E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: E9X ACC Retrofit

10-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #397
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorg4 View Post
How are you getting access to NewTIS? It's showing as site closed for me.
Try to register or shoot them a message. Gotta be logged in as a DIYer.
      11-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #398
bms5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 540d

Garage List
ACC and LDM error codes

I’m just completing my E90 335d ACC retrofit and I have an almost identical issue.
Did you resolve yours, Nefer?

I wrote the VIN to my LDM and updated the software with WinKFP. The first flash attempt showed error codes when complete (Error in EDIABAS or ECU description file). The second attempt seemed to complete and now the VIN shows in UIF but I have a permanent error code, 62CD Control unit, coding data, coding successful (which sounds really odd).
I also now have an error in my ACC radar unit (after LDM programming??) of CD40 undefined fault code. ISTA is no help with diagnosis, either.
I been afraid of flashing the ACC unit which doesn’t appear to have any later software available so all I would accomplish is writing the VIN to it.

My cruise control also simply shows an error on the Kombi when I try to activate it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
Greetings to a group of seriously smart individuals! I'm amazed with what could possibly be done with our BMW cars.
Hope I could get some help from the ACC retrofit masters out here.
I'm almost through with this retrofit on my e82 135i 2011 but I'm stuck at what I think is the very last step.
Here's the list of things I did so far:
1. Coded $541 to VO and FA_Write to CAS and NFRM with no issue, now ACC and LDM are showing up in ISTA, INPA
1. ACC radar installed and wired, VIN changed and flashed, no errors with coding in NCSexpert or ISTA
2. Column switch cluster installed and coded, no errors from DSC, all CC lever movements are recognized when triggered
3. High kombi from 335i installed and coded to proper VIN, no errors in ISTA, all lights pass the K-test, cruise mark active as well
4. DSC, Kombi, ACC, CIC, CID and even CAS, NFRM (just in case) SG_Codiren with empty MAN file to default setting
5. Finally - LDM module wired and flashed with WinKFP to latest sotware and VIN, however it is the only module that shows an error in ISTA. Error code reads: LDM module coding successful... fault code present - yes.
When UIF/AIF of LDM checked with WinKFP shows mileage as 0 km - weird.
Not able to do any coding with NCSexpert as it is not in the list of modules.
I bought another LDM to double check - same exact issue with the new one.

When starting up - the radar car indicator in kombi turns red, to yellow and disappears. I guess kombi check is passed.
When cruise control on/off button is pressed there's either a brake pedal symbol showing up (Dynamic cruise control kombi type coded) or nothing (ACC kombi type coded). Pushing CC lever up, down, forward, backwards does nothing. And finally when CC lever is pushed or pulled all the way I get the Cruise Control Malfunction error! If clears out after car goes into sleep, no trace of what caused it in ISTA.

I suspect there's an issue with coding but after spending long evenings trying to do the same thing over and over again I need a fresh pair of eyes. I know ACC was not even an option for e82, but 6-cylinder e87 in TIS clearly indicate the radar and DSC module fitted is the same on e9x. Someone has successfully retro'd $544 Dynamic cruise on e82 135i so it is just an extra step to get ACC.

I'd appreciate you please share your thoughts on what could possibly be wrong here

Last edited by bms5; 11-20-2021 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #399
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bms5 View Post
I'm just completing my E90 335d ACC retrofit and I have an almost identical issue.
Did you resolve yours, Nefer?

I wrote the VIN to my LDM and updated the software with WinKFP. The first flash attempt showed error codes when complete (Error in EDIABAS or ECU description file). The second attempt seemed to complete and now the VIN shows in UIF but I have a permanent error code, 62CD Control unit, coding data, coding successful (which sounds really odd).
I also now have an error in my ACC radar unit (after LDM programming??) of CD40 undefined fault code. ISTA is no help with diagnosis, either.
I been afraid of flashing the ACC unit which doesn't appear to have any later software available so all I would accomplish is writing the VIN to it.

My cruise control also simply shows an error on the Kombi when I try to activate it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
Greetings to a group of seriously smart individuals! I'm amazed with what could possibly be done with our BMW cars.
Hope I could get some help from the ACC retrofit masters out here.
I'm almost through with this retrofit on my e82 135i 2011 but I'm stuck at what I think is the very last step.
Here's the list of things I did so far:
1. Coded $541 to VO and FA_Write to CAS and NFRM with no issue, now ACC and LDM are showing up in ISTA, INPA
1. ACC radar installed and wired, VIN changed and flashed, no errors with coding in NCSexpert or ISTA
2. Column switch cluster installed and coded, no errors from DSC, all CC lever movements are recognized when triggered
3. High kombi from 335i installed and coded to proper VIN, no errors in ISTA, all lights pass the K-test, cruise mark active as well
4. DSC, Kombi, ACC, CIC, CID and even CAS, NFRM (just in case) SG_Codiren with empty MAN file to default setting
5. Finally - LDM module wired and flashed with WinKFP to latest sotware and VIN, however it is the only module that shows an error in ISTA. Error code reads: LDM module coding successful... fault code present - yes.
When UIF/AIF of LDM checked with WinKFP shows mileage as 0 km - weird.
Not able to do any coding with NCSexpert as it is not in the list of modules.
I bought another LDM to double check - same exact issue with the new one.

When starting up - the radar car indicator in kombi turns red, to yellow and disappears. I guess kombi check is passed.
When cruise control on/off button is pressed there's either a brake pedal symbol showing up (Dynamic cruise control kombi type coded) or nothing (ACC kombi type coded). Pushing CC lever up, down, forward, backwards does nothing. And finally when CC lever is pushed or pulled all the way I get the Cruise Control Malfunction error! If clears out after car goes into sleep, no trace of what caused it in ISTA.

I suspect there's an issue with coding but after spending long evenings trying to do the same thing over and over again I need a fresh pair of eyes. I know ACC was not even an option for e82, but 6-cylinder e87 in TIS clearly indicate the radar and DSC module fitted is the same on e9x. Someone has successfully retro'd $544 Dynamic cruise on e82 135i so it is just an extra step to get ACC.

I'd appreciate you please share your thoughts on what could possibly be wrong here
Try default coding
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #400
bms5
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Try default coding
Using Factory Coding profile in NCS Expert and then using FA write is what I’ve done to tell the modules what they need to do and what other modules to communicate with.

Isn’t that Default Coding or am I misunderstanding the process?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #401
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Try default coding
Using Factory Coding profile in NCS Expert and then using FA write is what I’ve done to tell the modules what they need to do and what other modules to communicate with.

Isn’t that Default Coding or am I misunderstanding the process?
Yea that's pretty much it
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #402
bms5
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My error was assuming that VO coding a module was achieved what default coding accomplished. WRONG! Once I default coded the LDM and ACC modules, my fault codes disappeared. To clarify I did write my VIN to the LDM but did NOT write the VIN to the ACC unit. That appears to be no problem.

Now just a test drive needed to verify function of the system��
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #403
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Just started my ACC retrofit today, on a LCI E90.

I was a bit confused when the lower grille trim piece didn’t fit - turns out the bumper needs to be cut on non-M-Sport cars.

Just for reference, there’s a cutting guide mark moulded into the bumper, on the non painted side (similar to the markings for the PDC holes). Just cut that out with a Dremel and the trim will fit. The cut edge should be mostly hidden by the ACC sensor cover when installed.

Interestingly, there’s no separate part number listed on RealOEM for a pre-cut bumper, despite there being separate parts listed for pre-cut PDC and headlight washer holes.

I think this cutout isn’t required on the M-Sport bumper, because the lower grille sticks out further on that. The cutout is to make clearance for the radar connector.
Appreciate 2
dindf0.00
      12-08-2021, 11:24 PM   #404
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Has anybody managed to get stop go working on e9x hardware ?
      12-09-2021, 12:28 AM   #405
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Has anybody managed to get stop go working on e9x hardware ?
Read the thread. Someone has done it on their 320d (!), but IIRC they had to make their own custom LDM.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #406
bms5
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Bumper cutout pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio View Post
Just started my ACC retrofit today, on a LCI E90.

I was a bit confused when the lower grille trim piece didn’t fit - turns out the bumper needs to be cut on non-M-Sport cars.

Just for reference, there’s a cutting guide mark moulded into the bumper, on the non painted side (similar to the markings for the PDC holes). Just cut that out with a Dremel and the trim will fit. The cut edge should be mostly hidden by the ACC sensor cover when installed.

Interestingly, there’s no separate part number listed on RealOEM for a pre-cut bumper, despite there being separate parts listed for pre-cut PDC and headlight washer holes.

I think this cutout isn’t required on the M-Sport bumper, because the lower grille sticks out further on that. The cutout is to make clearance for the radar connector.
Here is a post showing some detail on what you are referring to. I had to do it on my LCI 335d non M-Sport as well.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=316
Appreciate 1
cheerio143.50
      12-14-2021, 03:38 AM   #407
EdgaBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi,

someone knows is it possible to code default distance? Because now when you activate acc it shows 3 stalks, wan't to be 1 stalk (min distance by default)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #408
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgaBMW View Post
Hi,

someone knows is it possible to code default distance? Because now when you activate acc it shows 3 stalks, wan't to be 1 stalk (min distance by default)

Thanks
No it's at max distance by default
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #409
københavneren
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 LCI 325D

Since i still got the ordinary cruise control arm, i tried to code the default distance.
It is actually possible to both change the default distance and minimum speed in the acc module.
But the problem is you can't save the settings to the ACC, since the ACC module doesn't support NETTODAT coding.

But however you can edit the minimum speed in the LDM module.
The lowest minimum speed before acc module gives an error is
20km/h
That's a lot better than the standard 30kn/h
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #410
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by københavneren View Post
Since i still got the ordinary cruise control arm, i tried to code the default distance.
It is actually possible to both change the default distance and minimum speed in the acc module.
But the problem is you can't save the settings to the ACC, since the ACC module doesn't support NETTODAT coding.

But however you can edit the minimum speed in the LDM module.
The lowest minimum speed before acc module gives an error is
20km/h
That's a lot better than the standard 30kn/h
Hello,
you mean you changed a parameter which is related to the minimum speed setting in LDM?
I found the related parameter called "V_WUNSCH_KMH_MIN" for the km/h. The current setting is wert_01 which is equal to 0x1E (30km/h). Did you change it to 0x14 (20km/h)?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #411
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here is a post showing some detail on what you are referring to. I had to do it on my LCI 335d non M-Sport as well.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=316
yes, updated the info. pls refer to the link above.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #412
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Does anyone know the size of the socket needed to turn the adjustment screws on the ACC sensors? It looks like a hex head, but the smallest socket I have is 4mm and that's too big. It looks like 2 or 2.5mm and I've never seen a hex head so small.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #413
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorg4 View Post
Does anyone know the size of the socket needed to turn the adjustment screws on the ACC sensors? It looks like a hex head, but the smallest socket I have is 4mm and that's too big. It looks like 2 or 2.5mm and I've never seen a hex head so small.
I bought this for the adjustment. what it called 'uxcell 3.5mm Non-Magnetic Tip Six Point Hex Nut Driver with 3-Inch Round Shaft'.
https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/image...1221090441.jpg
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #414
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, so it's 3.5mm. I'll see if I can find one locally in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:52 PM   #415
djt81185
Rep
Drives: B8S4 and TDi

I wonder how hard it would be to code stop and go on a car that has the acc from the factory. Would the sniffer setup still be needed?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #416
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt81185 View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to code stop and go on a car that has the acc from the factory. Would the sniffer setup still be needed?
In short, it would be very hard. The radar is not designed for short distance/low speed sensing, so the system does not support anything below around 20 km/h even through coding. Read through the thread, with some very extensive work around CAN bus sniffing and injecting etc almost anything can be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #417
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you too both of you aeroshurik and to hupchye

ps: I still have something to learn more, but this is just the beginning/ E90 320I
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
shannon1636.50
      01-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #418
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono0312 View Post
I bought this for the adjustment. what it called 'uxcell 3.5mm Non-Magnetic Tip Six Point Hex Nut Driver with 3-Inch Round Shaft'.
https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/image...1221090441.jpg
Just following up on this, I can confirm that my adjustment screw is indeed 3.5mm. Being that it's such a small size, I figured that it's important to buy a good quality screwdriver to ensure a good fit to avoid rounding the head on the screws. I'd also recommend spraying the threads with some kind of releasing agent where it meets the bracket (I used Plus Gas, not sure how widely available this is) as mine were a bit reluctant to turn.

I was pleased (and surprised) to find that Amazon sell a Wera 3.5mm screwdriver for less than £7 and on Prime so next day delivery. As most of you will know, Wera tools are very good quality, so if you're in the UK and need to adjust your ACC sensor I'd highly recommend getting this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Kraftf.../dp/B0001P17JW

My ACC is now working happily (at 3 bars distance, as I don't have the ACC stalk to adjust it). I'm going to try driving it for a while at 3 bars and maybe adjust the default via coding to 2. I'll then decide whether to look for an ACC stalk, as they seem to rarely come up and then often at a very high price. It might turn out that I don't really need to adjust it once I decide on a setting I'm happy with.
Appreciate 0