E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > LCI M Sport Steering wheel fit on PRE-LCI?

09-09-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

LCI M Sport Steering wheel fit on PRE-LCI?

Hi All,

Two questions would an LCI sport steering wheel fit onto a pre LCI M Sport Steering wheel and the second question is, does the pre LCI air bag also fit into the LCI steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
309xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

I've never seen LCI mentioned in steering wheel conversations. I'm 99.9% sure you don't have to worry about it.

I just put an X1 wheel into my non-sport LCI and it was plug n play other than me messing up a little and setting the airbag code light off. It used a standard e90 sport airbag.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309xi View Post
I've never seen LCI mentioned in steering wheel conversations. I'm 99.9% sure you don't have to worry about it.

I just put an X1 wheel into my non-sport LCI and it was plug n play other than me messing up a little and setting the airbag code light off. It used a standard e90 sport airbag.
Good to know, I might remove my airbag and take a good look at the connector for both the steering wheel controls and the airbag itself. Judging from some eBay pics the airbags only seem different when going from SE to M Sport but Pre and LCI looked like the same air bag tbh.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

I have replaced the steering wheel on my E92 SE LCI with Msport version.

The airbags are identical and I just picked up a Msport wheel from local breakers.
I am not aware any difference on the basic Msport steering wheel from Pre-LCI to LCI.
I have seen few post mention upgrades on the paddle shift version though but could be mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
I have replaced the steering wheel on my E92 SE LCI with Msport version.

The airbags are identical and I just picked up a Msport wheel from local breakers.
I am not aware any difference on the basic Msport steering wheel from Pre-LCI to LCI.
I have seen few post mention upgrades on the paddle shift version though but could be mistaken.
The M-sport air bags are not the same as non M-sport. I have an SE with the non msport steering wheel, ive been looking to swap. To do so i would have to by msport steering wheel together with airbag as mine is much bigger than the msport version so wouldnt fit.

I hate my skinny wheel, last car had the msport steering wheel which feels so much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
309xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
The M-sport air bags are not the same as non M-sport. I have an SE with the non msport steering wheel, ive been looking to swap. To do so i would have to by msport steering wheel together with airbag as mine is much bigger than the msport version so wouldnt fit.

I hate my skinny wheel, last car had the msport steering wheel which feels so much nicer.
I suggest looking into an X1 wheel if you can't find or they're asking too much for an e9x sport wheel (and be sure to get a full sport wheel with the bolsters). I feel like I got a steal on mine as I paid pretty much what they sell the trim piece for at retail price. It's basically the M sport wheel with upgraded trim and takes the standard sport airbag which can be had for $125-200 (hopefully the same for across the pond) plus, I was able to retain my factory heated wheel function to boot. So so happy with the upgrade.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #7
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post

The E92/3 SE steering wheel is a strange one. Its not the same as the E90/1 SE wheel but same airbag as the Msport.
But the wheel made of hard plastic and slimmer than Msport.

I appreciate there is extra work invloved converting the E90/1 from SE to Msport.
Appreciate 1
ewanc2.50
      09-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

I went from an se wheel to a sport wheel on my pre lci e92. The airbag fitted perfectly. I’m not sure if lci wheels were any different were they? That X3 wheel looks interesting, is it much different to an m sport e9x jobbie?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
The E92/3 SE steering wheel is a strange one. Its not the same as the E90/1 SE wheel but same airbag as the Msport.
But the wheel made of hard plastic and slimmer than Msport.

I appreciate there is extra work invloved converting the E90/1 from SE to Msport.
Didn't realise they put different non sport steering wheels in the E92/3 cars compared to the E90/1 cars.
Appreciate 0