E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Beck Arnley Oil Separator kit - any experience?

07-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
ktm137
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Beck Arnley Oil Separator kit - any experience?

Hi,

Car: 2006 330i with almost 190,000 miles.

I need to replace my small DISA valve (2AAC code), and in reading the R&R of the intake manifold, I expect to find brittle hoses on the oil separator.

I see this item:

http://www.beckarnley.com/find-my-pa...l?part=0450409

On Amazon/Rock Auto/Ebay/etc. for around $170.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with this kit?

Thanks,
Kevin
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

That kit has more than needed, and I don't have experience with it.

The hoses that are likely to break are these during a manifold removal (for silver cover N52 like your 330i):

BMW p/n 11157522931 (breather hose from valve cover to oil separator)
BMW p/n 11157567801 (oil return valve from oil separator to oil pan)

At that mileage it would be very wise to replace the oil separator itself once manifold is out:
BMW p/n 11617531423

At that age and mileage, it most probably not closing well and causing oil usage more than usual (letting oil vapors into the engine from manifold). Or diaphragm on it is torn and causing vacuum leaks.

You can find the exact part numbers yourself from www.realoem.com for your exact built date (built date is printed on the driver side door jamb sticker). Very early E90's had somewhat different manifold and some hoses where different.
Once you have the part numbers, then can shop around for the parts.

I had bought a 3rd party breather hose from valve cover, and it was longer than original. I would rather had paid the extra and got the OEM.

Beck Arnley could be OEM, could be not. They usually are good quality when I had used from my other brand cars, sometimes even OEM. This is the first time I am hearing Beck Arnley part for E90 BMW.

If your original starter has not been replaced, and if you have been feeling weak starter, especially while starting hot engine, you really may consider replacing the starter too while there. The ELO Bosch is the OEM starter. You need a new starter bolt set too (aluminum) if you decide to replace the starter. E-torx wrench (not socket) will be required for those bolts, unless you have very short sockets. My e-torx sockets didn't fit at the starter bolts with limited space.
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50
      07-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
ktm137
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Thanks @PhaseP!

Lots of good info here - particularly about the earlier build (mine is 06/05).

I'll research the parts and order.

My starter is fine currently - but a good idea to verify. I'll leave it as is for now. At least I'll know how to get at it if/when it starts to act up.

Thanks again - appreciated!

Kevin M.
'06 330i 6m
Appreciate 0