E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Automatic Transmission Tuning ZF6HP19 First Generation

01-31-2022, 07:14 AM   #243
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp0715 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Try this, You'll need to upload this file into your Bimmerlabs account and then have it process the file into a flashable 0DA file.

BTW, thanks the Diesel version of the GKE211 looks interesting.
Hello!
i did it, uploaded and downloaded it converted.
settings are good ...
But it does not work with icom and modified frimwares d-can cable also weave security acces in the end ...

idea?
Can you flash the stock file back into the transmission? If not, the problem is probably your pc set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:52 AM   #244
gp0715
Rep
Drives: E61 535D

Quote:
Can you flash the stock file back into the transmission? If not, the problem is probably your pc set up.
back yes, icom and d-can away too

idea?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #245
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
back yes, icom and d-can away too

idea?
Send me a link to your file? I'd like to look at it. Also your working stock file
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 11:18 AM   #246
gp0715
Rep

Quote:
Send me a link to your file? I'd like to look at it. Also your working stock file
this
Attached Files
File Type: zip 530xd.zip (189.4 KB, 60 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 06:34 PM   #247
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
this
?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:45 AM   #248
gp0715
Rep

Quote:
?
my attachment has everything in the zip
file
- factory
- What you sent
.bin
- bimmerlabs file
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #249
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
?
my attachment has everything in the zip
file
- factory
- What you sent
.bin
- bimmerlabs file
Little stumped right now.

I checked the files from Bimmerlabs and even cross checked the RSA and checksum with another tool and the files look good.
Are you flashing back to stock using bimmerlabs or just winfkp in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:58 AM   #250
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

This is slightly off topic, but I’m looking into software for running the 8HP45 in E9x.

rjahl do you have any insights into how the WinKFP .ipo files work?
I assume they define how to convert .0pa to binary, and how to write that binary data to the relevant ECU’s EEPROM?

Essentially, I’ve grabbed 05GKE233.ipo and want to reverse engineer it, in an attempt to write E-series firmware and bootloader to an F-series EGS
(of course, this relies on the assumption they use the same microcontroller and hardware. Seeing as the 8HP45 was used in late E-series and early F-series at the same time, it would make sense that they do? If you know otherwise, please tell).

Any tips? Or should I just throw it into Ghidra and go ham, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 07:40 PM   #251
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio View Post
This is slightly off topic, but I'm looking into software for running the 8HP45 in E9x.

rjahl do you have any insights into how the WinKFP .ipo files work?
I assume they define how to convert .0pa to binary, and how to write that binary data to the relevant ECU's EEPROM?

Essentially, I've grabbed 05GKE233.ipo and want to reverse engineer it, in an attempt to write E-series firmware and bootloader to an F-series EGS
(of course, this relies on the assumption they use the same microcontroller and hardware. Seeing as the 8HP45 was used in late E-series and early F-series at the same time, it would make sense that they do? If you know otherwise, please tell).

Any tips? Or should I just throw it into Ghidra and go ham, lol.
The .IPO files do very little, don't bother with them. You can get Winfkp to flash just about anything using Expert mode. Your problem will be getting the GKE to accept any file without a proper RSA signature.

It's the processor that checks the incoming flash for signature, not the flashing tool. Winfkp will flash a simple Intel Hex file that's formatted properly.

The ZF transmissions uses data compression on the fly. This means large section of the program files are compressed and unreadable. You'll need to decompress them before you can reverse engineer the code. Not easy.

Even if you unlock the GKE and locate all of the maps, you will struggle to a create tune for the N52. I don't think you will find any base tune that's similar to your needs. The torque curve one the N52 is so much different from any of the newer turbocharged motors that you will spend countless hours adjusting all of the maps to work correctly.

Keep in mind, you will be adjusting shift maps. At least three sets. Pressure and timing for upshift and down shift, three different modes and eight different gears. Plus TCC lock up maps, two complete sets, one for manual and another for drive.

Probably 150 maps to rebuild.

I had 70 versions of my GKE 211 and that was just tweaking a current production tune to something I liked.
Appreciate 1
cheerio143.50
      03-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #252
exoticmonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325xi

I am sorry but i am a newbie and while reading through the thread I ended up being hella confused. I have a 06 325xi with ZF transmission and have recently flashed 330xi tune. The car feels amazing but the transmission upshifts a lot even in S mode. I have replaced the Transmission fluid and filter hoping it would help. rjahl do you have a transmission tune that could help. I searched up the web and the only thing available is xHP and it is out of my budget. Any advice or help is welcome.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #253
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticmonkey View Post
I am sorry but i am a newbie and while reading through the thread I ended up being hella confused. I have a 06 325xi with ZF transmission and have recently flashed 330xi tune. The car feels amazing but the transmission upshifts a lot even in S mode. I have replaced the Transmission fluid and filter hoping it would help. rjahl do you have a transmission tune that could help. I searched up the web and the only thing available is xHP and it is out of my budget. Any advice or help is welcome.
Thank You
Not sure what you mean by upshifting a lot. If the transmission does not feel right, you probably have some maintenance items to deal with before thinking about a tune. It's clearly getting old enough to have seal leakage and even solenoid issues.

In any case, I never looked at the XI version of the ZF box. I don't recall even looking at the factory tunes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #254
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Thanks for the insight. I've since given up on the 8HP transplant; it's proven too hard to actually buy one for a reasonable price around here. Might try again in a couple years
As for the shift maps - N52B30 + 8HP45 was used in early F10 530i, so that would be a great starting point for anyone looking to try.

Quote:
The .IPO files do very little, don't bother with them. You can get Winfkp to flash just about anything using Expert mode. Your problem will be getting the GKE to accept any file without a proper RSA signature.

It's the processor that checks the incoming flash for signature, not the flashing tool. Winfkp will flash a simple Intel Hex file that's formatted properly.

The ZF transmissions uses data compression on the fly. This means large section of the program files are compressed and unreadable. You'll need to decompress them before you can reverse engineer the code. Not easy.

Even if you unlock the GKE and locate all of the maps, you will struggle to a create tune for the N52. I don't think you will find any base tune that's similar to your needs. The torque curve one the N52 is so much different from any of the newer turbocharged motors that you will spend countless hours adjusting all of the maps to work correctly.

Keep in mind, you will be adjusting shift maps. At least three sets. Pressure and timing for upshift and down shift, three different modes and eight different gears. Plus TCC lock up maps, two complete sets, one for manual and another for drive.

Probably 150 maps to rebuild.

I had 70 versions of my GKE 211 and that was just tweaking a current production tune to something I liked.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #255
Siller
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70&E91

Does anyone have xdf for older type 6hp19 gearbox? Newer "general 6hp" xdf does not suit.
Appreciate 1
rjahl996.00
      09-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #256
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siller View Post
Does anyone have xdf for older type 6hp19 gearbox? Newer "general 6hp" xdf does not suit.

I did all of my work in Winols, Never found the time or need to convert to an XDF. I've toyed around with creating scripts for the conversation but never found the time. Years back, I provided my files to a member who planned to do the conversion but I never heard back from him.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:31 AM   #257
Siller
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70&E91

Winols is also fine for me. I imported xdf file to a winols. If i could get a ols file I would appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:54 AM   #258
tino_tino
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 N52 3.0

I have a funny issue I'm trying to resolve and wonder if anybody has any ideas.

I fitted a differential from a 2005 320d to my 2005 330i.

With the original gearbox map for the 330i the shift points were all over the place. It did drive but had to use manual mode to do upshifts at the right time.

To try and improve the situation I uploaded the 320d map.

At present it does exactly what I want it to do as I converted the car for economy use and this was why I fitted the long diff. It shifts through all gears and never really goes above 3000rpm in ordinary daily driving.

Unfortunately, because it thinks it's a diesel it has cut the rev limit to about 4200rpm so the rest of my 3 litre petrol RPM range is inaccessible once in gear and driving on the road. (i.e. it'll rev in park or neutral).

So is there any way to edit the file for the 320d to tell it that my up shifts should take place at 6000rpm when at 80-110% throttle. This would have to be for all modes as it does the same thing in sports mode if you try to manually hang onto the gears.

The up-shifts do happen within the engine peak torque band but you don't get to hear any straight-6 noises and I think it would be a faster car if it could rev to the original rpm.

The other alternative would be if final drive could be edited in the original file. Whichever is easier. To me the 320d map seems more suited as it keeps the RPMs right down and picks up more firmly allowing less TC slip... just from seat of the pants feeling. But either map could work with the problems fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 11:55 AM   #259
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino_tino View Post
I have a funny issue I'm trying to resolve and wonder if anybody has any ideas.

I fitted a differential from a 2005 320d to my 2005 330i.

With the original gearbox map for the 330i the shift points were all over the place. It did drive but had to use manual mode to do upshifts at the right time.

To try and improve the situation I uploaded the 320d map.

At present it does exactly what I want it to do as I converted the car for economy use and this was why I fitted the long diff. It shifts through all gears and never really goes above 3000rpm in ordinary daily driving.

Unfortunately, because it thinks it's a diesel it has cut the rev limit to about 4200rpm so the rest of my 3 litre petrol RPM range is inaccessible once in gear and driving on the road. (i.e. it'll rev in park or neutral).

So is there any way to edit the file for the 320d to tell it that my up shifts should take place at 6000rpm when at 80-110% throttle. This would have to be for all modes as it does the same thing in sports mode if you try to manually hang onto the gears.

The up-shifts do happen within the engine peak torque band but you don't get to hear any straight-6 noises and I think it would be a faster car if it could rev to the original rpm.

The other alternative would be if final drive could be edited in the original file. Whichever is easier. To me the 320d map seems more suited as it keeps the RPMs right down and picks up more firmly allowing less TC slip... just from seat of the pants feeling. But either map could work with the problems fixed.
Frankly I think it would be way easier to adjust the shift points in the original 330I maps. You could change the Economy or D mode map to shift early and leave the rest near stock. Then the TCC maps would and need to be tightened for the Economy or D mode maps only. I hated the stock TCC maps anyways.

there are something like 9,000 maps and constants in the GKE211 tunes. torque converter power transfer curves, shift pressures, TCC min lock up temperatures, down shift on breaking, snow modes, max RPM, max safety rpm, shift rpm prediction, ETC and the diesel map is just too different.

tuning is fairly easy but It will take several different tunes to get it to a point that you're happy. Do you have any tuning experience? I could set you up with the WINOLS maps for the GKE211 and give you pointers but ultimately, the final set up needs to be developed by you.

Bimmerlabs has been set up for GKE211 programming and it works very well. Just start an account and download the correct ODA file make changes and upload the file back to Bimmerlabs. The tool will correct checksums and RSA signature and create a batch file that you could use to reflash the transmission with the "corrected" file.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #260
tino_tino
Rep

With the 320d map it does everything right except for the wide-open-throttle upshifts.

That's only one parameter that has to be adjusted? That should be easier than trying to edit the 330i file which was nowhere close to working properly.

Yes, it would be massively helpful if you could give some pointers on where to get WinOLS, how to get the map out of the daten (it seems the file names don't correspond with the names of the maps visible in the WinKFP). Then how to do basic editing and I'll see if I can do it.

I have done mapping in the past but was for fuel, ignition and boost maps.

I also used to make my own EPROMS with a chip burner. Some of them even worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 05:44 AM   #261
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
What ODA file number are you using?.

I can sssure you it not just a matter of lifting the height RPM limits.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #262
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
GKE 211 Diesel Maps

I Found a diesel ODA to look at,

Changing the RPM limits is not a simply changing a single cell value. Take a look at the two shift maps posted here. One is the normal 330 and the other from a diesel. You can see that there is a 3d (10x12) maps used to control the shift points in "E" map alone. 19 shift maps in total.

Map values are tail shaft RPM
X axis is TPS sensor value
Y is the shift operation, 1>2,2<1,2>3,3>2 and so on. No easy way to manually label the axes.

You can convert tail shaft RPM to engine RPM by multiplying the active gear ratio, however it's not perfect as the torque converter has an affect.

I did notice a few differences between the maps that I did not think about, Torque reduction during a shift. The diesel tune cuts more power during a shift. Also Expected operating temperatures and warm up operation maps are not correct.

Of course there is a safety RPM limit at 4600 RPM vs 6800 for the N52.

Nearly all the TCC maps are different and the maps used to calculate the characteristics of the torque converter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 01:46 AM   #263
tino_tino
Rep

It should be possible to transplant the upper shift values from the 330i map to the 320d map?

Original 330i is GKE211 > 7564078

Changed to 320d GKE211 > 7564110
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 01:49 AM   #264
tino_tino
Rep

Would it be worth adjusting the safety limit as a first step just to see if that is the primary mechanism causing early upshifts. Might be that easy!
Appreciate 0