E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Going into the 15K Service... with After-Market DP's?

10-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Going into the 15K Service... with After-Market DP's?

well although its around 10,000 miles away, im still curious and want to take precautions... also i have a couple questions. At the end of this month i will have RR 3-inchers on my car and am wondering a few things. God forbid, the o2 sensors melt or even throw a code at me, if i PAY bmw to replace/fix them, will my warenty be voided (im not saying the warenty on the o2 sensors, but the warenty on the engine/exhaust)... second question is lets say i have no codes or errors, and take the car in for the 15K mile service check-up, they will change oil and top it off, sure, but will they check my exhaust? will they check the o2 sensors for any reason? will they find out and void warentys? I read the unfortunate case of another member's warenty being voided over a procede... his whole engine/drivetrain warenty was voided... ive also heard they cant void warenty unless the product that is aftermarket is what contributed to the failure... so basically what im asking is if im safe to bring in the car for service check-ups with aftermarket DP s.... thanks in advance... i look forward to responses

PS: I just realized something... i read on the forums there is a service update that BMW is doing... something to the ECU i believe... will it screw with my turbo tuner when i put it on after the inspection?

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Never mind guys... i talked to the a service rep. he explained to me that if for instance the o2 sensors fail/melt/throw a code... warenty WILL be voided on the o2 sensors... if a rod blows through my block however AND it is the cause of the downpipes (or what ever mod) then warenty on the engine will be voided... so if you can spare some money IF the o2 sensors fail/melt, then you're ok warenty wise for aftermarket downpipes.

Although im kinda wondering why i got a lot of views but no insight or comments am i hated?

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
yes, you are hated to a point where we are so sick of hearing you bitch moan and complain.

LOL just playin' with you yeah, anything non OEM, bmw will void that warranty, be it the cause or not. thats just how they roll. u just better hope that shit doesnt happen, or, keep like 300 bucks stashed away for such emergencies. always good to be prepared. cheers!
      10-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
yes, you are hated to a point where we are so sick of hearing you bitch moan and complain.

LOL just playin' with you yeah, anything non OEM, bmw will void that warranty, be it the cause or not. thats just how they roll. u just better hope that shit doesnt happen, or, keep like 300 bucks stashed away for such emergencies. always good to be prepared. cheers!

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

sorry to bring this thread up but i just dropped my car off this morning (i have UR catless downpipes) for the 12k-15k, or so, oil change and they didnt say anything about the DPs. they will for sure see them too since they have to go under the car.

just make sure you have no CEL (obviously) before you enter the dealer and you should be good
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
sorry to bring this thread up but i just dropped my car off this morning (i have UR catless downpipes) for the 12k-15k, or so, oil change and they didnt say anything about the DPs. they will for sure see them too since they have to go under the car.

just make sure you have no CEL (obviously) before you enter the dealer and you should be good
They won't see them under the car while doing an oil change... the whole bottom of the car is covered. There is only a little trap door for them to get at the oil drain plug. They won't have taken off the underpanneling for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
They won't see them under the car while doing an oil change... the whole bottom of the car is covered. There is only a little trap door for them to get at the oil drain plug. They won't have taken off the underpanneling for an oil change.
they would see the o2 bungs (im not sure if thats what they are) but theres two wires that you can see clearly under the car now, now that i have catless DPs. i dont know much about downpipes though so im not sure what exactly they are

all i know is that my stock DPs didnt have them.

either way i didnt get any trouble from the dealer so im guessing everyone else would be okay. just as long as they dont have a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Just know that even though your mods are not throwing any codes right now, they could note that you have aftermarket parts so that in the future, if something does go out, they will know that you had aftermarket parts.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post

So your UR catless DPs didn't throw you a code at all after installation? Because I heard that having catless DPs might possibly throw a code.......I have an E90 335i.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Just know that even though your mods are not throwing any codes right now, they could note that you have aftermarket parts so that in the future, if something does go out, they will know that you had aftermarket parts.
oh yeah i know that, but the only mod that i have that can possibly throw a CEL is the downpipes. procede can be taken out easily and has never thrown any CELs or limps so thats another thing.

its just obvious that if you have a CEL for catalytic converters they will know you have downpipes where as there is no CEL, its harder to tell unless they look under the car and open the panel or possibly drive it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So your UR catless DPs didn't throw you a code at all after installation? Because I heard that having catless DPs might possibly throw a code.......I have an E90 335i.
they do throw CELs and/or limp modes but you can just clear the codes with a c reader. you can also get the CELs tuned out. i believe terry is making a simm for the o2s right now...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #11
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I was under the impression warranty could be void due to not having the cats on there for emission standards. So does this also apply to exhausts too (eg. Vishnu, Eisenhaus, UR etc..)?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

jeez...you people worry so much!

As Ive stated various times...the dealership doesnt really care unless they are tight on money. My dealership could care less. Ive never heard of 02 sensors melting before...

If I had CEL on for catless downpipes, they would just clear it for me and I would be on my way. NOTHING is going to happen to your car...unless the install of your DPs was fucked up.

If terry comes out with a simm for catless dps, I would run them without a second thought. if I still have a problem with CEL, I have friends in the dealership who can clear codes for me without a charge lol....its nice to make connections while you work there...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Just remember, each dealership could be a different story.
Appreciate 0