E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Anyone here repainted their car yet?

11-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Anyone here repainted their car yet?

I'm looking to do a paint job on mine. It's not bad overall, but I'd like to have it showroom new. Maybe put a clear bra over it as well. FWIW, it's non-metallic black. I figure that's a cheap color to redo, relatively speaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Aren't you tempted to change the colour?
I'm intending to do a colour change from Titanium silver to either Mineral white or Hockenheim silver in a year or 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
Aren't you tempted to change the colour?
I'm intending to do a colour change from Titanium silver to either Mineral white or Hockenheim silver in a year or 2.
I do like Hockenheim Silver a lot. But you can't go wrong with plain black...unless you live in Phoenix lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Just get it wrapped. The vinyl these days look good I'm and you can switch up the wrap if you ever want to. That way you won't be so bummed out when you get a knick or scratch.
unless your looking for that deep looking color with 20 coats of clear.
if I was to spend the money on paint I'd most likely get the same cover as the amount of labor to dismantle the doors , and interior to get all the jams etc to match would cost alot. unless you don't mind having different color jams and engine bay etc, which some don't.

but I vote for a Root Beer color. It's a cool unique color, different, and doesn't show dirt/scuffs that bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Just get it wrapped. The vinyl these days look good I'm and you can switch up the wrap if you ever want to. That way you won't be so bummed out when you get a knick or scratch.
if I was to spend the money on paint I'd most likely get the same cover as the amount of labor to dismantle the doors , and interior to get all the jams etc to match would cost alot. unless you don't mind having different color jams and engine bay etc, which some don't.

but I vote for a Root Beer color. It's a cool unique color, different, and doesn't show dirt/scuffs that bad.
That truck looks great; love that color! It got me looking at vinyl. From what I've read, the costs are similar for a quality job. Maintenance is easier with vinyl, but some imperfections in my paint could show through the wrap. I have a couple spots of bubbling and the bumpers are rock chipped to hell and back. I might have to fix those, then wrap the car. At that point, it'd be cheaper to just have a full repaint minus jams and engine bay. Then I'll definitely be looking at at a paint protection film afterwards. I wonder what that'll cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E7J3F3 View Post
That truck looks great; love that color! It got me looking at vinyl. From what I've read, the costs are similar for a quality job. Maintenance is easier with vinyl, but some imperfections in my paint could show through the wrap. I have a couple spots of bubbling and the bumpers are rock chipped to hell and back. I might have to fix those, then wrap the car. At that point, it'd be cheaper to just have a full repaint minus jams and engine bay. Then I'll definitely be looking at at a paint protection film afterwards. I wonder what that'll cost?

This - a quality full wrap is going to cost substantially more than a decent full repaint. In addition, any previous imperfections will show through the wrap and finally, even top notch wraps are not lifetime. Realistically, you are looking at a lifespan of 4-6 years for a quality wrap.

The biggest question, and one I haven't yet seen asked, is what is your budget?
King Rudi13154.00
      11-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Quote:

This - a quality full wrap is going to cost substantially more than a decent full repaint. In addition, any previous imperfections will show through the wrap and finally, even top notch wraps are not lifetime. Realistically, you are looking at a lifespan of 4-6 years for a quality wrap.

The biggest question, and one I haven't yet seen asked, is what is your budget?
Man I hadn't thought about the durability aspect. That seems like a really short lifespan. As far as a budget, I would like to keep it to $5k. But I'm looking for "factory fresh" and I'm not sure what that's going to cost. I haven't gotten any quotes yet. I'd like to have the chrome trim Hitler Stache shaved off the hood and have my interior trim done glossy black.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Man I hadn't thought about the durability aspect. That seems like a really short lifespan. As far as a budget, I would like to keep it to $5k. But I'm looking for "factory fresh" and I'm not sure what that's going to cost. I haven't gotten any quotes yet. I'd like to have the chrome trim Hitler Stache shaved off the hood and have my interior trim done glossy black.
If you are keeping to the same factory color and plan on doing a solid quality repaint that includes glass and trim removal along with bumpers, doors, etc. from a well respected shop - then you are right in the money. Budget for that type of project would be about $4,000 - $5,000.

To do a full wrap, you would be looking at around $4K.

Generally, a wrap is used to protect already perfect paint - not to correct damaged paint.

I would recommend doing a repaint over the wrap. You also have to assess what your long term plans are for the car. Realistically, a $3,000 paint job is only going to be marginally less perfect than one for $5,000. You might be able to save some money if you are okay with it being 'near perfect'. Also keep in mind resale value. No matter how good the repaint is, if this is a low mileage or newer vehicle, then a repaint may negatively impact resale values.
      11-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You want to spend up to $5K on anything for a ‘07 328? I think I’d spend my money on maintenance and a professional detailing first. You might want to check the value of the car, it’s probably between $5K-$7K.
      11-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
You want to spend up to $5K on anything for a '07 328? I think I'd spend my money on maintenance and a professional detailing first. You might want to check the value of the car, it's probably between $5K-$7K.
The maintenance has been done, I and the original owner I bought it from babied this thing. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to China and back. And I intend to keep it for a looong time yet. It's THE perfect car.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
scanspeak353.50
      11-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The maintenance has been done, I and the original owner I bought it from babied this thing. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to China and back. And I intend to keep it for a looong time yet. It's THE perfect car.
The above poster might have a point with respect to a proper paint correction detail.

Do you have some photos you can post of the defects? I answered your question directly because you specifically asked about a repaint - but it is worth asking if that is really the best option.

If you could get that paint back to 90% of new with an $1,000 paint correction and ceramic coating, that might be a worthy venture.
      11-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

There will be some opinionated ass hat come along shortly telling you about his millionaire friend and how you should just plastidip your entire car.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
E7J3F331.00
      11-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
You want to spend up to $5K on anything for a '07 328? I think I'd spend my money on maintenance and a professional detailing first. You might want to check the value of the car, it's probably between $5K-$7K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
The above poster might have a point with respect to a proper paint correction detail.

Do you have some photos you can post of the defects? I answered your question directly because you specifically asked about a repaint - but it is worth asking if that is really the best option.

If you could get that paint back to 90% of new with an $1,000 paint correction and ceramic coating, that might be a worthy venture.
I didn't mean for my reply to come off sounding so argumentative. I wish I had pictures; I'm on the road for the next few months. I know for certain the bumpers, the right rear quarter, and the hood need repainting. I'm definitely having that trim shaved.

If I can skip the rest and get it back to showroom new without fully painting, I'd be happy to do so. What I need are quotes from local body shops, but that'll have to wait until I get back home.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
There will be some opinionated ass hat come along shortly telling you about his millionaire friend and how you should just plastidip your entire car.
I'd rather let my nephews go to town on it with paint pens lol. At least then I'd have a cute story to go with the ugly car.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Run Silent15127.00
      11-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I'd rather let my nephews go to town on it with paint pens lol. At least then I'd have a cute story to go with the ugly car.
I agree completely.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

paint film is basically same as getting your ride wrapped. I have buddies in San Diego, Can who do high end cars and Tesla's. it's way cheaper to do the wrap yourself, patience is key. Its the labor that makes the cost of wrapping your car high. I did my hood for $20.00. and the roof for $40.00 because I jacked up with the sunroof flap not being pushed down good enough(popped up when I was almost done. lesson learned cut the sunroof out first before applying.
I could probably do my whole car for a couple hundred. I would just sand down the paint areas that are bad and have a shop shoot primer over it then wrap it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0