E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > NCS Dummy Export Question

12-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

NCS Dummy Export Question

I disassembled a trc file using NCS Dummy to change some values. The change took effect and was reflected in the Modules and Traces. Then when the file is exported to the Work folder the file only has the data value that was changed - not the full file.

Thought it might be something related to the dis and reassembly so tried just changing a value in Modules and Traces. Again same result - only the changed values are in the exported file.

Logic tells me if I coded this 99.99% empty file into the car, it would kill everything except the value in MAN file.

I am doing this as a dry run (not connected) just in case I mess up anything.
      12-09-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I disassembled a trc file using NCS Dummy to change some values. The change took effect and was reflected in the Modules and Traces. Then when the file is exported to the Work folder the file only has the data value that was changed - not the full file.

Thought it might be something related to the dis and reassembly so tried just changing a value in Modules and Traces. Again same result - only the changed values are in the exported file.

Logic tells me if I coded this 99.99% empty file into the car, it would kill everything except the value in MAN file.

I am doing this as a dry run (not connected) just in case I mess up anything.
Just read the trc file and open it in notepad. Make your changes then save as FSW_PSW.MAN.

Use NCS Dummy as a reference to find / understand functions and parameters. That's how I do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Just read the trc file and open it in notepad. Make your changes then save as FSW_PSW.MAN.

Use NCS Dummy as a reference to find / understand functions and parameters. That's how I do it.
For simple on-off coding yes as it helps find the parameter to code as as you showed me for the self dimming mirrors.

You probably know this - NCS Dummy is much more powerful than just a translation tool. I'm trying to code the one touch blinker to more than 3. It can be done by pulling, comparing and changing nettodat files OR disassembling the trc file with NCS Dummy. I assume NCS Dummy does the disassembly and re-assembly by somehow manipulating the nettodat or some other file associated with the trc. files.

I found this video that explains how to do that. It isn't too clear to a novice like myself, but, I got all the steps to work.... I think.

The problem I have is the reason for the original post. The exported file only has lines for the parameter that has been changed. I was hoping someone who uses NCS Dummy has opened their Man. file after the export and can tell me this is normal or what I'm doing wrong.
      12-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

For simple on-off coding yes as it helps find the parameter to code as as you showed me for the self dimming mirrors.

You probably know this - NCS Dummy is much more powerful than just a translation tool. I'm trying to code the one touch blinker to more than 3. It can be done by pulling, comparing and changing nettodat files OR disassembling the trc file with NCS Dummy. I assume NCS Dummy does the disassembly and re-assembly by somehow manipulating the nettodat or some other file associated with the trc. files.

I found this video that explains how to do that. It isn't too clear to a novice like myself, but, I got all the steps to work.... I think.

The problem I have is the reason for the original post. The exported file only has lines for the parameter that has been changed. I was hoping someone who uses NCS Dummy has opened their Man. file after the export and can tell me this is normal or what I'm doing wrong.
Of course I understand

But you don't disassemble trc files. There are 2 ways to achieve what you want.

1. Nettodat coding
2. Daten disassembly

Daten disassembly is what I prefer. You actually modify the daten file. Install what functions / parameters you want and then read and write module coding as normal. Your new functions / parameters will appear in the trc file.

Forget guides. Read the NCS Dummy PDF by revtor. Everything is explained.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I did it correctly - disassembled the daten and wrote it back in to the daten files - just wrote it wrong. I know just enough to be dangerous.

I discovered my problem was fundamental - was loading in the wrong FRM. When I first go to read the FRM in NCSE it shows abd.CO9. After it reads the correct one shows up.

It seems to work now so now I need to get the nerve to do it. This is one trivial feature I think is nice.

I noticed there are 4 places for the blink count. Three of them seem to be associated to a key. One has nothing like that. Should I change the wert 2 count for all 4?
      12-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I did it correctly - disassembled the daten and wrote it back in to the daten files - just wrote it wrong. I know just enough to be dangerous.

I discovered my problem was fundamental - was loading in the wrong FRM. When I first go to read the FRM in NCSE it shows abd.CO9. After it reads the correct one shows up.

It seems to work now so now I need to get the nerve to do it. This is one trivial feature I think is nice.

I noticed there are 4 places for the blink count. Three of them seem to be associated to a key. One has nothing like that. Should I change the wert 2 count for all 4?
Personally, I change Wert 01 for this. Because when you default code the FRM, it sets it Wert 1. So, that's less values for you to manually change.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Personally, I change Wert 01 for this. Because when you default code the FRM, it sets it Wert 1. So, that's less values for you to manually change.
Good point except with idrive changing from 1 to 2 is easy - right?

And would you change all the values (plain one and the 3 apparently tied to a key)?
      12-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Good point except with idrive changing from 1 to 2 is easy - right?

And would you change all the values (plain one and the 3 apparently tied to a key)?
I'm almost certain you can change the options through iDrive. You have the setting for each key, then the other is "default option".
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I have 2 E89 daten files. One is around 10gb in a separate folder in my C drive that was downloaded separately from Std Tools. The other is much smaller and is within the NCS Expert folder.

When you load a module file into NCS Dummy, I think the file is from the Daten within NCS Expert. Is the correct? When does the large separate Daten file get used?

Just trying to understand the basics of what happens in the programs. Somewhere recently this got discussed but I can't find it.
      12-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have 2 E89 daten files. One is around 10gb in a separate folder in my C drive that was downloaded separately from Std Tools. The other is much smaller and is within the NCS Expert folder.

When you load a module file into NCS Dummy, I think the file is from the Daten within NCS Expert. Is the correct? When does the large separate Daten file get used?

Just trying to understand the basics of what happens in the programs. Somewhere recently this got discussed but I can't find it.
The larger download will include programming (flash) files for use with winkfp and NFS.
Appreciate 1
gjm1202181.50
      12-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The larger download will include programming (flash) files for use with winkfp and NFS.
Thanks. Right after I posted this I found a similar discussion going on in the E90 general forum so I crashed that party. I believe I'm ready to code the blinker count in.

Is there any reason this can't be done from the comfort of a table inside, build the MAN file then connect to the car and code the file in?