E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Idrive CBS indication vs Odometer

03-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
christian977
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Idrive CBS indication vs Odometer

Hi to All,
I bought a second hand e90 320D it had service history with a independent mechanic and the sercvicing was done at 10k km intervals. I have just taken it to my local mechanic for the first time and he has showed me the Idrive CBS page and the next service seems out, it says the next service is due in nearly 50000km time????
My mechanic said that the milage could have been tampered with??? At first i though no way, but after a little research wow, it seems it is possible??
Is there any way to check this?
All input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

do you have the mileage tamper dot showing in the cluster?
I swap my cluster with one from an M3 (when it's not at the dealer!) and the mileage syncs correctly with the car, but shows the tamper dot, it also throws off the CBS in the iDrive. IIRC because the kombi (cluster) is responsible for the CBS and the iDrive merely displays the info.

I am 100% sure it would be possible to wind back the miles without the tamper dot showing.

I tried to code my cluster with tool32 but the chip was locked and I think the chip in the cluster needs changing / Writing with special hardware (not BMW standard tools) along with a few other modules in the car.

maybe someone else might know that part.

might be easier to trace the service history, make some calls if you can. or do the free online MOT check? caught out so many clocked cars that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

Check M.O.T.s
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #4
litany
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 330dA M57NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-qts View Post
do you have the mileage tamper dot showing in the cluster?
I swap my cluster with one from an M3 (when it's not at the dealer!) and the mileage syncs correctly with the car, but shows the tamper dot, it also throws off the CBS in the iDrive. IIRC because the kombi (cluster) is responsible for the CBS and the iDrive merely displays the info.

I am 100% sure it would be possible to wind back the miles without the tamper dot showing.

I tried to code my cluster with tool32 but the chip was locked and I think the chip in the cluster needs changing / Writing with special hardware (not BMW standard tools) along with a few other modules in the car.

maybe someone else might know that part.

might be easier to trace the service history, make some calls if you can. or do the free online MOT check? caught out so many clocked cars that way.
I'm able to delete tamper dot and set correct mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:44 AM   #5
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by litany View Post
I'm able to delete tamper dot and set correct mileage.
I was thinking of giving you a shout at some point to update my CIC for bmw apps and internet. I have a combox but no album art, internet, apps or mobile messaging. I think the version of the CIC needs updating.

Are you able to get the sport displays working... power / torque etc...? I see it is possible with the NBT retrofit but not sure about the CIC, tried to enable sport displays in NCS but the option is not showing in my CIC module, maybe an update would enable it.

Would be good to get the kombi working correctly, as the service info in the idrive doesn't sync correctly.

I have quite a few things to sort out first but will give you a message at some point in the summer, I am not far from Southampton at all.
Appreciate 0