E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Missed shifts - 6MT

04-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #67
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I think I am missing something here:

Who the heck double clutch rev matches when accelerating down a 1/4 mile? This technique is for changing to a lower gear..........no?

At least that's what I was taught and have been doing for years.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #68
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Ill have to give that a try! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Digging up a thread that is almost an entire year old......

Anyway, I didn't bother reading the whole thread but I wanted to put in my experience with the missed 1-2 shift. Here is what I noticed happening when I missed it: The gear selector was actually hitting the notch for Reverse and hanging up the shift! I must have put a quite a bit of leftward pressure on the stick when I was shifting, partially opening the gate to Reverse and allowing the stick to hang up and prevent engagement of second gear.

I tested this theory a few more times, and it does create a missed shift opportunity. It tends to happen when trying to shift fast, as you apply more force to the stick. So now I pay more attention to not putting any side forces on the stick and I haven't missed a 1-2 shift yet.
      04-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #69
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

i think its dumb that they put reverse gear right next to 1st. it should be next to 6th. when you are stopped, you only go into one of 2 gears - 1st or Reverse. Those gears should be seperated as far as possible. Also, gears 1-3 is where all the action happens and you don't want anything creating misshift opportunities. When you go into 5th or 6th you're just cruising, your not gonna misshift.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #70
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i think its dumb that they put reverse gear right next to 1st. it should be next to 6th. when you are stopped, you only go into one of 2 gears - 1st or Reverse. Those gears should be seperated as far as possible. Also, gears 1-3 is where all the action happens and you don't want anything creating misshift opportunities. When you go into 5th or 6th you're just cruising, your not gonna misshift.
It's a german thing. Every german stick I have driven has the reverse far left and forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #71
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Sounds like you are getting too excited and you're feeling the pressure and just choking. Like missing a penalty shot you make every other time.

Like some one else said, being gentler with the shifter helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #72
jbttum3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i coupe 6MT

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I had the same issue and BMW replaced my entire transmission. The dealer I purchased the vehicle from tried to say I was driving it too hard which made no sense. Never once missed a gear in my M3 so I knew it wasn't my driving. Brought the car to another dealer to an SA who autocrosses and he immediately blamed the synchro in second after driving it a few runs. Problem now is that the new transmission does the exact same thing. Its really annoying but I think the only solution is to granny shift these things. I'm bringing the car in next week though to see what they can do.......hopefully they can just fix the one gear.

Leftcoastman, take your car in and have a mechanic drive it and see what they say. NOTE: When you bring it in make sure you baby the car around for a bit before goin WOT and quick shifting it. Took me 3 visits to the dealer to realize that it wouldn't grind into second if you had been quick shifting several times consecutively before hand......it usually only happens when you go from normal daily driving to hard driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
Could a SSK help with this?

Mat
Nope, I put one on the new tranny and it still does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I firmly believe the syncros are off on the 1-2 shift. No matter how many people have the CDV, modded it, or deleted it, theres still a problem shifting fast. Going into any of the other gears 3-6 quickly isnt a problem. I still grind 2nd sometimes and I dont know why. The clutch is all the way down but its like it doesnt want to engage as quickly.

Id rather this than my fuel pump dying if theres a choice.
I'd take the fuel pump.....nothing more embarrassing than grinding a gear in the middle of racing somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Sounds like you are getting too excited and you're feeling the pressure and just choking. Like missing a penalty shot you make every other time.

Like some one else said, being gentler with the shifter helps a lot.
Shouldn't have to granny shift these cars IMO

SOLD!!! :-(Space Gray Metallic - Coral Red - 6MT - Sport - AA Exhaust - UR Catted Coated DP's - Procede V3.1 PnP - Stett CAI - BMW Group SSK - M-Tech Sides/Rear- OEM Aero Lip - GP 8500K Angels - Vorsteiner Boot Lid - Miro M6 Reps
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #73
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Its so embarrassing trying to take off quickly, and then grinding in second gear. My M coupe does the exact same damn thing that the 3 does.
      04-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #74
ttdmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Blk Saph/Coral Red

Not sure if anyone else does this but out of habit, I always put the lever into 2nd before 1st in anticipation of a 1-2 shift when moving off.

Did this in the Esprit due to the soft synchros and it seemed to set the 2nd gear synchro and be a lot smoother. From my experience I get similar results in the BMW.

Either way maybe higher quality gear oil may help with the 1-2 shift issue.
Appreciate 0