E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > HELP: Engine light warning comes on due to engine stuttering during acceleration

09-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
wunderbar911
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi coupe (space grey)

HELP: Engine light warning comes on due to engine stuttering during acceleration

Hoping some members on the forum may have had come across similar symptoms that I've been experiencing with my E92 (328xi). I tried to search the forum but didn't come across any close match.

Recently my car would start to stutter when I try to accelerate a bit harder (not flooring it or anything but when pressing down to pass it starts to happen) and then it feels like it is going to stall and engine light comes on (yellow).

To address it, I have to pull over and stop the car then restart the car. If I do a gradual acceleration then the problem doesn't occur(basically need to keep a light foot to keep the car going).

Note that this happens at all speeds (almost like causing the engine to downshift triggers it). When the engine light (yellow) comes on I tried to go the the "Check Control" menu but don't see any codes. Anyone here have any idea what it may be or have come across the issue?

Some things that have been recently changed not too long ago:
- Replaced air filter
- Had oil change done

My first inclination was could it be due for new spark plug and wire replacement needed? The car has 170000km on it and only thing that has ever been changed are the brakes and a engine vacuum issue.

A few months back, the dealership also mentioned a valve cover gasket has a small leak and should eventually be replaced so just keep an eye on engine oil leak. Could a VCG cause this behaviour?

I'm in the Ottawa area and have been typically going to the dealership to get the major stuff done but the labour rate keeps going UP! Anyone have recommendation for local shop in Ottawa (or even Markham/Thornhill area) that they could recommend to have things like this and maintenance work done at a reasonable price? Doesn't have to be dirt cheap as long as it's done right.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
k///mikes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335 lci

The easiest way is to use a scanner and find out what is going on, ie what code it's throwing, u can pick up a Bluetooth one from Amazon if u search. Second my guess is it's a Miss fire happening under load, probably spark plugs on there way out, or coil, or a combination of both. I had very similar issues when I went fbo and ran the stage 2+ maps on mhd. At 140k I figured it was time to replace anyway. After that everything was perfect again. But above all else the best starting route is to see what codes it's throwing so you know where to start looking or replacing parts.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
wunderbar911
Private
Canada
Rep

I was able to get my local mechanic to get the code off of the CEL. It's firing P0306. He suggested that it could be the fuel injector 6 but the fact that it goes away after a restart of the engine seemed odd to him.

Possible causes
Faulty spark plug 6
Clogged or faulty fuel injector 6
Faulty ignition coil 6
Fuel injector 6 harness is open or shorted
Fuel injector 6 circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coil 6 harness is open or shorted
Ignition coil 6 circuit poor electrical connection
Insufficient cylinder 6 compression
Incorrect fuel pressure
Intake air leak

You guys think I should just try to replace the spark plugs + ignition coil first? Searching the fuel injector replacement seems like they charge an arm and a leg for that kind of service (hopefully not needing to replace all 6).

Is there any other way to diagnose it further or is the best thing to bring it into the dealer to get them to narrow down the problem and at least give me an estimate first. I could decide at that point.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
BMWRich
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

sounds similar if not exact to what I just got finished fixing. I was getting a P0305. I just replaced all my spark plugs. No more CEL. It seemed like the cheapest option in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
These engines are famous for coil failure. I would doubt the plug or injector would fail but its probably the coil. Best way to check is to unplug each coil and see if there is any change in engine rpm. Also take off the coil of the bad cylinder and switch it to another cylinder, and you will probably now have a cylinder misfire in another.
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
royaldiamond
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

my engine was stuttering too when accelerating somewhat hard. changed coils and sparkplugs and it went away.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
hunter82
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi, F31 328i, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergixxer View Post
These engines are famous for coil failure. I would doubt the plug or injector would fail but its probably the coil. Best way to check is to unplug each coil and see if there is any change in engine rpm. Also take off the coil of the bad cylinder and switch it to another cylinder, and you will probably now have a cylinder misfire in another.
The symptoms you've described were very similar to my experience with a faulty coil.
bimmergixxer has outlined the easiest way to check if it's coil related. It's probably one of the most common ignition issue with the N52... I had one go one morning on the way to work, and had amazon deliver 6 fresh ones for about $200 by the end of the day (figured I might as well replace them all if I'm doing one). One beer later, and the engine was running perfectly.
Hope you get/got this solved for relatively little $.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
wunderbar911
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks all. Given it was probably time to do the sparks I had all 6 sparks and coil replaced by a buddy of mine and light no longer comes on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
Glad to hear you solved the issue. I always have coils on hand for when one fails.
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
SprtWgn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Sputtering on acceleration/engine light on

Same problem with mine just this morning. Would also like to find mechanic in Ottawa area other than dealership. Does anyone know of a reputable garage who would be able to replace coil and spark plugs?
Appreciate 0