E90Post
 


Coby Wheel
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Updating CIC Firmware



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #67
coleybmw335
Private
England
11
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Derby, England

iTrader: (0)

There maybe a few more stuff but, I had it done not long after I got the car so wasn't familiar with what it was like before.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #68
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
70
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Stafford UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
What did you ask them for?
When I asked they were clueless about what I wanted and said it can't be done
Originally they didn't quite seem to understand about the software/firmware, but a guy I used to go to school with lives in my street and works at the local dealer, I asked him to have a word as he knows what he's on about, so im sure that helped.

If you just ask for firmware/software update they should know. The nav update is separate. 93 from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #69
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
70
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Stafford UK

iTrader: (0)

Got the car back. Took a long time apparently. When they plugged it in, it originally said 14 hours. Car feels really slow over 4k but that's cus I'm used to 460bhp and not 300 lol. The I drive looks nicer that's for sure lol. Nice blue now. Does seem a bit faster zooming in and out. It's just nice to have the latest version of stuff so thought why not.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #70
coleybmw335
Private
England
11
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Derby, England

iTrader: (0)

Glad it went well, I have heard some problems with some car being updated.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #71
R3tribut10n
Private
13
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: Bmw 320d se
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cardiff

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
If this can speed up the actual navigation then I'd be interested. I find that zooming in and out during navigation is rather slow.
That will be your hard drive, switch to ssd and watch the difference
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #72
alexbr72
Registered
United Kingdom
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: E91 320XD
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Essex

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Hi All,

I popped into my local BMW (Benham Wolverhampton) a few days ago to ask about the possibility of getting my I-Drive FW updated. I know the parts guy in there and he usually goes the extra mile to help me out, but when I asked about updating the CIC FW he said he could see it being 200+ if they could do it at all.

He went and asked one of the other technicians and ca]me back saying that regardless of cost it was impossible to update it. I said "are you sure because I've seen people on the E90 forum saying they have had it done it and they have mentioned the new features of the update".

he went back again to check and said the technician has worked at BMW for 14 years and it categorically can't be done.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but can anyone confirm so that I can show the parts adviser this thread

Mine's an 09 LCI with Pro CIC Nav btw.

Thanks
Hi i've been having the same issues with my e91, i need update can you point how you resolve your issue
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:48 AM   #73
micatech
MICATECH
Australia
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 330i F30
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

2009 lci cic

Will any of the firmware upgrades give me additional features?

In the setting I do not have "software update" option and wish I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 06:59 AM   #74
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 330D
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micatech View Post
Will any of the firmware upgrades give me additional features?

In the setting I do not have "software update" option and wish I did.
Do you have the I with the tick on map view. Without it you need DVDs to update the maps.

I paid the dealers to do mine, which I was glad in the end as it took 2.5 days as it kept crashing not sure how that would pan out at an Indy.


I didn't really notice anything extra to be honest, postcode search was about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #75
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=fatty5000;25746497]Do you have the I with the tick on map view. Without it you need DVDs to update the maps.

I paid the dealers to do mine, which I was glad in the end as it took 2.5 days as it kept crashing not sure how that would pan out at an Indy.


I didn't really notice anything extra to be honest, postcode search was about it.[/QUOTE


I dont think you do, if you have CIC you have to update by mem stick. I don't have the tick either so I phoned BMW parts dept and asked for a DVD to update the nav while explaining that i had CIC but no tick and they said no you have to update by mem stick, that'll be 85 please.

I used the update shared on here and it installed without problem.

After updating the map, i can jow input the full postcode when searching for an address. I went from 2009 maps to 2019.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #76
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 330D
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Strange, mine wouldn't take a usb until I got the tick everyone said I should have. Mine was a sept 09 build and nothing had been updated since then!
Perhaps you were one FW up from me.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #77
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

Mine is an August/ September build too and has had no updates at all. I did question the guys at BMW about only being able to update the car via usb if it has had a firmware update but they said no and would only sell me the update on a usb. The first time it wouldn't read the usb but i kept trying and after replugging it in and waiting it just started the download, and about 50 mins or so later had finished the update.

I think the cic units are a bit finicky about what usb stick you use and how it has been formatted.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #78
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 330D
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Mine is an August/ September build too and has had no updates at all. I did question the guys at BMW about only being able to update the car via usb if it has had a firmware update but they said no and would only sell me the update on a usb. The first time it wouldn't read the usb but i kept trying and after replugging it in and waiting it just started the download, and about 50 mins or so later had finished the update.

I think the cic units are a bit finicky about what usb stick you use and how it has been formatted.
It's all a little inconsistent around this, no soon as I had the update the USB update worked fine, the same stick wouldn't update before that.


*shrugs shoulders*
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #79
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty5000 View Post
It's all a little inconsistent around this, no soon as I had the update the USB update worked fine, the same stick wouldn't update before that.


*shrugs shoulders*
It is very strange, i have no idea why BMW would make a new CIC system that has a hard drive with a usb in the glove box yet require you do do a firmware update before you can use the usb it to do a map update, it makes no sense. I definitely have no tick and mine updated ok with USB.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #80
Burny
Private
4
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: E91 330d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Derby

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=Silver Streek;25747836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty5000 View Post
Do you have the I with the tick on map view. Without it you need DVDs to update the maps.

I paid the dealers to do mine, which I was glad in the end as it took 2.5 days as it kept crashing not sure how that would pan out at an Indy.


I didn't really notice anything extra to be honest, postcode search was about it.[/QUOTE


I dont think you do, if you have CIC you have to update by mem stick. I don't have the tick either so I phoned BMW parts dept and asked for a DVD to update the nav while explaining that i had CIC but no tick and they said no you have to update by mem stick, that'll be 85 please.

I used the update shared on here and it installed without problem.

After updating the map, i can jow input the full postcode when searching for an address. I went from 2009 maps to 2019.
Hi silver streak,
my cic also doesn't have the tick, I have updated the maps to 2014 using discs but that's as far as I can go I think with discs, What memory stick did you use as I have tried to update via stick and it doesn't do anything so wonder if its the stick I'm using?. I have a lifetime code installed so hopefully if I copy what you did I will be able to update to newer maps.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:39 AM   #81
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 330D
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

32gb kingston traveller USB

When I was looking into it all I was told no tick no usb update! Which as said rang true as when I had the I-level update at the dealers they did the 19-02 map update, about three weeks after 20-01 came out and I did it myself using the USB which wouldn't work before. I always couldn't do the 1b file trick to get an FSC code either which I was led to believe I needed the tick for, again this now works after the update. The fella above claims his works with USB without the tick, but I think he is the one I have heard of, maybe different country or something like that? I did a lot of reading on this last year which I why I let the dealer do it in the end, my local indy was to scared to do the nav update as they fall over quite often, as mine did!


HTH
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:41 AM   #82
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 330D
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
It is very strange, i have no idea why BMW would make a new CIC system that has a hard drive with a usb in the glove box yet require you do do a firmware update before you can use the usb it to do a map update, it makes no sense. I definitely have no tick and mine updated ok with USB.
Technically the port was there for music loading first, IIRC the manual refers to disc updates for nav, USB was added later hence the update needed.

When I was looking into it all I was told no tick no usb update! Which as said rang true as when I had the I-level update at the dealers they did the 19-02 map update, about three weeks after 20-01 came out and I did it myself using the USB which wouldn't work before. I always couldn't do the 1b file trick to get an FSC code either which I was led to believe I needed the tick for, again this now works after the update. I did a lot of reading on this last year which I why I let the dealer do it in the end, my local indy was to scared to do the nav update as they fall over quite often, as mine did!


HTH
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #83
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=Burny;25757541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post

Hi silver streak,
my cic also doesn't have the tick, I have updated the maps to 2014 using discs but that's as far as I can go I think with discs, What memory stick did you use as I have tried to update via stick and it doesn't do anything so wonder if its the stick I'm using?. I have a lifetime code installed so hopefully if I copy what you did I will be able to update to newer maps.
Thanks
Hi Burny i used a Cruzer Blade 64GB stick, however i formatted it to Fat32. Normally you cant do this with the newer larger sticks so i downloaded a small program which was able to do the Fat32 format.

For the FSC code, i did not get this from the car, it seemed like a faff so i bought one off of ebay about 9.

First time i put the stick in to do the update it did nothing. So i pulled out the stick and tried again. This time it worked fine. 50 or so mins later it had successfully updated to 2019

As i said above BMW themselves told me you cant update my CIC nav with a disk. Definitely no tick so no firmware update has been done, tye car was still on 2009 maps.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #84
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty5000 View Post
32gb kingston traveller USB

When I was looking into it all I was told no tick no usb update! Which as said rang true as when I had the I-level update at the dealers they did the 19-02 map update, about three weeks after 20-01 came out and I did it myself using the USB which wouldn't work before. I always couldn't do the 1b file trick to get an FSC code either which I was led to believe I needed the tick for, again this now works after the update. The fella above claims his works with USB without the tick, but I think he is the one I have heard of, maybe different country or something like that? I did a lot of reading on this last year which I why I let the dealer do it in the end, my local indy was to scared to do the nav update as they fall over quite often, as mine did!


HTH
Mine is a UK car. I bought it in 2017, it only had 34k on the clock and had only been serviced twice by the stealer. I have the bills, and only the standard oil and filters were done. Since i have had it all servicing has been done by me as its an old car now.

I will see if i can get the firmware version from the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #85
Burny
Private
4
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: E91 330d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Derby

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=Silver Streek;25759070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burny View Post

Hi Burny i used a Cruzer Blade 64GB stick, however i formatted it to Fat32. Normally you cant do this with the newer larger sticks so i downloaded a small program which was able to do the Fat32 format.

For the FSC code, i did not get this from the car, it seemed like a faff so i bought one off of ebay about 9.

First time i put the stick in to do the update it did nothing. So i pulled out the stick and tried again. This time it worked fine. 50 or so mins later it had successfully updated to 2019

As i said above BMW themselves told me you cant update my CIC nav with a disk. Definitely no tick so no firmware update has been done, tye car was still on 2009 maps.
Hi silver streek,

I don't suppose you would be up for sharing the stick would you if I covered postage both ways? I know it's a bit cheeky but I have tried loads of different sticks and all have done nothing.
Just don't really want to spend more money trying to get the maps updated. If it's worked for you I don't see why it wouldn't work for me.
No worries if your not comfortable doing it fully understand
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #86
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=Burny;25759236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post

Hi silver streek,

I don't suppose you would be up for sharing the stick would you if I covered postage both ways? I know it's a bit cheeky but I have tried loads of different sticks and all have done nothing.
Just don't really want to spend more money trying to get the maps updated. If it's worked for you I don't see why it wouldn't work for me.
No worries if your not comfortable doing it fully understand
I'm happy to send it over if it helps you out. First let me check the update file is still on the stick. If it is I shall reply back here and you can PM me your address and ill pop it in the post tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #87
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 330D
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Double post above, sorry heavy night last night!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #88
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
115
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

Burny the update file is still on the stick, so PM me your address and i will send you the stick. Its the 2019 update so should be ok for early 2020, the roads cant have changed too much in 1 year.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST