E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What part is this??

03-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Exclamation What part is this??

Hi, I recently changed my OFH gaskets. The pipe (part # 17127540127) that connects from the radiator to the oil filter start leaking so I ordered a new one. But, now the pipe the connects to the bottom of this new pipe (part # 17127540127) is leaking!?
I can't find seem to navigate to this part on realoem.

Does anyone know the part #?? or what this pipe is for?
Anyone know how i can get a O ring for this pipe in hopes that it will be enough to stop the leak?

Appreciate the help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

another pic from the bottom. its a slow leak from the connection
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

BMW has it listed as part of the HVAC system since it is a heater hose that goes to the heater core. It's P/N 64216983858. Maybe just try pulling out the o-ring and flipping it over and reseating the connector once again.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

That is the upper radiator hose! If you can't figure that out, perhaps you should not be working on your car, because you can do a LOT of damage....

It is about a $30 part. Replacing the O-ring is nuts - replace the entire hose. If that one is leaking, the others will not be far behind, so the smart move is to replace ALL of the coolant hoses, and not have to worry for another 10 years.

Regards,
Ray L.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
That is the upper radiator hose! If you can't figure that out, perhaps you should not be working on your car, because you can do a LOT of damage....It is about a $30 part. Replacing the O-ring is nuts - replace the entire hose. If that one is leaking, the others will not be far behind, so the smart move is to replace ALL of the coolant hoses, and not have to worry for another 10 years.
Oh Nurse -- Meds?

OP correctly identified (and ordered) a replacement Upper Radiator hose, P/N 17127540127. His question relates to the Heater Hose that attaches to the fitting of the Upper Radiator Hose, and "F30" correctly identified that part if OP wishes to replace it. F30 also correctly suggested that the photo attached to OP's second post suggests a leak, possibly from an ill-fitting o-ring, at that connector. Of course the plastic fitting may also be cracked, in which event a new hose WOULD be in order, but I certainly can't determine that from the photo, so OP has to inspect & determine. JB Weld or other expoxy is also a possible temporary fix if the plastic is in fact cracked.

While you ARE correct in suggesting that plastic hose fittings become brittle or crack after 10 years of heat cycles, particularly on the Turbo engine, it is often possible to extend hose useful life or fix a leak at a fitting by simply CAREFULLY disconnecting the plastic connector, removing the o-ring, lubricating it with petroleum jelly, and reinstalling it. Of course you ALWAYS risk cracking or breaking a plastic connector if you cannot gently twist or jiggle it to get it loose, and the way the fittings are "notched" to only install in a certain way can make it easy to get "ham-fisted" and break something if you are NOT aware of how the fitting is configured.

It is probably wise to disconnect a plastic fitting 10+ years old ONLY if you are aware of the possibility of damage during removal, and are prepared to get a replacement, but OP had already gotten into that situation, and appears to know what he is doing, at least as well as anyone who has never separated that particular fitting before.

Peace be with you,
George
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
drtmvr
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i SULEV

Bought this on ebay. Used a couple of them so far and they worked great. Hopefully it will contain the one you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Cooling...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
BMW has it listed as part of the HVAC system since it is a heater hose that goes to the heater core. It's P/N 64216983858. Maybe just try pulling out the o-ring and flipping it over and reseating the connector once again.
Thanks appreciate it!!! I tried flipping the o-ring already and it did not work =(. one side looks pretty worn out. a user below gave me an ebay link to bunch of o rings to maybe i will try that before buying the whole pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Oh Nurse -- Meds?

OP correctly identified (and ordered) a replacement Upper Radiator hose, P/N 17127540127. His question relates to the Heater Hose that attaches to the fitting of the Upper Radiator Hose, and "F30" correctly identified that part if OP wishes to replace it. F30 also correctly suggested that the photo attached to OP's second post suggests a leak, possibly from an ill-fitting o-ring, at that connector. Of course the plastic fitting may also be cracked, in which event a new hose WOULD be in order, but I certainly can't determine that from the photo, so OP has to inspect & determine. JB Weld or other expoxy is also a possible temporary fix if the plastic is in fact cracked.

While you ARE correct in suggesting that plastic hose fittings become brittle or crack after 10 years of heat cycles, particularly on the Turbo engine, it is often possible to extend hose useful life or fix a leak at a fitting by simply CAREFULLY disconnecting the plastic connector, removing the o-ring, lubricating it with petroleum jelly, and reinstalling it. Of course you ALWAYS risk cracking or breaking a plastic connector if you cannot gently twist or jiggle it to get it loose, and the way the fittings are "notched" to only install in a certain way can make it easy to get "ham-fisted" and break something if you are NOT aware of how the fitting is configured.

It is probably wise to disconnect a plastic fitting 10+ years old ONLY if you are aware of the possibility of damage during removal, and are prepared to get a replacement, but OP had already gotten into that situation, and appears to know what he is doing, at least as well as anyone who has never separated that particular fitting before.

Peace be with you,
George
lol yeah he didn't read that right. Thanks! i'm going to try to inspect it more once it stops raining to make sure its not cracked. right now i think replacing the o-ring should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtmvr View Post
Bought this on ebay. Used a couple of them so far and they worked great. Hopefully it will contain the one you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Cooling...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
Thanks! that seems like a life saver. i'm going to order just to keep them around.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've separated the fitting, but it was during a complete 9-hose retrofit of the cooling hoses. When I did the retrofit I tried to reuse the temperature probe in the lower rad. hose. It leaked. A new temp probe fixed the problem. The o-rings get hard is my bet.

DEAR BMW... JUST USE FRICKING REGULAR WURTH HOSE FRICKING CLAMPS
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0