 'deductible' associated with CPO warranty repairs. Ugh, that is seriously sad - my gf's Mazda doesn't even have that ish. But happily the good guy dealership is going to replace all 6 coils for me since, as you know, when one goes, it's only a short matter of time on the others, typically.

They are not replacing the spark plugs, though - saying they looked OK. Thoughts?

This came about as I was pulling along side a nice BMW motorrad on the highway - going about 60 mph in 6th gear - and decided to give her some throttle to share the sound of our people. Instead of that glorious L6 sound and a bit of modest acceleration, I was greeted with more of a subtle 'anti-lag' bursting and zero acceleration lol. I replicated the phenomena out of curiosity until the CEL/SES finally came on - then went back away a few miles later as I babied her to the dealer. I figured it was nothing major, and after a search here I was convinced it was the coils. Dealer concurred after a scan.

Cheers,
aM
      07-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

$50 isn't bad, I think each coil costs $30 or somewhere around that.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Your plugs should be fine. Mine looked good at 65k when i replaced my coils and plugs.

$50 deductible for the job isn't too bad. BMW will charge $75 each or something for the coils plus labor.
      07-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Cool. Read something on here about failing coils fouling plugs, but didn't know if there was any fact to support that.

Yeah, I mean $50 isn't too bad, but I just feel a deductible on a warranty is pretty greasy. I think people should stand behind their work/product.
      07-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Annoyingly, there is apparently a $50 'deductible' associated with CPO warranty repairs. Ugh, that is seriously sad - my gf's Mazda doesn't even have that ish. But happily the good guy dealership is going to replace all 6 coils for me since, as you know, when one goes, it's only a short matter of time on the others, typically.
I disagree with this. There's no reasonable proof that any or all the other coils will fail because one did. Of course, since you have a CPO, and it will cost $50 to replace one coil anyway, you may as well let them do them all.

As far as the plugs, at your miles they should be fine. It does seem silly to not replace them I guess, but IMO it's also silly to pay a shop to change spark plugs, unless you've got a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's not that I think they cause each other to fail (the coils), but I feel that, if one is failing, it's likely due to age/use.. not manufacturing defect.. so it's likely that the others are on their way out, as well, for the same reason (wear). This has been my experience in the past - typically one fails.. then a few months down the line another, and so on.

I mean yeah, if I was paying out of my pocket, I'd replace one at a time, and then keep a spare in the trunk. Why not, right? Why replace something that is working? I haven't done this job myself on the Bimmer yet, but on my GTI it took literally 5 minutes or less, and could be done on the side of the road (hence the parts in the trunk ). But if BMW is fronting the bill, it's a no-brainer to push for all 6 at once, ESPECIALLY w/this silly deductible.

If I had to take the car to BMW 3 times in a year for 3 different coil failures, it would cost me more in deductibles than to replace them myself - not to mention the time savings that could be had. Every time I need to have a mechanic work on my car, it practically puts me into a nervous tail-spin. I'm already thinking about the time it will take me to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb when I get it back. I almost always find something they've done wrong, re-attached incorrectly, a new dent, etc. etc. I just don't trust people, IMO with damn good reason. Yes, 'I' make my life very difficult. OCD and anxiety are oh so fun.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 07-24-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0