E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW Warranty Issues - Leaking Trans

10-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #23
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Just reading this makes me mad. Your car should be covered regardless on where you bought it. Who would have a new car's leaky transmission repaired at an other place than a dealership knowing this is warranty work? Non-sense.

Good luck with it all.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #24
ScrewedByBMW
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Possible Good News

I had further discussions with Edmonton BMW and spent a fair bit of time with the service manager. He treated me fairly and with respect. In the end, we agreed that something was odd but we will never know why. He hears my arguement that BMW should be responsible irregardless (you have already read my side). I hear his concern about taking on this odd issue and making it his.

In the end BMW has come thorugh and is agreeing to fix the leaks under warranty. They are not going to put in a new transmission, but will fix all three leaks.

The work is scheduled to be completed on October 18th. I am sure they will follow through with their word and I will have no unpleasant surprises. Thanks for following along and I will keep you informed until this closes. Hopefully then I will be able to change my screen name.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #25
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewedByBMW View Post
I had further discussions with Edmonton BMW and spent a fair bit of time with the service manager. He treated me fairly and with respect. In the end, we agreed that something was odd but we will never know why. He hears my arguement that BMW should be responsible irregardless (you have already read my side). I hear his concern about taking on this odd issue and making it his.

In the end BMW has come thorugh and is agreeing to fix the leaks under warranty. They are not going to put in a new transmission, but will fix all three leaks.

The work is scheduled to be completed on October 18th. I am sure they will follow through with their word and I will have no unpleasant surprises. Thanks for following along and I will keep you informed until this closes. Hopefully then I will be able to change my screen name.

Good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #26
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Great news. I have personally had good luck with their service department.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #27
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Glad to hear - Same old song and dance though!!

Imagine how many people might have taken BMW's initial ruling as gospel!

Good job
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #28
thw420
Rep
Drives: 335i

It's interesting that when they wanted you to pay for it, you needed an entire replacement transmission, but now that BMW is paying the bill, a replcaement is not necessary.

Also, with the bolts - who is to say they didn't throw a wrench on those bolts themselves to make it look like they had been removed before?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #29
ScrewedByBMW
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Angry Edmonton BMW: incompetent or criminal??

It has been a couple of months since I last posted. I thought I would update on my pain with dealing with BMW.

My last update I stated that all was well and after meeting with Norm (Service Manager at Edmonton BMW), they would cover the repairs to the transmission. That was Oct 4th. At the time I was told the parts were in as a result of the original service.

The first available appointment was Oct 18th. On the day before, I was told some of the required parts were not in yet (I thought parts were in on the 4th). The next appointment was set for Nov 7th.

On the 7th, I dropped off the car. I was in for the day when I was told to come and pick it up - but unfortunately they were unable to work on it because they did not order one of the required parts. The next appointment was scheduled for Dec 11th.

I dropped off the car and was surprised when I was told the car was fixed and to come and pick it up. When I picked it up I was presented a bill for $750.00. I told them I had an agreement with Norm that the work was going to be covered. She left and came back a few minutes later stating she had no knowledge of this agreement and Norm was gone. I would have to leave my CC# to take the car. She was not going to enter the transaction until she discussed with Norm.

I never did hear back from Edmonton BMW. Three days later I had an invoice on my visa for $750.00. I have not yet been able to contact Norm. I am sure he is going to say he never agreed to cover the work. Obviously I should have gotten something in writing.

Edmonton BMW has been incompetent and untrustworthy. BMW has been ignorant and useless. I cannot see how they can stay in business.

I noticed three days after getting the car back the oil light came on to add one quart - coincidence???
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #30
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Oh geez... just read whole thread. Sorry to hear about your troubles bro. I really don't know what you can do other than hire a lawyer. Hopefully you can contact this Norm guy and get it straightened out before it gets to that point.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:03 AM   #31
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Spread the word - BMW of Edmonton blows goats
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #32
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewedByBMW View Post
I never did hear back from Edmonton BMW. Three days later I had an invoice on my visa for $750.00. I have not yet been able to contact Norm. I am sure he is going to say he never agreed to cover the work. Obviously I should have gotten something in writing.

Edmonton BMW has been incompetent and untrustworthy. BMW has been ignorant and useless. I cannot see how they can stay in business.

I noticed three days after getting the car back the oil light came on to add one quart - coincidence???
You can always try calling CC and tell them not to authorize the charge after getting your car back.

Quote:
This wasn't confirmed by BMWNA? This was solely verbal agreement with Edmonton? I would call BMWNA and make sure Edmonton didn't file an warranty work with them as well
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #33
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Call the credit card company and tell them that you did not authorize the charge.

Get a hold of Norm... tell him what is going on and that you are not paying anything out of pocket as per your agreement. You may want a tape recorder in your pocket for this meeting?

After you tell the credit card company that you didn't authorize the charge and they get in touch with Edmonton BMW, Norm may call you...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #34
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Call the credit card company and tell them that you did not authorize the charge.

Get a hold of Norm... tell him what is going on and that you are not paying anything out of pocket as per your agreement. You may want a tape recorder in your pocket for this meeting?

After you tell the credit card company that you didn't authorize the charge and they get in touch with Edmonton BMW, Norm may call you...
Good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #35
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Marks on the bolts are most likely paint pen marks. They use them in the factory to mark bolts that have been torque checked. Certain bolts need the torque check, some don't.

I didn't see any particular marks or rounding. The nuts in the last pic looked like weld nuts - looked like tac welds around the base.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #36
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I highly doubt the credit card company will revese the charge. The only chance would be to point out that you left the card # as collateral to a conversation with the Service Manager about covered work, and he will now not return your calls.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #37
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I highly doubt the credit card company will revese the charge. The only chance would be to point out that you left the card # as collateral to a conversation with the Service Manager about covered work, and he will now not return your calls.
what the company will do is suspend the charge and contact the dealer. They will give the dealer a chance to prove (with evidence) that the charge is correct... The OP will have to tell the card company exactly that the card# was collateral for the conversation which has not yet occurred.

if getting in contact with Norm thru the normal channels doesn't work, this will certainly make it back to him or to the General Manager of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #38
gunner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
This really sucks. You have a 2007 BMW and it should be covered with no questions asked IMO. Who in their right mind would have work done on a car by someone other than BMW when it is covered under warranty!

I would definitely protest the charge. Tell the dealership to take you to small claims court and let a judge decide if you should pay.

Find a judge that owns a BMW though.

Did you sign the invoice when you picked it up? If you did then you may have signed away your right to challenge the charge on your CC.

That is the last time I would have anything to do with that Dealership and I would go way out of my way to let everyone in town know about it.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #39
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Bastards!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #40
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Discuss this with the Edmonton Better Business Bureau. The Govt agency that licences car dealers may be interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #41
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
Discuss this with the Edmonton Better Business Bureau. The Govt agency that licences car dealers may be interested in this.

Powerless.....contact BMW Group HQ in Whitby Ontario.
      12-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #42
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
Indeed...essentially powerless...I would go straight to BMW Group Canada... I would not inform the dealer of this....If the dealership is part of a franchise as (ie. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....&p=irol-irhome) many here in the US are. Call them as well. Everyone has a boss and its always in your best interest to take it at least 2 levels higher.

BMW Canada
920 Champlain Court
Whitby, Ontario
L1N 6K9

Phone: 1-800-567-2691*
Fax: 905-428-5410
Hours of operation: Our bilingual customer service representatives are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 8:00pm, and Friday from 9:00am to 6:00pm (Eastern time).

*Please note: All calls are recorded for quality assurance purposes and in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
      12-23-2007, 12:57 AM   #43
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post

GREAT idea. Totally didn't think about that. I did that once and the CC company was all over the vendor I had the dispute with. Next thing I know, the vendor gave in........CC companies don't like fraud or unauthorized billings, so you report this as an unauthorized charge they can't charge you till the dispute is resolved, which will make them very unhappy, which will make them very aggressive with NORM and the rest of the crew at the dealer.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #44
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
GREAT idea. Totally didn't think about that. I did that once and the CC company was all over the vendor I had the dispute with. Next thing I know, the vendor gave in........CC companies don't like fraud or unauthorized billings, so you report this as an unauthorized charge they can't charge you till the dispute is resolved, which will make them very unhappy, which will make them very aggressive with NORM and the rest of the crew at the dealer.
Exactly. This is the best course of action, I believe. I know from experience that it works to for the same things that you said! Funny how when you try to touch a dealer's pocket book they spring into action!

Definately call teh Credit Card company and report as an unauthorized billing.
Appreciate 0