E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > e90 LCI headlights leveling and cornering problem

02-28-2023, 04:09 AM   #1
alex3334
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E34, BMW E39, BMW E90

e90 LCI headlights leveling and cornering problem

Hello! I'm looking for a little help with troubleshooting my headlights leveling and SMC module problem. I bought my e90 LCI few months ago and lately I noticed that my xenon headlights are not leveling on start nor the cornering is working. I asked seller and he told me that cornering lights function worked fine when he used the car.
So here's what I already did and some of my clues and toughts.

1. First of all I diagnosed the car with ISTA but no errors here. The only sign that something is wrong is lack of communication with SMC module - I tried to trigger lights adaptation in ISTA but after a while it shows error - no communication / module is busy. What concerns me the most is that I tought that there should be some error if module is not responding. This is the point that differs my problem from standard issues that I found on the forum. Is leveling function also depending on SMC module?

2. I checked if maybe someone coded out the headlights functions but all seems to be in order in FRM module code (connected via NCS Expert CAS=>NFRM).

3. Tried to connect to SMC module with tool32 but there's the same error as in ISTA (module busy).

4. My right xenon light seems to be stuck on head-right position, so it did work at some point!

5. No errors on dashboard at all.

6. Visualy checked leveling sensors under the car and it looks good - no signs of damage on sensors or cables (ISTA shows voltages on both so I assume it works - am I right?).

7. The previous owner installed aftermarket LED turning lights not long before selling the car. This makes me wonder if it could damage or disconect leveling and cornering system? He might not notice that something went wrong becouse it happened not long before he sold me the car. Looks like these: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/32843...d=j1QhKvjEQptV

Next step is to take the lamp out and check if there's moisture or damage signs on SMC module (I would do this in few days so in the meantinme I'm looking for other possible issues) but what concerns me the most is why there's no error code?

I would be grateful for any tips and clues!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 12:04 PM   #2
alex3334
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E34, BMW E39, BMW E90

Hello again!
I know there wasn't any replies on my problem but maybe someone would have same issue in the future - so I would keep updating

Finaly I dropped the bumper and checked what's going on in my headlights and what a suprise! Left headlight doesn't have SMC module (and motor).

So now I have another question - if my left headlight doesn't match VIN and lacks module and right one is allright - should auto leveling work (both headlights have leveling motor - the one for up and down movement)? Or if one lamp doesn't match VIN whole system would not work?

I'm not sure if replacing my headlight for correct one would fix both issues (cornering and leveling). It's obvious that SMC module doesn't work but why AHL doesn't too?

Could somebody enlight me please - both headlights should have SMC module? Or it's just one device which communicates with both headlights?

Last edited by alex3334; 05-05-2023 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mike K319.00