E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is bimmerlabs down?

10-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Is bimmerlabs down?

Tried to contact Bimmerlabs a few times, but haven't gotten any replies yet. Are they down?
      10-24-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Site and tools are still up, but otherwise on hiatus as far as I'm aware.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I've been waiting almost a year now for my corrected headers tune. I hope everything is alright with Chris
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I've been waiting almost a year now for my corrected headers tune. I hope everything is alright with Chris
What's a corrected header tune? Do you already have a header tune from Bimmerlabs?
      10-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Site and tools are still up, but otherwise on hiatus as far as I'm aware.
Quote:
Do you have the same header tune as desertman123 ?
      10-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
What's a corrected header tune? Do you already have a header tune from Bimmerlabs?
I believe the exhaust gas delay has to be adjusted for the new O2 sensor locations on catless headers with the MAFless tune. I think S54 parameters were used?

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...4#post23689084

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...9#post23692829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Do you have the same header tune as desertman123 ?
No, but I think I'm supposed to (minus the MILVs)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I refrained from commenting on these topics with Bimmerlabs, but I feel it's time to share the entirety of my experiences - the good, the bad, and the ugly - with Bimmerlabs and Chris below:

Firstly, I fully recognize their hard work in moving the N52 community forward by offering an easy to use and free 330i software flash for the 3-stage manifold conversion. That is a huge contribution and I am not discounting that. Bimmerlabs deserves huge credit for this and rightfully so.

On the other hand...

I purchased a $300 USD custom tune (for MILVs and headers) from Bimmerlabs back in the May of 2018. Off the bat, I had a serious driveability issue with the initial version delaying the throttle pedal for a solid 2-3 seconds after changing gears, sometimes even while already cruising. I reported this issue in July 2018.

It took multiple emails and follow ups to get updates on whether a fix was found. Not until I asked for a refund on September 12, 2018 did Chris immediately begin to work on a fix and it was resolved by September 18. Funny how that works...

Over the next few months I was having issues setting my OBD2 monitors ready, and Chris was very helpful in identifying some possible issues. Chalk one up for good support in this instance

He also mentioned he's working on an updated tune in January. I thought that's fantastic that they're offering it to a previous paying customer. Two more months passed, and I never heard from them again - even for an unrelated inquiry.

All my emails were ignored and I gave up around March/April of 2019. At least the car drove well enough and without problems, and I put this entire issue to bed.

Even when things went well, it would take multiple follow up attempts to get a response even though he would continue to post on these forums during these time periods.

I understand this is a hobby/side venture for Chris. However, there really is no justification for this basic lack of communication with the dozens of unanswered emails over the course of all the above interactions while continuing to actively post on these forums.

I emailed Bimmerlabs just this past Friday about a separate issue with a 2FA4 code from flashing a friend's 07 328 to the 3 stage manifold tune.

No response yet either, although it's only been two business days in this case. I'm not holding my breath though...

That's my $0.02.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc

Last edited by 6ixSpd; 10-29-2019 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the only one in this situation. In my case, I had exchanged midpipes for a MAFless headers tune in Aug 2018. I followed up in Sep 2018 as the tune I received did not work with headers and needed revisions. It's now almost Nov 2019 and I have yet to receive the revised tune.

I sent Chris/Bimmerlabs another email; I truly appreciate everything he has contributed to our community and hope that he can deliver the promised tune. Consideration has been exchanged afterall...
I think you guys are expecting too much from him. He's given so much to this community and asked so little in return.

While I don't know the specifics of these purchases, I'm pretty sure he's charged well below market rate, more of a token fee than anything. After all, he's not really advertised tunes for sale, yet he has access to great N52, GS19, S52, N54 files that are all very sellable.

He's probably over extended himself and could be burning out just a little.

I continually use Bimmerlabs for what's its meant to be. A tool for tuners. It's extremely usefully for helping me create tunes for my E85 and now my E89.

I was hoping he could expand Bimmerlabs to help create map packs for other TCUs via scripts. He was close but seems to have gotten a little lost helping other people.
Appreciate 3
lab_rat394.50
tlow982162.50
      10-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
As I said, Chris' contributions to the community are not lost on me - I had donated a "token fee" to him for his efforts prior to purchasing my tune. I remain patient and am still hopeful for an amicable resolution
"Keep the faith"

He'll get to it.
Appreciate 1
tlow982162.50
      10-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

I emailed them about their remote services, they got back to me in a day stating they are no longer offering those services and referred me to another vendor.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I think you guys are expecting too much from him. He's given so much to this community and asked so little in return.
No one is discounting the work he's done for the community - at all. I even prefaced my entire previous post with praising his contributions.

Quote:
He's probably over extended himself and could be burning out just a little.

... He was close but seems to have gotten a little lost helping other people.
The issue arises when charging a couple hundred dollars and under-delivering on that repeatedly.

When you charge people for a product/service, you are expected to hold up your end of the bargain. Nothing more to it, really.

Sending out non-working or unfinalized tunes to paying customers is where the issue arises. And then being unable to address these problems in a timely manner is simply exacerbating the issue further.

Taking several months to a year (as in the case of freedomfries) to resolve these issues is simply unacceptable as a paying customer.

If Chris is unable to dedicate the time/effort/combination thereof to make good on the services he charged for, then he shouldn't be offering these commercial products/services (call it a "token" or whatever term you see fit).

I don't think anyone would have any gripes if full disclosure had been made from the outset and expectations were set clearly.

"Hey, this isn't my primary gig and I'm doing this on the side, as such it may take a very long time for me to follow up on potential issues. Also, these custom tunes may not be fully polished and you might encounter some minor problems that I will work through.

If that's okay, then I can offer you a tune at almost half the cost of other big name tuners. If you want prompt support and tested/verified tunes that have tens of thousands of miles across multiple customer cars and are good to go, then I suggest you look to BPC/AA/insert-name-here."

Something like that wouldn't have led to experiences like mine and others above.

I don't think anything of what I've posted here is unreasonable when buying something. You can substitute the above names of individuals or brands for anything else, and all of this would still hold true.

Edit: I do hope he's well. If he's having serious personal issues then of course that mitigates some of the above.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc

Last edited by 6ixSpd; 10-29-2019 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I refrained from commenting on these topics with Bimmerlabs, but I feel it's time to share the entirety of my experiences - the good, the bad, and the ugly - with Bimmerlabs and Chris below:

Firstly, I fully recognize their hard work in moving the N52 community forward by offering an easy to use and free 330i software flash for the 3-stage manifold conversion. That is a huge contribution and I am not discounting that. Bimmerlabs deserves huge credit for this and rightfully so.

On the other hand...

I purchased a $300 USD custom tune (for MILVs and headers) from Bimmerlabs back in the May of 2018. Off the bat, I had a serious driveability issue with the initial version delaying the throttle pedal for a solid 2-3 seconds after changing gears, sometimes even while already cruising. I reported this issue in July 2018.

It took multiple emails and follow ups to get updates on whether a fix was found. Not until I asked for a refund on September 12, 2018 did Chris immediately begin to work on a fix and it was resolved by September 18. Funny how that works...

Over the next few months I was having issues setting my OBD2 monitors ready, and Chris was very helpful in identifying some possible issues. Chalk one up for good support in this instance

He also mentioned he's working on an updated tune in January. I thought that's fantastic that they're offering it to a previous paying customer. Two more months passed, and I never heard from them again - even for an unrelated inquiry.

All my emails were ignored and I gave up around March/April of 2019. At least the car drove well enough and without problems, and I put this entire issue to bed.

Even when things went well, it would take multiple follow up attempts to get a response even though he would continue to post on these forums during these time periods.

I understand this is a hobby/side venture for Chris. However, there really is no justification for this basic lack of communication with the dozens of unanswered emails over the course of all the above interactions while continuing to actively post on these forums.

I emailed Bimmerlabs just this past Friday about a separate issue with a 2FA4 code from flashing a friend's 07 328 to the 3 stage manifold tune.

No response yet either, although it's only been two business days in this case. I'm not holding my breath though...

That's my $0.02.
What was your fix in getting your OBD monitors ready? I'm having similar issues with my car with the BPC tune that I got right before Bob left. I have inspection coming up in January. I could only have one not ready but I have 2.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
On another note,

I've been supporting a Member trying to develop a tune for Natural Gas Powered N52. He's from Europe and I've asked him to bring his efforts and discussions here. Of course he's using Bimmerlabs tools.

I've helped him locate some of the important MSV70 maps but I'm totally useless when it comes to Natural Gas conversions.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
What was your fix in getting your OBD monitors ready? I'm having similar issues with my car with the BPC tune that I got right before Bob left. I have inspection coming up in January. I could only have one not ready but I have 2.
FWIW back when I had AA tune on my N52 coupe, I was having trouble getting my monitors to set for upcoming emissions renewal (mind you they were fine when I first installed the tune a year before). AA tried their best tweaking the settings but nothing worked so I ultimately asked them to send me a header tune but with o2 monitors turned back on. I then installed o2 sims to deal with the o2 monitors separately and not only did all my monitors set to complete but car ran better than ever. Prob not answer you were looking for but maybe a last ditch resort if you have inspection coming up.
      11-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
FWIW back when I had AA tune on my N52 coupe, I was having trouble getting my monitors to set for upcoming emissions renewal (mind you they were fine when I first installed the tune a year before). AA tried their best tweaking the settings but nothing worked so I ultimately asked them to send me a header tune but with o2 monitors turned back on. I then installed o2 sims to deal with the o2 monitors separately and not only did all my monitors set to complete but car ran better than ever. Prob not answer you were looking for but maybe a last ditch resort if you have inspection coming up.
Yes that actually helps a lot. Where did you get the sims from? And what was the install process?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Yes that actually helps a lot. Where did you get the sims from? And what was the install process?
My old write up here: https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394920
      11-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post

On the other hand...

That's my $0.02.
Evolve has header tune and is excellent, much better than aa. I mentioned this multiple times but folks go to bpc and aa. Contact Imran. They are great. 30k+ mi and is strong and smooth as grass fed organic cow's butter!
Appreciate 1
AWSB328iM395.50
      11-06-2019, 02:08 AM   #18
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

I can still remember being the first one to say something about the lack of response from my emails this seems to the norm now a days thanks for the review on bimmerlabs!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Timothydevisser
Crazy retrofitter
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 330i

I lost all communication with Chris more then a week ago.
My dme and 300$ is in his hands, got no response on my messages...
Project is standing still at the moment because the car is ready but I don't have the dme..
      11-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothydevisser View Post
I lost all communication with Chris more then a week ago.
My dme and 300$ is in his hands, got no response on my messages...
Project is standing still at the moment because the car is ready but I don't have the dme..
Like I said in a PM. I'll find a way to make my Spare DME work for you and you can have it.

I've known Hassmacune for years and I'm not worried about the DME.

Just can't do anything this week end. Totally committed to the wife's projects.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #21
Timothydevisser
Crazy retrofitter
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Like I said in a PM. I'll find a way to make my Spare DME work for you and you can have it.

I've known Hassmacune for years and I'm not worried about the DME.

Just can't do anything this week end. Totally committed to the wife's projects.

I know that and I am very happy with your offer to help.
I don't point a finger at hassmashine as a scammer.
I'm just trying to say that just like several people, I can't get in touch with him.
I am also afraid that something has happened to him, since the communication between hass and me was good until that day.

He comes across to me as a friendly person who wants to help.

(sorry for my google translate English )
      11-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #22
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I emailed Bimmerlabs over a week ago and no response. I hope hassmaschine is okay, he's done so much for the community.
Appreciate 0