E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > [FIXED] Issues after new battery - Steering Lock Error, cant start car

11-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #23
Joe_L
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Theres a counter associated with the ELV (electronic steering lock). If the steering lock fails to unlock the steering column a number of times and exceeds a maximum limit, you will get that warning light on the dash. This can happen when you have a low battery condition

This can be fixed with Tool32 (Part of BMW Standard Tools) which resets the counter. They are these two jobs:

steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen
steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen

I am not 100% sure if it will fix it in your case, because from what I read, the steering lock should still attempt to unlock even when it shows the error on the dash?
Yeh doesnt seem to be a any audible sounds from the steering column to indicate that its trying to unlock at all
As soon as i connect the battery up, the red steering lock icon comes up on the dash screen.

Will have to take it to get looked at by the pro's and see what they come back with. My only issue now is how to get it there from a fairly low clearance and tight undercover carpark haha. Its fairly empty during the day though so hopefully will be able to maneuver it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Good luck mate, seems to be an all too common problem
Thanks man. Yep after reading through the various threads on this, sounds like this is a very common issue and most were fortunate to have them replaced under warranty. Not me though unfortunately...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #24
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Definitely try re-setting the ELV counter first. If it was the actual steering lock there would have been signs of it getting stuck and on its way out, which in any case means new steering column. Though some people try regreasing the mechanism.

There is also an ELV emulator out there which you plug in and bypasses the steering lock so you never have to think about it ever again, though no steering lock again either.

Also if you remove the leather boot around the gear shifter I believe you can release the leaver to put it in neutral and role the car a bit if you need.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #25
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Definitely try re-setting the ELV counter first. If it was the actual steering lock there would have been signs of it getting stuck and on its way out, which in any case means new steering column. Though some people try regreasing the mechanism.

There is also an ELV emulator out there which you plug in and bypasses the steering lock so you never have to think about it ever again, though no steering lock again either.

Also if you remove the leather boot around the gear shifter I believe you can release the leaver to put it in neutral and role the car a bit if you need.
Thanks mate. Yep will definitely have to try getting the counter cleared first.
Trying to read up to see if i have the guts to go through this coding stuff myself haha. Otherwise hoping there is someone on here around the North Melbourne area that might be able to help me out.

Seems like a hassle to get it towed just to get programmed...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #26
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

DW about coding brah. @vtl he is the man u want to chase up.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #27
Joe_L
Private
Rep

First off...MASSIVE thanks to Vincent/VTL who offered to check it out for me, driving all the way from Upper Ferntree Gully to North Melbourne after work. Reading through the forums, im sure most are already aware that he's an absolute whiz when it comes to coding, and was great to be able to see him in action. Thanks again mate.

Happy to report that this issue is now fixed and i am now able to start/drive the car with no errors!!!

Vincent might be able to describe it better, but basically a reset of the ELV counter did the trick.
Turns out my steering wheel wasnt actually locked at all, even though i was getting the error. The wheel was still able to be turned from side to side.
We gather that this has probably stemmed from the time my missus and mates were told by BMW assist to pull out the key after it was stuck in the key slot after the battery died.
Not sure if this helped the cause, but the battery was also registered (and fitted correctly by Vince thanks to my dodgy DIY effort).

Whilst the car was hooked up, Vince also added a few other goodies: Digital Speedo, Removed startup disclaimer, TV in motion, Updated Alpina B3 flash (or rather outdated Alpina flash as i was told by vince...D mode is now perfect and no longer shifts to 6th gear @ 40kmh). So if anything, my car has now come out better than before the issue lol

Again, a big thanks to Vince who's not just an expert coder but a top bloke too. Look forward to catching up with you again for the walnut blast at some stage
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #28
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Just for reference if anyone comes across this thread on search or google.

Fixed Joe's car by running steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen and steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen in Tool32

Start up Tool32, select CAS.prg and double click on the two jobs. CAS will reset after job completion.

Was a bit worried when first connecting to the car as the CAS would not allow the ignition to be turned on. This can cause all sorts of issues when coding/diagnosing using INPA so I wasn't sure if the tool32 scripts would run.

After running the two jobs we heard a thump from the car and the CAS unit reset. Upon ejecting the key we heard the sound of the steering lock disengage. Tried engine start and we got the familiar sound of n54 cold start with downpipes!

Came across this document in ISTA regarding the ELV counter. Unlike some BMWs, our cars will disable the igniution and prevent engine start when the ELV counter has reached maximum. This has obviously happened when the battery died with the key still in the ignition. There was probably enough power to power the processors in the CAS system but not enough energy to activate the steering lock. It attempts a bunch of times and you can't start the car.

Can't say I agree with the design, seems a bit dumb that the counter persists after power cycling.
Attached Images

11-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #29
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Nice work Vince

BTW what the hell is a ELV counter ??
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:33 AM   #30
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Who da man Vince
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #31
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nice work Vince

BTW what the hell is a ELV counter ??
Thanks guys

ELV is just the german abbreviation for the electronic steering lock (Elektrische Lenkungsverriegelung). If the lock fails to disengage it will increment the counter. When it reaches the maximum number of retries you get a bricked vehicle.
      11-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #32
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys

ELV is just the german abbreviation for the electronic steering lock (Elektrische Lenkungsverriegelung). If the lock fails to disengage it will increment the counter. When it reaches the maximum number of retries you get a bricked vehicle.
Of course Electricanskivanfigginggermandercrap
Why didnt i think of that (face palm)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:40 AM   #33
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys

Hey Vince on a totally different topic.. do you want to bore out my nipple?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #34
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Let me put it another way, I need some help with my nipple and vac reg line to the BOVs

See fix below

UPDATE: I removed the manifold and cut off the stock nipple and replaced it with a 1/4" brass hose barb. I then ran a short 1/4" I.D. line to the BOV instead of a 3.5mm line I was using.

The BOV is WAY more responsive now. Because it is more responsive, this moaning noise from the VTT inlets is now reduced by 90% or so. It still moans slightly at low boost, but not at all at high boost.

I think the moaning has something to do with the BOV not opening fast enough. At low boost it opens much slower than high boost
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #35
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds gross!

I assume you mean the intake manifold nipple? Yeah I can drill and tap a hole to accept a new brass barb and seal the threads so it doesn't leak. PM'd
Thanks Mate
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #36
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Sorry Ill move this to my build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #37
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Fuck vtl your an absolute weapon and a legend.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #38
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Yep the beemer community is very lucky to have someone as knowledgeable and helpful as him. Good stuff man!

Quote:
Sorry Ill move this to my build thread
All good i'll allow the thread jack if the topic is nipples
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #39
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Man.. I wish we had a VTL up here in Sydney.

Anyone up for putting a group buy together and flying Vince up to Sydney for a bit of a coding day with pizza and beer

BTW what software did you use to do the coding? NCS-expert?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #40
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Man.. I wish we had a VTL up here in Sydney.

Anyone up for putting a group buy together and flying Vince up to Sydney for a bit of a coding day with pizza and beer

BTW what software did you use to do the coding? NCS-expert?
Haha thanks for the kind words.

Yeah I used NCSExpert for the coding, INPA for diagnostics WinKFP for flashes and Tool32 for the advanced low level jobs like ELV reset
      11-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #41
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Vtl are u from heaven?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #42
Rodolfox
Chile
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2007 TiAg

ELV red Ring of Death

Quote:
Just for reference if anyone comes across this thread on search or google.

Fixed Joe's car by running steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen and steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen in Tool32

Start up Tool32, select CAS.prg and double click on the two jobs. CAS will reset after job completion.

Was a bit worried when first connecting to the car as the CAS would not allow the ignition to be turned on. This can cause all sorts of issues when coding/diagnosing using INPA so I wasn't sure if the tool32 scripts would run.

After running the two jobs we heard a thump from the car and the CAS unit reset. Upon ejecting the key we heard the sound of the steering lock disengage. Tried engine start and we got the familiar sound of n54 cold start with downpipes!

Came across this document in ISTA regarding the ELV counter. Unlike some BMWs, our cars will disable the igniution and prevent engine start when the ELV counter has reached maximum. This has obviously happened when the battery died with the key still in the ignition. There was probably enough power to power the processors in the CAS system but not enough energy to activate the steering lock. It attempts a bunch of times and you can't start the car.

Can't say I agree with the design, seems a bit dumb that the counter persists after power cycling.
Woke up this morning to the sound of the alarm on my 2007 E90 330i. The car was in the garage at home and I noticed I'd left the sunroof lifted. I thought an insect that got in was the culprit and attempted remote open/close with the FOB without response from the car. It would not open with the key Fob and seemed to show signs of battery discharge. Managed to open the driver door with the physical key and got in and noticed a Red steering wheel lock displayed in the dash. Inserted the FOB and no start. Lights and dash were dim and guessed the alarm had been going off all night and drained the battery. The battery was replaced less than a year ago and not sure if it was properly registered. Never had issues with the steering lock before this, but for the past few weeks I had noticed a warning message displaying low batt on my key Fobs (both of them). Also no apparent issues with the new battery.

Took a cab to work and left the car stranded at home. I've been reading posts and forums on this issue throughout the day. Awful day. The car has less than 50k miles and no guarantee.

Got home from work and tried to start it with jumper cables (using a power pack), but no success. Pressing the Start/Stop does nothing. All other systems seem to be OK. Also tried locking and unlocking a couple of times with the physical key. Still Red ring of death on my Dash and no Start. Let the battery charge a few minutes and still nothing. Battery is now discharged again. Seems like something is draining it. Maybe a faulty IBS?

Found a local indy with a scanner who (like VTL) mentioned the need to reset a counter (ELV, I guess), but requires me to tow the car to his shop. After figuring out how to disengage it from Park (!!!) so I can get it out of the garage and onto a flatbed tow truck, I plan to take it tomorrow morning to the indy and follow what VTL described in this post. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Still bewildered by what caused this. Non OEM battery? Failing to register the new battery? Low batt on key Fobs? I just hope it's a software issue and I don't have to replace the whole steering column as I've read on some forums. Or the IBS.

Will post my (hopefully positive) update tomorrow.

Thanks to VTL for sharing

UPDATE: Took the car to any indy shop. All the trouble was caused by a failing battery (less than a year old). New battery installed and registered, ELV counter reset and all is good now! Thanks again to VTL!

Last edited by Rodolfox; 12-21-2016 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Update after repairs
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #43
flowserver
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i E90 2007

Lightbulb Helpful video

Watch this:

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:45 AM   #44
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

I'll never get those three minutes of my life back!

Since Generation 3 software was introduced a long, long time ago ELV can be reset via ISTA.
Appreciate 0