E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > High LTFT on my N55?

07-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

High LTFT on my N55?

Hi guys,

Since last winter begins, my car's LTFT has been very high.

Right now I am on Cobb stage 1+ aggressive. But even though I put it back to stock map or even valet map, the long term fuel trim is high..

My ltft gets higher and higher when parked, but on highway, it goes really near to 0, which is a good thing.

According to this: http://www.aa1car.com/library/what_is_fuel_trim.htm

Quote:
Using Fuel Trim to Diagnose Problems

Use Fuel Trim to Diagnose Vacuum and Fuel Delivery Leaks. With the engine idling, look at the Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT) and Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) values. Normal range may be high as plus or minus 8, but closer to zero is best. If the numbers are +10 or higher for STFT and LTFT, your engine is running LEAN. Rev the engine to 1500 to 2000 RPM and hold it steady for half a minute or so. If the fuel trim numbers drops back down to a more normal reading, it confirms the engine has a vacuum leak at idle. This is because vacuum leaks have less of a leaning effect on the fuel mixture as engine speed and load increase.

If the fuel trim readings do not change much, the lean fuel condition is more likely due to a fuel delivery problem (weak fuel pump, restricted fuel filter, dirty fuel injectors or a leaky fuel pressure regulator) than a vacuum leak.

LTFT fuel trim readings that are trending high might also be the result of a slight ignition misfire that is not bad enough yet to set a misfire code but is bad enough to cause a drop in fuel economy. One or more fouled spark plugs that are misfiring occasionally, or a weak ignition coil or bad plug wire that is allowing some occasional misfires could be the cause. For more information on misfire diagnose, Click Here.

You can use fuel trim to identify dirty fuel injectors. If the LTFT fuel trim readings are trending up (POSITIVE), it means the fuel feedback control system is compensating for an air/fuel mixture that is becoming progressively leaner over time. The most likely cause would be dirty fuel injectors. Fuel delivery can be restricted by the accumulation of varnish deposits inside the injector nozzles. The fix here is to clean the injectors. If the fuel trim values return to normal after the injectors have been cleaned, it verifies you have solved the problem. If the fuel trim values don't change after cleaning the injectors, the lean fuel condition may be due to low fuel pressure or air/vacuum leaks.

You can use fuel trim readings to check the response of the oxygen sensors and engine computer to changes you make in the fuel mixture. While the engine is idling, temporarily disconnect a vacuum hose. You should see the STFT fuel trim readings jump immediately and go POSITIVE, and the LTFT should start to creep up in response to the artificial lean fuel mixture you have just created by disconnecting the vacuum hose.

To test a rich response, you can feed some propane vapor from a small propane tank into the throttle body or a vacuum hose connection on the intake manifold. This time, you should see a drop in fuel trim readings, with STFT going NEGATIVE, and LTFT creeping downward in response to the rich fuel mixture.

No change in fuel trim readings when you create an artificial lean or rich fuel mixture would tell you the engine computer is NOT operating in closes loop, or that the oxygen sensor(s) are not responding to changes in the fuel mixture.
I might have a vacuum leak? But I don't find any leak on the system, there's no engine code whatsoever.

I changed all spark plugs for this problem, no help..

Sometimes it hesitate a little, just a little, but noticeable, when I go WOT. The pull is not smooth, feels like it will suddenly catch up. Cobb supposed to be smooth according to all the

OH and the rough idle, almost forget that.

Do you guys think I have a weak HPFP?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Physics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Have same issue. STFT is maxed out and similar symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics
Have same issue. STFT is maxed out.
My STFT maximum swings from -20 to +20.

What symptoms do you have?