E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2k Miles - WaveTrack Differential Install and Results

09-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #23
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

yes, on a 6MT there's nothing to muffle that noise....6ATs have the torque converter which silences it...its perfectly normal and doesn't happen all the time...i don't even notice it anymore honestly...i've done at least a thousand very hard pulls with it, many launches, hard 1st and 2nd gear pulls and with the DSS axles out back this unit didn't even flinch ever...then there's the accelerating out of corners in 1st and 2nd gear, when those tires come loose the rear comes out and you still keep accelerating, man, its intoxicating...definitely my #1 favourite mod!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
99three
Banned
Rep
Drives: 993, e92, e36, F355, Z32, Jag

Definitely my next over-the-winter mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
Will335i
The Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 07' 335i

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [1.00]
I think you guys have me convinced. I have a few questions though. What did they have to machine? I am guessing you have a welded diff. I have a 07 6at so I believe mine is not welded. I was thinking about doing this myself if that is the case. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I just find a shop? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I'm so envious of those who have this! I just wish there was a more cost-effective way for us with welded diffs. I usually have pretty deep pockets when it comes to mods but man!.....the way I see it unless you have an awesome local machine shop with experience in dealing with welded diffs, you have to go the swap route:

Wavetrac = $2000 /Quaife = $2600
Core = $1000
Shipping x2 = $200
M3 subframe bushings = $250
Install, fluids, etc = $800-$1000?

So you're looking at a $4,500-$5,000 initial outlay! You get $1,000 of that back with the core but since you can't sell a car without a diff, you can't even recoup any of the costs back when you sell your car.

At an absolute min, I guess you could go Wavetrac, skip the bushings and install it yourself for a bit over $2k. Am I missing something?
wow !!! im assuming you have a welded ring gear? I remember doing all the research in which models were welded but i forgot now. I had a bolted ring gear my wavetrac plus install (at HP autowerks) was $1,795.00. Everyday I drive it I cant believe what a performance difference it has made. I have a hard time keeping my girl from driving the car everyday.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
ManyMoonsAgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I'm so envious of those who have this! I just wish there was a more cost-effective way for us with welded diffs. I usually have pretty deep pockets when it comes to mods but man!.....the way I see it unless you have an awesome local machine shop with experience in dealing with welded diffs, you have to go the swap route:

Wavetrac = $2000 /Quaife = $2600
Core = $1000
Shipping x2 = $200
M3 subframe bushings = $250
Install, fluids, etc = $800-$1000?

So you're looking at a $4,500-$5,000 initial outlay! You get $1,000 of that back with the core but since you can't sell a car without a diff, you can't even recoup any of the costs back when you sell your car.

At an absolute min, I guess you could go Wavetrac, skip the bushings and install it yourself for a bit over $2k. Am I missing something?
If you are going to install the M3 sub-frame bushings (which requires lowering/dropping the rear sub-frame), you might as well install the M3 rear sway bar so you only have to pay once to have the rear sub-frame lowered/dropped.

Also, the LSD is by far the best mod I have done to any car I have modified. It is really difficult to overstate how the LSD improved my 335i, but here is an idea:
1) From a dead stop
Before the LSD, I had to carefully ease the throttle in as the car could not handle the power and traction/stability control would inevitably kick in and alternate sending power to each of the rear wheels. This would cause a good 30 yards of fishtailing from a stop with the dash's stability control light flashing at you. After the LSD, it is nearly impossible to reproduce this behavior; the car just goes straight off the line with no drama.

2) In a spirited turn
Before the LSD, again, you had to be gentle on the throttle; any major throttle input resulted in the car losing traction and the stability control would neuter power inputs. After the LSD, even with the nannies on, you can actually steer the car with not just the steering wheel but the throttle as well. You can actively bring the car's butt through turns with the throttle and power out of turns in ways that were impossible with the open differential.

Be warned though, the LSD is a gateway drug that will probably lead to more and more 'improvements'.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #28
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMoonsAgo View Post
If you are going to install the M3 sub-frame bushings (which requires lowering/dropping the rear sub-frame), you might as well install the M3 rear sway bar so you only have to pay once to have the rear sub-frame lowered/dropped.

Also, the LSD is by far the best mod I have done to any car I have modified. It is really difficult to overstate how the LSD improved my 335i, but here is an idea:
1) From a dead stop
Before the LSD, I had to carefully ease the throttle in as the car could not handle the power and traction/stability control would inevitably kick in and alternate sending power to each of the rear wheels. This would cause a good 30 yards of fishtailing from a stop with the dash's stability control light flashing at you. After the LSD, it is nearly impossible to reproduce this behavior; the car just goes straight off the line with no drama.

2) In a spirited turn
Before the LSD, again, you had to be gentle on the throttle; any major throttle input resulted in the car losing traction and the stability control would neuter power inputs. After the LSD, even with the nannies on, you can actually steer the car with not just the steering wheel but the throttle as well. You can actively bring the car's butt through turns with the throttle and power out of turns in ways that were impossible with the open differential.

Be warned though, the LSD is a gateway drug that will probably lead to more and more 'improvements'.
+1 Good description. It led me to meth.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #29
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Similar....yes....OEM'd. I paid <$1800.00 out the door including sales tax for the Wavetrac.
I got the Dinan for just under 2k and I do all my own work so I couldn't pass it up. Otherwise I was looking for a clutch type diff, but waiting for some more long term data on the OS giken for our cars.

On a separate note, unless there's been a price change, the M bushings are gonna be at least $400-450 on a good price... Do a rear sway together if an LSD is in place. The cars seem love them
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #30
guidance
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, 335i

Have mine installed almost a year ago. At the time there was a few stories about installs gone wrong making loud noises etc. Recorded the stock diff under different conditions (accelleration, downshifting, coasting, normal driving) and had Fall Line install the Wavetrac. I can tell you that the Wavetrac was slightly quieter under all conditions. On the Track, it's awesome....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #31
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
I think you guys have me convinced. I have a few questions though. What did they have to machine? I am guessing you have a welded diff. I have a 07 6at so I believe mine is not welded. I was thinking about doing this myself if that is the case. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I just find a shop? Thanks
I have 07 6AT and yes it was not welded either.
      09-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #32
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
dzenno,

Do you still get the thud when you put it in gear? Was around to watch a wavetrac install last weekend (a transplant, so not the newest version of wavetrac) and when clutch is depressed moving it from neutral to 1st you hear a thud. It worked perfectly on the street, just a little sound to deal with.
Yep, I get the Thud too... only in first, you get used to it... as dzenno said, I am 6mt and I think it only applies to us. You get used to it... but I would prefer that it isn't there. No other noise anywhere else. I can't wait for winter too.

If you are going to spend the money and do this mod... you HAVE to get the subframe bushings done. The car squishes around under load. Not any more. Rock solid, better stability and straight line tracking under heavy braking too. The car now goes where you pointed it, and stays there. Hardly ANY tramlining now, unless the ruts are big, and I think any car would tramline there too.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #33
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
Did the Quaife about 2 month ago and I couldn't be happier. I have not seen the E-diff light once since the install. I had HP Autowerks install the diff. and went back after 1,100 miles to have them change the fluid. Top notch service, and very knowledgeable about our cars.

I have KW coil-overs, and with the Quaife I may be about done with suspension mods. If I decide to add to the car, I may do some M3 bits. At this time I am very happy with the improvement in performance. The changes make my car feel the way it should have been all along in the corners, and I am able to make full use of the power without the E-diff getting in the way!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Yep, I get the Thud too... only in first, you get used to it... as dzenno said, I am 6mt and I think it only applies to us. You get used to it... but I would prefer that it isn't there. No other noise anywhere else. I can't wait for winter too.

If you are going to spend the money and do this mod... you HAVE to get the subframe bushings done. The car squishes around under load. Not any more. Rock solid, better stability and straight line tracking under heavy braking too. The car now goes where you pointed it, and stays there. Hardly ANY tramlining now, unless the ruts are big, and I think any car would tramline there too.
No thud here....purchased Wavetrac a few weeks back.
Appreciate 0