E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Stage 2 Pure Turbo swap for N55

11-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #23
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

The guy in this thread Kamfa has a PTF protune with his Stage 2 turbo that put out 450-460whp and 480-490wtq on 93 pump(he's also xDrive). I'd say that's pretty good in line with the JB4 if you're tuning options are between the two for pump only.

I'd start selling the Cobb though either way, make some money back because I'm sure MHD will come up with developments next year by Q2 or Q3 for the N55(IMO that's what I'd do).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #24
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
The guy in this thread Kamfa has a PTF protune with his Stage 2 turbo that put out 450-460whp and 480-490wtq on 93 pump(he's also xDrive). I'd say that's pretty good in line with the JB4 if you're tuning options are between the two for pump only.

I'd start selling the Cobb though either way, make some money back because I'm sure MHD will come up with developments next year by Q2 or Q3 for the N55(IMO that's what I'd do).
have they announced something official yet ? i cant wait
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #25
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
have they announced something official yet ? i cant wait
Just that they'll look into the N55 in Q1 to see what costs and developments would be available.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #26
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Lol alright buddy. Show me those pro tuned stages 2s then. A JB4 is perfectly capable of getting the most out of a stage 2 currently.
I ran an E50 protune as a DD map a month ago. While it is no where near the JB4 potential due to Cobb's lack of N55 support, I can say that the low end power/torque delivery was much better than the JB4.

Could I run more that 19-20 psi, nope, DME runs blind. Do I need more than 20 psi for a daily driver, nope. Sadly, I am back in the great State of Montana and the closest source of E85 is a couple hours away so I am back to the JB4 and Meth...

I look forward to the day when Cobb supports the N55 the way the N54 is supported.
      11-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #27
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacE90 View Post
I ran an E50 protune as a DD map a month ago. While it is no where near the JB4 potential due to Cobb's lack of N55 support, I can say that the low end power/torque delivery was much better than the JB4.

Could I run more that 19-20 psi, nope, DME runs blind. Do I need more than 20 psi for a daily driver, nope. Sadly, I am back in the great State of Montana and the closest source of E85 is a couple hours away so I am back to the JB4 and Meth...

I look forward to the day when Cobb supports the N55 the way the N54 is supported.
It'll never happen. Cobb doesn't really do much for the N55. Just wait more developments for flashing are coming. JB4 should suffice till then!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #28
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It'll never happen. Cobb doesn't really do much for the N55. Just wait more developments for flashing are coming. JB4 should suffice till then!
More like they don't do shite. I went on a letter writing campaign for a while trying to get someone at Cobb to throw the community a bone but all I got in return was "I'll be sure to pass that along to the higher ups." Just tell me to f-off instead...
      11-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #29
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
More like they don't do shite. I went on a letter writing campaign for a while trying to get someone at Cobb to throw the community a bone but all I got in return was "I'll be sure to pass that along to the higher ups." Just tell me to f-off instead...
One reason why I am selling my Cobb as we speak. MHD might have something for us next year to use with upgraded turbo and other parameters.

I'm just going to get a JB4 instead.
VRSF 7" IC, VRSF CP, aFe panel filter, VRSF DP, Pure Inlet Pipe, MHD/Twisted Tuned, Performance Exhaust, Koni Yellows on Eibach Pro Kit springs, Turner adjustable front endlinks, R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk 5.0 pads, VMR's 710, Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP, 3.5 TMAP, CYBA 3.8" black chrome exhaust tips, Orange Vinyl Wrap, CF bits, coding, Pure Stage 2 turbo w/ DV+(NGK plugs), xHP trans flash, and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #30
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One reason why I am selling my Cobb as we speak. MHD might have something for us next year to use with upgraded turbo and other parameters.

I'm just going to get a JB4 instead.
Probably the smart route to take. I'm stubborn and will probably hang on to mine until it is worth nothing Besides, I see a custom back end flash in my future as the off the shelf JB4 flashes do not work as well on my car as they do on other N55 cars with Pure S2. Now to find a good source of E100 I can have shipped to my house!!
      11-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
kamfa39
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Black Sapphire

Hey did you guys hear moving forward Cobb is not supporting BMW, specifically the 335 platform? My buddy shot me a thread from n54 tech?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #32
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamfa39 View Post
Hey did you guys hear moving forward Cobb is not supporting BMW, specifically the 335 platform? My buddy shot me a thread from n54 tech?
Yes. That's the reason why I'm selling it. I'm getting a JB4 and I'll wait till MHD does something for us to use both in conjunction for the Stage 2 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #33
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
Six months? No

Last time I heard it was 2 weeks turn around time from PURE.

You buy the turbo, pay the core charge. Receive turbo, install PS2, ship Oem back to pure and they refund your card the core charge you paid once the Oem turbo is received.

Newguy, you left out the part that in not one single case has anyone that has gone with the Pure 2 ever regretted the upgrade. Anyone with any interest whatever in increasing their current power level, and may have potential future aspirations, must install it and grow the power as they see fit. I am hovering around 400 hp. When my CPO lapses, in goes the catless downpipe, ******, and 19 psi via JB4. May I see 490 on 93 octane? We'll soon see.
Wait are you running stock turbo now?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #34
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamfa39
Not supporting newer BMW or completely stopping all shit that's out already??
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #35
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Quote:
There are no problems running the stage 2. Since you are MT you will need to get an upgraded clutch. There haven't been any AT problems for N55s yet.

You will need a better IC and proper fuel to reach 520whp.
Incorrect. The n55 6at uses the same old 6at tranny on the n54... they all start to fail when pushing big power... and no, i'm not saying this because i'm a 6mt fan boy.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #36
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
Incorrect. The n55 6at uses the same old 6at tranny on the n54... they all start to fail when pushing big power... and no, i'm not saying this because i'm a 6mt fan boy.
I never said we have a different AT than N54s. But how many N55s are over 600whp where the 6AT has shown to fail? An absolutely maxed out stage 2 might reach 600whp with future tuning advances.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #37
kamfa39
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Not supporting newer 335...
I would assume no upgrades on current OTS maps, but also assume with a protune you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #38
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamfa39
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Not supporting newer 335...
I would assume no upgrades on current OTS maps, but also assume with a protune you will be fine.
Yeah that definitely makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #39
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:

Here is an official statement I received from Cobb/Jared this morning:

Brian,

Truth be told we never tell a customer to F-Off and every single one of the requests for features/additional support, etc, are actually forwarded/discussed and logged. The bottom line is a lot of the general public tends to believe COBB is this huge corporate entity with endless pockets and resources. In reality, we're still a fairly small business with only 80ish people here at our Austin HQ which includes our full staffs for customer service , warehouse, shipping, production, accounting, and finally, engineering. When you start looking at those numbers, you realize we aren't sitting on teams of 20 engineers per platform ready to jump on every request or new vehicle. We have to very carefully pick and choose the vehicles we support and use the resources we have as carefully as possible, otherwise, we won't end up being in business at all.

Which...brings us to BMW and COBB's BMW support. The truth to the story here is we won't be adding any additional N55 features or vehicle support in the foreseeable future because the cost to benefit is so poor. The BMW platform is one of our most expensive, research and development wise, to get support up and running for, and even more so to continue to keep support going. Couple that with sales that don't support the resources we have to devote to the platform and inevitable solution is something has to give. I assure you, there are TONS of people in this building who pushed, and still push, for finishing out N55 support for the E9X platforms, getting support for the new F8X M3/M4, etc etc etc but we just don't have the resources available to devote to it at this time. Hopefully it's something we're able to revisit at a later date but with BMW leading the push for high level encryption, providing support and new features for any BMW will continue to be a very expensive proposition with diminishing returns as other market alternatives pirate our hard work and drive pricing down.

Wish I had better news for you but if you have any additional questions, just let me know!

Thank you,
Jared
ph: 866-922-3059

web | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #40
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol alright buddy. Show me those pro tuned stages 2s then. A JB4 is perfectly capable of getting the most out of a stage 2 currently.
JB4 is okay but a ProTune will get you smoother power delivery and a map optimized for your mods. I had JB4 for almost a year during which I did various mods including Pure stage 1. It all worked well. But then I decided to try a PTF ProTune and I realized what I had been missing.

Think about how many thousands of dollars you are spending on the Pure turbos and other mods. If you buy a Cobb AP + ProTune from PTF, its only a few hundred dollars more than a JB4. It doesn't make sense to cheap out when it comes to the tune.

Also, most people who run JB4 with a Pure Turbos upgrade run a BMS backend flash, which means they bought a Cobb AP to install the backend flash. If you are going to buy a Cobb AP for the backend flash anyway, why not just get a custom tune?
      12-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #41
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
JB4 is okay but a ProTune will get you smoother power delivery and a map optimized for your mods. I had JB4 for almost a year during which I did various mods including Pure stage 1. It all worked well. But then I decided to try a PTF ProTune and I realized what I had been missing.

Think about how many thousands of dollars you are spending on the Pure turbos and other mods. If you buy a Cobb AP + ProTune from PTF, its only a few hundred dollars more than a JB4. It doesn't make sense to cheap out when it comes to the tune.

Also, most people who run JB4 with a Pure Turbos upgrade run a BMS backend flash, which means they bought a Cobb AP to install the backend flash. If you are going to buy a Cobb AP for the backend flash anyway, why not just get a custom tune?
Can i ask what bothered you the most about the jb4 and is cobb that smoother ? I heard cobb maps are less powerful and only a protune is worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #42
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:

Because the BEF is free, from Terry. I've had both. Yes, power delivery is smooth but unfortunately those tuners have issues revising the map over and over. Ask me how I know. Personally, for a free BEF that is a win-win situation. MHD will be the answer as long as all parameters are put out for a flashing tool. Until then we must wait for a better tool IMO. I did however enjoy the Cobb because it logs all cylinders for timing whereas I can't for the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:

There are plenty of people that bought a COBB to do a backend flash, yes. But are they actually running one? NO. Currently the ones pushing the limit of a stage 2 are only running a JB4. Probably can actually learn something over on n 5 4 tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #44
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

for N55 JB4 takes a shit on cobb. i run both using a custom BEF from Terry, if you are pushing the button and running an e50 mix you will get a bunch of codes flash only. houtan has used wedge, PTF and JB4/BEF combo. he has paid for all of the tunes and gone back to jb4. they couldnt get the car to run without throwing codes on e50
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0