E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Problem: 335i acceleration cuts out for <1 sec mid-gear, resulting in jolt

02-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #67
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Following. I am having the same issues, and am trying to get an idea of what to expect before I take the car to the dealer.
New turbos, new coils and plugs, carbon removal, and I think it's worse.
Stock car, JB4, map 2, usually cuts out in 2nd gear, even half throttle.
Turn off JB4, it's still there but not as harsh.
No codes thrown.
I have no idea what to tell my dealer, other than my symptoms!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 02:15 AM   #68
tdli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335I

Also have the same issue here. Happens more when weather is warmer out (above 65) and jolt happens much less when weather is cooler. Sometimes car will shut off at stop signs or if I stop at a light, RPM will fluctuate. Car throws no codes.

2007, JB4, map 5, BMS DCI, replaced LPFP and DMTL has error code for leakage. I originally suspected it was fuel related, but now it seems like it is more of an electrical issue? My battery is almost 4 years old.
      05-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #69
major330i
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i e93 n53

Hey i‘m Fighting the same problem on my e93 330i with n53 Engine.

I have replaced fuel pump (in tank), fuel filter (in tank), HPFP, low pressure sensor, all Injectors (Index 11 now), all coils, all soark plugs, all lambda probes,
Both camshaft sensors and also the ekps module (+coding).

I have light rpm drops and hesitation in accelaration at low rpm and a heavy rpm drop if suddenly accelarate hard while the rpm is about 1000-1500.

I wonder if it might be an battery issue. The voltage of my battery is very low (below 12 V) when only the ignition is on (engine not running).

Next step will be to change the battery and get it coded.

Also thinking about changing the crankshaft sensor and both DISA in the intake manifold.

Hope we manage to solve this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #70
piterson335
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Same issue here with my 07 335xi with MHD stage 2. It feels like the car hits a wall at around 4-5k rpm and then continues like nothing happened in half of a second. It doesn't happen on a stock map so my guess is the higher boost + clogged intake could be causing this. I also replaced my exhaust vanos solenoid with the 'dorman' aftermarket one, not sure if it can fail under load. No codes or lights, so I doubt this can be an issue. Will be cleaning intake valves soon and report back. I also came across a video on YouTube where the guy had to top up transmission fluid dealing with 'hasitation' issue. Planning on checking atf level as well. If anyone gets this resolved please post an update as this issue is driving me crazy.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #71
piterson335
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Quick update here. Turned out that transmission fluid was low. The shop said they added about 1 liter. No issues so far.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #72
Piet Africa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i e90 m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by piterson335 View Post
Quick update here. Turned out that transmission fluid was low. The shop said they added about 1 liter. No issues so far.
Did this sort you out? I have the same issue on my 335i auto. No codes and feels like a total ignition shutdown for a split second 3 to 5 times or until I let off the Throttle. Does exactly what the OP described. I noticed that it occurs more when engine it really hot, but it may be because i never punch it hard when not fully on operating temps, then it does a few pulls with ease and when it does it once it does it with every WOT afterwards when WOT and always above 4500rpm. Car is still stock and 70k miles on.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #73
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Stupid question but are you people completely turning off your traction? I have the same issue when traction is enabled. One turned off it's a spin fest without hiccups
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #74
Piet Africa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i e90 m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Stupid question but are you people completely turning off your traction? I have the same issue when traction is enabled. One turned off it's a spin fest without hiccups
Yep TC totaly off.. it does a few pulls well, first time it happened to me was mid powerslide, Felt like I broke a diff!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:32 PM   #75
Vt335iguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

Hi,

I too have this problem and its driving me nuts. Updated firmware on JB4 last night and it went away for a run cycle and then came back strong as ever today. I have done new coils and am about to replace vans tomorrow.

My logs show a throttle drop at about 4000 rpm.

Did anyone resolve this?

Thanks,

Liam
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #76
jwebs22
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Hey all,

I have the same issue, drops power and then comes back a second later, so many options out there to check, is there anyone who found something for sure? No codes being thrown.

Seeing possibilities of low trans fluid, Vanos need cleaning, plugs and packs need to be changed, walnut blast the intake, ect.

Installed: JB4, COI, Charge pipe and BOV, new plugs and coil packs.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #77
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT black on red

Hey guys.. sorry to revive an old thread but i started having a similar issue
Car is an 08 335i MT
FBO. Intercooler charge pipe HKS BOV catless DP custom free flow exhaust running MHD 2+ on 98 octane pushing 390whp.
New coils and plugs
The car jolts for a split second on WOT
I can replicate it lets say if im on 3rd gear at 2500 RPM and foor it.. it will start to pull nd at around 3500 4000 RPM it will jolt and continue like normal...i logged on a dyno and could replicate it and the chart shows sudden dron of power and fuel cutoff...
No codes whatsoever even after repeated pulls.
The only problem with my car is i have old index injectors.. which i haven't changed because they haven't given me any priblems... car idles smooth pulls like a freight train
My.mechanic is baffled cause we can't force a code to register... bmw dealer wants to replace a ton of parts just to be safe (lpfp. Hpfp. Throttle body. Coils plugs and injectors) which comes with a hefty bill which will be almost the cars worth.
Any advice
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #78
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I experienced this with mine back in 2016. It wound up being the injectors; I had shorted them out while washing the engine with the ignition cover removed. $800 later (pricing back then) and the car has never had a fault since.
      04-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #79
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
I experienced this with mine back in 2016. It wound up being the injectors; I had shorted them out while washing the engine with the ignition cover removed. $800 later (pricing back then) and the car has never had a fault since.
But wouldn't a fault in the injectors register a code... misfire... rough idle... limp kode... high fuel consumption etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #80
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania335i View Post
But wouldn't a fault in the injectors register a code... misfire... rough idle... limp kode... high fuel consumption etc?
Only fault I had was misfire, injector/fuel deactivation codes. But they rarely came up again after clearing.
      04-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #81
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Only fault I had was misfire, injector/fuel deactivation codes. But they rarely came up again after clearing.
The weird thing is my car isn't registering any codes... after 2 months now.. with the cut off hsppening several times a day... no code.... no shadow codes either... smooth running values are within norms... it's really frustrating... i want to fix it but without changing every valve .... pump... hose... injectors.... i mean the dealer wants yo change

1.. both boost solenoids
2.. throttle body
3 6 injectors
4.. 6 coils
5. Plugs
6. Hpfp

I mean come on...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #82
Warishuku
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 08 Nissan 350Z 03

Quote:
The weird thing is my car isn't registering any codes... after 2 months now.. with the cut off hsppening several times a day... no code.... no shadow codes either... smooth running values are within norms... it's really frustrating... i want to fix it but without changing every valve .... pump... hose... injectors.... i mean the dealer wants yo change

1.. both boost solenoids
2.. throttle body
3 6 injectors
4.. 6 coils
5. Plugs
6. Hpfp

I mean come on...
Do you have already any logs from your car? maybe that could point to a narrower list of potential culprits.

Mine normally gets "stuck" at 3500-4000 rpm at WOT, but it never gets higher than that. In my case is a fuel pressure issue (detected by logging).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #83
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warishuku View Post
Do you have already any logs from your car? maybe that could point to a narrower list of potential culprits.

Mine normally gets "stuck" at 3500-4000 rpm at WOT, but it never gets higher than that. In my case is a fuel pressure issue (detected by logging).
Don't have any logs .. and don't know how... if i take it to a dyno will they be able to log?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #84
jaydieu
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Quote:

1.. both boost solenoids
2.. throttle body
3 6 injectors
4.. 6 coils
5. Plugs
6. Hpfp

I mean come on...

Quote:
Quote:

1.. both boost solenoids
2.. throttle body
3 6 injectors
4.. 6 coils
5. Plugs
6. Hpfp

I mean come on...

We're you able to figure out this issue? I'm dealing with something very similar
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #85
OG83
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport touring F31 2016

Hi - first time joining any kind of forum so apologies in advance if I break any protocols or etiquette!

I’ve just bought a F31 330i M Sport touring - manual - 2016 with 77k - one owner - full BMW main dealer service history.

I’ve had it a couple of weeks now. I live in London so haven’t had many occasions to take it past 4000rpm. When I have deployed WOT I’ve noticed similar issues posted on here.

There is a 1 second cut off in the throttle at around 5000rpm when changing from up from 2nd to 3rd and again from 3rd to 4th.

I’ve had the spark plugs changed and the garage I bought it from are changing the coil packs next week.

He’s plugged it in and there are no error codes whatsoever. Car seems immaculate.

I’ve also felt like when I first get to 4th gear - there can also be that 1 second cut in throttle power.

This only happens when I floor it. It drives superbly otherwise and I’m very happy with it.

I bought from RCC in London. The guy Pres seemed to really know his BMW’s and is totally perplexed by this issue. He has tried to suggest its an engine safety thing but it doesn’t happen every time and I just don’t buy that.

I’d love to know if anyone found a definitive answer to what causes this issue and more importantly how to fix it!

Cheers,
Oli
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #86
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...no etiquette breaches here...except you’ve posted in the e90 section and considering you have a late model UK spec model you’d probably get better responses on the F30 section of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #87
OG83
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport touring F31 2016

Thanks pal! I’ve tried an F30 chat, seems to be more common with E90s but a couple of people there have had similar issues...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 11:45 AM   #88
Bmwskills79
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ford fusion, Chevy tahoe

Exclamation Crankshaft sensor causing engine to shut off for <sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
Hi all,
My vehicle:
Recently purchased CPO 2008 335i steptronic with no modifications and 58k miles.

Problem description:
On two occasions within the past month, my engine has "cut out" for a split second when accelerating under wide open throttle. The car will be accelerating fine around 5000 RPM, then will suddenly lose all engine power (not electrical, iDrive and dash are unaffected), then resume accelerating at full force less than a second later, resulting in quite the jolt and a drop in RPMs.

Supplemental information:
  • No lights are visible in dash during power loss (DTC is not flashing).
  • This is in the near the top of a gear (but not during a shift).
  • I cannot recall if I was in DS (sport mode) or not, but I was definitely not in steptronic (manual) mode.
  • I have not read codes yet, but I do not have check engine or any warning lights.

Research:
I searched extensively and found the following posts which describe the same issue (though they're on different or modified cars):

Has anyone else seen and/or resolved this problem?

The only suggestion reported as successful is replacing the fuel filter. Can anyone attest or refute this solution? Does anyone have other suggestions?

Please let me know if I can provide additional information. I appreciate your help and value your time!

Update: A number of people have reported similar problems and a variety of causes:

Others have reported, but not fixed:

I had the same concern on a 2008 335XI. The tach would blip and then come right back. I noticed the voltage PID of the DME and JBE2 would drop to 12.0volts for a few seconds and then come back up to normal charging voltage. After replacing fuel pump, coils, alternator, spark plugs, DME relay I found crankshaft sensor was causing the concern. After replacing crankshaft sensor, vehicle operates normally.

I hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0